Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just received a "new" 700WX as a replacement for a defective Verizon 700W. Unfortuately Verizon did NOT include a CD ROM, so I don't know what I'm missing! Can someone tell me and how would I get a CD?

Also, I was running Microsoft ActiveSync v4.1.0, but am considering a newer version. Can I use a newer version of ActiveSync and if so up to "what" version runs well with the 700WX?

Can I just download ActiveSync from Microsoft's website, or do I need a "customised" version for the 700W?

What would happen if I used Sprite Backup to reload all the old data onto the new phone?

Any other suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for any and all help. I really want this transition to go smoothly with the least amount of frustration that seems so common with these devices.

Tom
    The current version of AS from MS works quite well (as well as any MS product, anyway) and, as far as the CD goes, there was a thread with a download link around here somewhere. I don't know if it is still around but it would be worth a search.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Don't load a Sprite b/u of your "w" to the "wx". I tried it when I was upgraded when the "wx" first came out on VZW and it was a failure. Plus, if your new wx has the recent upgrade on it, that too will cause problems. Sorry, but start from scratch.

Hey, at least you got one heck of an upgrade! You'll be MUCH happier with it.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Grant and Mixman!

According to Palm's website, they only mention (and have availiable for download) ActiveSync v4.2, however the current version is 4.5. Grant, have you actually tried v4.5 with success?

What about the memory card? Can I just move it from the 700W to the 700WX, or will that create problems? Do I need to delete most everything from the card and start over? If I can just transfer the card, will the programs that were saved to the card now run on the 700WX?

How about naming the device. I'm pretty certain I need to enter the "owner's information" (or at least my name) EXACTLY as it was in the 700W, but what about the "device name" should that be the same, or should it be different so Activesync dosen't confuse the two devices?

Thanks,
    Tom
    how did you get the 700wx for 700w? what's the catch? I need to do this...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post
    Thanks Grant and Mixman!

According to Palm's website, they only mention (and have availiable for download) ActiveSync v4.2, however the current version is 4.5. Grant, have you actually tried v4.5 with success?

What about the memory card? Can I just move it from the 700W to the 700WX, or will that create problems? Do I need to delete most everything from the card and start over? If I can just transfer the card, will the programs that were saved to the card now run on the 700WX?

How about naming the device. I'm pretty certain I need to enter the "owner's information" (or at least my name) EXACTLY as it was in the 700W, but what about the "device name" should that be the same, or should it be different so Activesync dosen't confuse the two devices?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom,

Yes, I'm running AS 4.5.0 (build 5096) and I have been running it since it came out. You should have no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by boostinfd View Post
    Apparently Verizon is now (FINALLY!) out of stock on the 700W's, so if you need a replacement they will automatically send you a 700WX. The one they sent me looks brand new! Of course they only send you the phone..., no box, no CD, no manual, no accessories.

Tom
    The programs won't work unless you reinstall them onto your 700wx. This is because even though the program files are on your memory card, the registry keys are not in your new registry.
    As an add-on to TomBoisseau's comment that Verizon is out of stock of the 700w's, they apparently aren't out everywhere!

my original 700w got affected by the 1.22 update so i called verizon up and got sent a new 700w about 2 weeks ago. This new one also had the 1.22 update on it! So i called verizon again and got a new phone sent to me. It just arrived today and it is a 700w and, unfortunately, it has the update on it again. Perhaps i can work a 700wx out of this situation...
  10.    #10  
    I just wanted to post a follow up and say thanks for all of you who responded.

Additionally I wanted to comment on what an AMAZING differance there is between the 700W and the 700WX.

I had my 700W for 18 months. Due to lack of memory I was never able to run "voice activation", and I was never able to put pictures in with contacts. I'm doing all that now! Additionally it used to take up to 20 seconds after a call for the screen to clear and go back to the "today" screen. Now it's just a second or two. Everything moves faster and smoother - not like lightning, but drastically improved!

Thanks again,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau View Post
    Apparently Verizon is now (FINALLY!) out of stock on the 700W's, so if you need a replacement they will automatically send you a 700WX. The one they sent me looks brand new! Of course they only send you the phone..., no box, no CD, no manual, no accessories.

Tom
    Tom - did customer service tell you that you were receiving the WX? Or were you surprised when the phone arrived?

The reason I ask, is that I just spoke to customer service, who is sending me out a new phone because mine is defective...but she never mentioned anything about sending me a WX.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big V View Post
    Tom - did customer service tell you that you were receiving the WX? Or were you surprised when the phone arrived?

The reason I ask, is that I just spoke to customer service, who is sending me out a new phone because mine is defective...but she never mentioned anything about sending me a WX.
    When I called Verison they told me they would be shipping me a WX, however that was because I asked! I don't know for sure , but I think there is a good chance you will end up with a WX. Be so kind as to let us know.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I asked for a replacement today and I on a whim asked them to send me the 700wx and they agreed. The guy I spoke with said he thought they were running out of 700w's and I noticed on the Verizon site they don't offer the 700w phone for sale anymore; just the 700wx.

Maybe all the 700w's with the new firmware are just bricks?

I happened to buy the replacement plan/insurance -- don't know if that factored in.

I wonder how much this is costing Palm/Verizon...

-- mike

Quote Originally Posted by boostinfd View Post
    I received my replacement the other day, and unfortunately it was a 700w again...Hopefully, this one is "defective" and I will push for them to send me a 700wx as a replacement. I will post my progress, if any. Good luck to anyone else trying to get the WX!
    This is my first post and this thread got me to try getting a WX replacement from Verizon Wireless. I used email correspondance to get them to approve a phone replacement for this issue. I called them yesterday afternoon, the day the new patch came out, and they said they would send me a preplacement phone. I asked if it was the same model and the guy said it would be a 700W which is what my phone is. I told him to make sure the old firmware would be on it so I wouldn't run into the same issue as I have now.

My wife just called me to let me know the phone came in. I asked her to open it and look at the paperwork for a model number. She said the paperwork says it is a 700WX and it looks brand new. I have to get home after work to confirm this but Verizon may not have gotten the word out to their customer service people yet of the new firmware so if you call them ASAP you may be able to get "upgraded" to a WX model because of Palm's screwup.

Hope you have the luck I have on this matter! I just hope that I don't run into the same data issues since the new firmware screwup.
    I just got my 700w replaced from issues with the original 1.22 patch. They sent me a 700w that looked unused. It has the newer patch and is not giving the "no modem found" error.

Oh well. 2yrs will be in the spring. Hopefully Vzw will have something decent that runs WM6 by then.

TC
  17.    #17  
    Sorry to hear you had to take another 700W.

Now having a 700wx (for about a month) to replace my 700w (had for 21 months), I can say there is a HUGE differance. Things run much more smoothly and quickly - not as fast as I'd like, but a great improvement over the 700W. The lag when turning on the phone is GREATLY reduced. The "rewriting" of the "Today Screen" after ending a call is MUCH faster.

Problems that have not changed? I still have FREQUENT problems with Blue Tooth disconnecting. For some reason I can NOT get EITHER my Seido or Spectec Wi-Fi cards to work on the 700wx. The Seido used to work on the 700w, howbeit not without issues. And I still need to do a few soft resets a week when the phone just freezes up for no apparent reason, however probably not as many as I did when I had the 700W.

Tom
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I had the 700w for 6 months and was zapped by the update, called verizon they sent me out another 700w when i got that one i called then because it locked up right away, called them and they sent out another 700w but also I talked to them about 3 strike policy they wont tell you about it but if you ask they have to. 3rd strike means they have to upgrade you to the next phone up. so when they sent out my 3rd 700w i just called them and told them it was junk even thought it worked fine and they sent me a brand new in the box 700wx! life is much better since! the 700wx is much faster & things work great! Bonus was they sent out 2 700w's on the same day and have yet to ask or the other one back, so does anyone think I might be able to activate that phone later?
  19.    #19  
    dearls,

I hope this dosen't come across the wrong way, but I really think you should just "do the right thing" and return the other 700W. You'd feel REALLY good about yourself I'm sure!

Just my opinion,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    What Tom said: Return it. You just got one heck of a free upgrade, so what's the point in keeping a lesser device? Somewhere you'll get brownie points for it.
    (here on TC if nowhere else)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast