1.    #1  
    I'm pretty much ready to throw my new 700wx out the window. I would appreciate anyone reading this letting me know if they suspect a hardware issue or whether what I'm describing makes sense.

I took an old 600P in to Sprint this weekend because the touch screen was getting buggy. They were nice enough to upgrade me to a 700wx version. New, out of the box...I was pretty excited because I thought, hey, so much time has gone by that MS must have improved their Windows Mobile OS....and boy, has my experience been an absolute bummer.

On my old 600 I maintained my entire Outlook Contacts list of 6,300 contacts. I don't use them all of course but being able to sync the entire list means not having to "manage" them within Outlook. On my old device I could search, type a few letters -- and basically get to what I needed pretty easily and quickly.

So far (in 2 days), I have had to do 4 hard resets (each one apparently wiping out all my personalized settings like fast-dial pictures, home page personalization, etc), have had to experiment with 3rd party sync features like Chapura, and had the device freeze on me repeatedly.

Most importantly, I have given up on trying to use the device with all my contacts loaded. The phone crawls to an absolute standstill. When I type past the second letter of the name of the contact I'm trying to find the phone goes into slow-down mode for up to 30 seconds. Eventually I don't know whether it's locked or simply still searching. When I'm in contacts it will go to a certain letter of the alphabet but wont' show any contact names. It moves from "line to line" as if they were there but won't show any actual names. Every once in a while as I scroll down names will appear as I scroll on each line (!).

In short, the phone seems absolutely overloaded. I tries using the control / ok button to shut down running programs but that froze the phone and I couldn't get it to soft reset.

Each ActiveSync takes what seems like forever. And why is there no support in ActiveSync for supporting contact categories, which would help me limit the contacts to be synced over more easily? Why would a MS sync program not support a primary feature of MS Office (categories)?! More bizarre, why would a palm product support it instead? Incomprehensible.

As a result I am having to create contact sub-folders which I am sure will affect how I am syncing with Salesforce.com and other programs.

I am now using Chapura to limit the number of contacts I am bringing over (I am trying with 1,000 as I write this) to see if this makes any difference in speed.

I don't understand why my 600P, with what I understand had a lot less RAM, worked so much more quickly than the WX.

What else should I try? Is this speed normal? What is the largest number of contacts people have kept in this phone and still had it work "normally?" How have folks addressed the need to manage categories and contacts?

I am not trying to start any flames here but I am really disappointed and not very impressed. The UI of the phone is absolutely gorgeous and if I could only get it to work I would think it would be very cool, but as it is it's a paperweight.

Help?
    have any 3rd party software installed?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    have any 3rd party software installed?
    No. Only the Chapura PocketMirror stuff, which was well after the fact.

I've calmed down a bit. I resynced for about the 8th time and now, with about 2,000 contacts loaded, the application is working much quicker - almost to the point that it is usable.

I guess this will force me to go and sort, re-categorize and manage my rolodex. I might be able to get this to a manageable size for the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

I've calmed down a bit. I resynced for about the 8th time and now, with about 2,000 contacts loaded, the application is working much quicker - almost to the point that it is usable.

I guess this will force me to go and sort, re-categorize and manage my rolodex. I might be able to get this to a manageable size for the phone.
    Hehe... thanks for giving me the incentive to do the same. I'm an IT consultant. I like having all my current customers and future prospects in my contacts so I know who is calling. However, I have let this grow from the ~300 where it used to hover to almost 500 where it is now. I know these are minuscule numbers by your standards, but now I know the disadvantages to just adding and adding all the time. I've often wondered how many it would take before performance was noticeably impacted.

-Frank
    Last edited by Frankxs; 08/27/2007 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

If you hold down the OK button, and go to the Main tab, what is showing up as your storage and program memory?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    If you hold down the OK button, and go to the Main tab, what is showing up as your storage and program memory?
    I have this working pretty well now. Free Storage is 43.33 MB and Free program memory is 20.35MB.

I have about 1800 contacts in the phone now.