Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I just moved from Phoenix to the Chicago area (Palatine) last week and now I can't get any better than 2 bars for my service.

    I've never had a problem with it in Phoenix and also travelled to California, Hawaii & Nevada with no problems at all.

    I checked Sprint's coverage map for my address in Palatine, IL and it's listed as the "Best" area. My friend has a Sprint phone (not a Treo) and we were standing next to each other...she had a full 5 bars while mine was bouncing between no bars and 1 bar.

    I called Sprint and they told me to do a hard reset...complete waste of my time as I had to re-load everything back into my phone and of course it did not solve my problem.

    I still have my Phoenix phone number in the phone but I wouldn't think that would cause this issue.

    Any suggestions on this one?

    TIA

    Joe
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

    Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

    InsigniaFutures.com

  2. #2  
    If possible, do ##DEBUG# on both phones and compare the RSSI reading for signal strength. My wife has an LG Fusic and gets full bars where the Treo only shows 1 or possibly 2. When comparing the RSSI, my signal strength was just as good as her's and sometimes even better.

    The Treo is known to show less bars than other phones. I usually don't have a problem making or receiving calls with 1 bar.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info.

    It's not just a matter of seeing the signal strenght bars...my actual service is terrible.

    It drops almost every call I make and/or I can't hear the caller/they can't hear me.
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

    Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

    InsigniaFutures.com

  4. #4  
    If that's the case, you might try bringing it to a store and see if they can look at it. Another option is to use the insurance (if you have it) and see if they can send you a new treo.

    I'm not sure what the cause of that would be, especially if it worked fine everywhere else.

    Do you seem to just have problems in Palatine? Have you travelled to any other suburbs?
  5.    #5  
    Yes, I do have the insurance so I think that's a good idea to have the phone replaced.

    I have tried it in other areas close to Palatine but still have the same problem.

    I'll try to get to a Sprint store today.

    thanks again,

    Joe
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

    Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

    InsigniaFutures.com

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman View Post
    I just moved from Phoenix to the Chicago area (Palatine) last week

    Sorry about that man! I feel for you. My goal is to do the opposite!

    Anyway, Sprint service is generally pretty good around the area. A couple dead spots along some of the commuter train routes heading downtown, but even those are few and far between. If I'm not near a tower, I generally have 2-3 bars at all times. Of course at the moment I have 4 with an RSSI rate of 95...but naturally that's because there's a cell tower right in the backyard of my office building.

    I'd take the advice from mindfrost, and take the phone to a Sprint store, especially since you've driven around the burbs somewhat, and reception was no better.

    Good luck...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Sorry about that man! I feel for you. My goal is to do the opposite!

    Anyway, Sprint service is generally pretty good around the area. A couple dead spots along some of the commuter train routes heading downtown, but even those are few and far between. If I'm not near a tower, I generally have 2-3 bars at all times. Of course at the moment I have 4 with an RSSI rate of 95...but naturally that's because there's a cell tower right in the backyard of my office building.

    I'd take the advice from mindfrost, and take the phone to a Sprint store, especially since you've driven around the burbs somewhat, and reception was no better.

    Good luck...
    You have 4 bars with an RSSI of 95?!?!? Is that on a Treo?

    If my RSSI is in the 90's I'm usually only getting 1 or maybe 2 bars at best. If I go outside where my RSSI is in the 70s or 80s, then I'll get 3+ bars.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    You have 4 bars with an RSSI of 95?!?!? Is that on a Treo?
    Yes sir. Right now it's at 86-87. Sprint leases space from my company and has a tower right outside the back door of our building. We're right along I294...I literally park underneath the expressway, and since they want have coverage along the interstates, that's why they lease from us.
  9. #9  
    i'm in downtown chicago and mine says -76. is that bad? It says I have 4 bars. My evdo is slow in my office though.
  10. #10  
    The lower the number the better the signal, so 76 is very good.

    We have a tower across the interstate from here. Inside I'm at about 96 (which is pretty bad being so close to a tower), but if I go outside I'll get upper-50s and 60s.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Yes sir. Right now it's at 86-87. Sprint leases space from my company and has a tower right outside the back door of our building. We're right along I294...I literally park underneath the expressway, and since they want have coverage along the interstates, that's why they lease from us.
    86-87 I could see getting 4 bars, but I've never had 4 bars with a RSSI of 95.

Posting Permissions