1.    #1  
    Below is an email response I recieved from VZW's Palm rep concerning the connectivity issue after updating to 1.22.

"
    I am replying directly to this because I fully understand your frustration and confusion.

Here are the technical facts so that you fully understand the issue.

Verizon advanced device software updates actually undergo a very exacting and thorough testing process.

However, we are dealing with both a Pentium class computer (the Intel Bulverde 312MHz processor inside the Treo is the exact processing power equivalent of a Pentium II PC running Windows 98, but without the 250 Watt power supply) and a full dual-band digital cellular CDMA 3G phone.

In the testing process, we tried to incorporate a new network security authentication method mandated by Qualcomm specifications for EVDO networks.

That process is controlled by radio firmware and the network randomly challenges the device for an encrypted firmware value. If the response is not accurate, the device has to shut down the radio for a 60 second interval and later it works again. Unfortunately, as we implemented this new industry required feature (others have not because a full software update is required) we discovered that the Qualcomm chipset programming occasionally would fail that authentication because of a firmware value no one was previously aware of.

We have immediately approached this as an Emergency engineering effort to fix as soon as we received customer reports of the issue.

We have already developed a complete fix and we are now network testing with Verizon to release. We are pushing the schedule as hard as we can for release mid next week at best and September 11 in a worst case scenario. We will re-post the updaters as a Revision B update. Devices that were updated already can re-run the update which will complete in 20-30 seconds without deleting any user data or configurations. Devices that did not previously run the update will go through the full update process and also fix the problem firmware setting at the same time.

In retrospective, the issue was so technically complex and obscure that we could not have done anything better to fix it in advance.

During testing, the data disconnect did not occur at all and it only occurs on a very small percentage of devices, randomly a varied locations within the huge Verizon Wireless network footprint.

As soon as the revised update is posted I will communicate it’s availability to you all.

I apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience as we rectify the situation.

Grant
    "During testing, the data disconnect did not occur at all and it only occurs on a very small percentage of devices, randomly a varied locations within the huge Verizon Wireless network footprint."

How can you have a data disconnect when the problem is it won't connect to begin with? Hope we see a fix next week.
    I'm a 700p user and I'm betting this is exactly the same explanation for our network issues too.
    I did the other update, and the new one did want to erase my phone... so... that's not exactly true.