1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Riddle me this....I have 48 Treo's out with users (700w, 700wx, 755p) all of which models work perfectly except 3 of them can NOT browse names from the GAL.

Running Exchange 2003 with SP2 all firewall rules are in place and no issues have been reported except this one. I verified this is not a user error by checking the GAL on that phone myself and verifying that listing actually exists by searching the GAL on my phone with success. (Same Treo model)

Any ideas?

Oh and I've tried soft reset, hard reset and the hockey puck reset method....all with no success.

Thanks for you time in advance!!

-Brandon
    I'm guess your carrier is Sprint? (since you have some 755ps). I know that some users I've worked with who use Verizon, and who had unknowingly installed that useless Wireless Sync software onto the device (mostly accidentally) also had GAL issues.

Wireless Sync ends up greying out the 'Find Online' option.

See if those three users happen to be VZW users, and if they unknowingly launched the Wireless Sync installer app. They may have done nothing more than that, and they may not even know it's there, but i have seen this exact scenario when Wireless Sync (any version of it) ends up getting activated on the device.

Oh and I'm assuming the three units you're referring to are Winmo (since there's no 'Find Online' option, with that specific text, in Palm OS land.)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply JohnnyMac just to clear up we have all Verizon phones except for one Sprint phone.

The devices that have this issue are the Treo 700wx's. (Verizon)

The "Find Online" option isn't grayed out you can indeed push the button however it comes back with no results.
    Did you try a hard reset then setting it back up using your credentials or at least credentials of a user you know is working. If it works as you it possible there is something wrong with the user's Active Directory account. Just to make sure, have one of the failing users setup a device that you know is working.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    Did you try a hard reset then setting it back up using your credentials or at least credentials of a user you know is working. If it works as you it possible there is something wrong with the user's Active Directory account. Just to make sure, have one of the failing users setup a device that you know is working.
    Great thought!!

I will try this. If this is the case do you have any suggestion on what would be holding them back from browsing the GAL yet allowing them to sync in AD?
    Mine is a 700wx on Sprint, but this setting is universal.

Open your email (Messaging).

Then go to: Menu > Tools > Options > Address

Assuming that Global Address List isn't in the list already, click Add.

For directory name enter (without quotes) "Global Address List". Server is the same that you put in ActiveSync to sync against. Username & Password are obvious.
    At the bottom of that screen, check the box "Check name against this server".
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wwejason View Post
    Mine is a 700wx on Sprint, but this setting is universal.

Open your email (Messaging).

Then go to: Menu > Tools > Options > Address

Assuming that Global Address List isn't in the list already, click Add.

For directory name enter (without quotes) "Global Address List". Server is the same that you put in ActiveSync to sync against. Username & Password are obvious.
    At the bottom of that screen, check the box "Check name against this server".

I got super excited when I read this response as it sounds very promising!! However it didn't work for me.

I did however narrow this down to a user related issue. I took a Treo 700w that was working just fine for GAL lookup's and wiped it out. Then put the credentials of a user with this issue to find it carried over the issue....not the phone.

So now I'm looking at AD and Exchange....any ideas on where this issue may lie?
  8.    #8  
    Ok so I found the resolution.

We have strict security policies here which will allow a user to have a Treo but not allow them to access OWA... (Don't ask) Anyway it appears that you must have all OMA and OWA features enabled in order to browse the GAL on the Treo 700w and 700wx.

I've enabled OWA for the trouble users and it now works like a charm!!