1.    #1  
    My 700p died and Sprint has phased it out in favor of the 755p... not an improvement in my view. Beside that, I would give up hundreds of dollars in accessories because of the form factor change.

Sprint talked me into a 700wx and I figured why not give Windows Mobile a try. It allowed me to keep batteries, holsters and cradles and was somewhat familiar.

However, I am finding the user interface (particularly the "Start" screen) to be a hopelessly confusing mess and largely illegible regardless of font size. The inability to create "pageable" quickdial buttons (like the Palm OS) without scrolling is an amazing failure of common sense. Button logic is bizarre. From a UI and human factors standpoint I find Windows Mobile a very flawed product.

Are there software products (UI shells) out there that can fix this broken UI? Please let me know if any of you have the same issues and have found solutions... otherwise I may have to return to the 755p.

Thanks!
    SPB Mobile Shell dramatically changed the way I use my device and makes it much simpler to use.

Reassign the Start Button to the Start Menu of Mobile Shell and organize it they you want. It can even order your programs by most recently accessed.

Plus, it won't effect the speed of the device.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Also activate cleartype and you can change font size in the screen menu under settings.

Surur
    SPB Mobile Shell + vBar (freeware, works great) is the best combination I've found so far.

vBar: http://vieka.com/vbar.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by firetrail View Post
    My 700p died and Sprint has phased it out in favor of the 755p... not an improvement in my view. Beside that, I would give up hundreds of dollars in accessories because of the form factor change.

Sprint talked me into a 700wx and I figured why not give Windows Mobile a try. It allowed me to keep batteries, holsters and cradles and was somewhat familiar.

However, I am finding the user interface (particularly the "Start" screen) to be a hopelessly confusing mess and largely illegible regardless of font size. The inability to create "pageable" quickdial buttons (like the Palm OS) without scrolling is an amazing failure of common sense. Button logic is bizarre. From a UI and human factors standpoint I find Windows Mobile a very flawed product.

Are there software products (UI shells) out there that can fix this broken UI? Please let me know if any of you have the same issues and have found solutions... otherwise I may have to return to the 755p.

Thanks!
    It just takes a little getting used to. IMO, windows OS is much easier and quicker than POS.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    I had the exact same situation, I was a long time PalmOS since their first PDA, It took me a couple of weeks to get used to, but now I would never go back. I found that spb pocket plus helped out a lot, I create large Icons of the apps I need quickly and can just tap them with my finger.

Engadget has a great letter to Palm and is worth the read.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/d...-intervention/
    Has anyone else noticed that when using SPB Shell, the battery meter doesn't drain in realtime, per say? I use Resinfo and when the battery meter on ResInfo is at 64%, SPB Shell still detects it at 70%. Only some time later will it actually show 64%.

Is that normal?
    Also, you can load the program TodayAgenda, then disable all other items in your Today screen. This way, the Today screen becomes a 'one-stop place to check your schedule'.

After a week of tweaking, TodayAgenda+vBar+SBP Mobile Shell seems decent. Now, why am I not using an HP iPAQ 6940 with built-in GPS, faster CPU, WiFi, and a longer-lasting battery? In retrospect this would have been a great choice... it also has a touchscreen. Does the 700wx trump the iPAQ 6940 in any way (other than EVDO)?

-b
    Last edited by 700p_isaheadache; 08/22/2007 at 05:15 PM.