Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've been a Palm OS user since the original Pilot, but though I don't like it, I'm starting to believe WM is the future. I'm just starting to explore WM options, so forgive any noob questions.

Without a doubt there are many more phone options with WM, but what about software? Is there a good comprehensive site with a listing? What about an emulator to try and get a feel for WM OS?

Thanks.
    God bless my Treo!
    Make the switch you won't regret it.
    There are several sites featuring free and pay software. Google is your friend.
    FWIW, I don't miss POS a single bit.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    You can download the WM stand-alone emulator.

For commercial software, you can go to the same places you go for PalmOS software, such as Handango or Pocketgear.

For freeware, pocketpcfreeware is pretty good.

Surur
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses.

By the way, I'm really liking the looks of the Samsung i760.
    God bless my Treo!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    Google is your friend.
    FWIW, I don't miss POS a single bit.
    Oh so this site isn't? I'm guessing Google points to most of the topics here. Advantage is that here I maybe wouldn't half to sift through 1,000 pages of results. Example:

MyTreo.net has a great selection of software for Palm Treos and limited software for WM Treo.

freewarepalm.com is a great source for Palm OS freeware.

WM has...

As for your comment about not missing Palm, switching is still making me feel a little hesitant about all the time, devices, money, software, ect I've spent with Palm. Glad to know a happy transistion is possible.

Thanks friend.

Thanks for the link Sur Sur!
    Last edited by ClashAider; 08/21/2007 at 04:21 PM.
    God bless my Treo!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Ugh! I hate being a newb!!!

OK, besides Google, can someone please give me a brief history of Windows Mobile.

I know yrs ago it started with Windows CE. Then it became Windows Mobile.

There seems to be Windows Mobile Standard? Professional? Crossbow?

Oh, and I'll keep Googling while I wait
    God bless my Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashAider View Post
    Ugh! I hate being a newb!!!

OK, besides Google, can someone please give me a brief history of Windows Mobile.

I know yrs ago it started with Windows CE. Then it became Windows Mobile.

There seems to be Windows Mobile Standard? Professional? Crossbow?

Oh, and I'll keep Googling while I wait
    Start here.
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=10680

then

Wikipedia is always a good source.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile

Surur
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Double thanks and kudos. I grumbled about the Google crack, but never again will I ask a question without first checking wikipedia!
    God bless my Treo!
    also note that not all WM devices are made the same - for most folks, a WInMo Treo is a vastly different user experience, than say, a generic WInMo device. And specifically that i760 thing.

My <point> is that Palm did a great deal of work to make WinMo more one-handed, more intuitive, and overall, just easier to use than other devices. Yes, WinMo 6 minimizes that difference somewhat, but still - try a WinMo Treo while you also try that i760 (or any other slider device) and you'll see a major difference. maybe hard to to tell, jsut playing around in a store for a few minutes, but if you give both a real run, you'll see a big difference.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    also note that not all WM devices are made the same - for most folks, a WInMo Treo is a vastly different user experience, than say, a generic WInMo device. And specifically that i760 thing.

My <point> is that Palm did a great deal of work to make WinMo more one-handed, more intuitive, and overall, just easier to use than other devices. Yes, WinMo 6 minimizes that difference somewhat, but still - try a WinMo Treo while you also try that i760 (or any other slider device) and you'll see a major difference. maybe hard to to tell, jsut playing around in a store for a few minutes, but if you give both a real run, you'll see a big difference.
    I currently have a Treo 650 and you make a very good point about one handed operation. A slider would have to be well organized to be usable on the fly.

As for a WM Treo...if I'm not happy with i760 usability, I'll wait for the 755P. Form factor (specifically screen size), is what's drawing me away from Palm, but I love my 650.
    God bless my Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashAider View Post
    I currently have a Treo 650 and you make a very good point about one handed operation. A slider would have to be well organized to be usable on the fly.

As for a WM Treo...if I'm not happy with i760 usability, I'll wait for the 755P. Form factor (specifically screen size), is what's drawing me away from Palm, but I love my 650.
    I moved from the 650 to a Wizard (MDA). No regrets at all. It is a night and day difference, but expect a learning curve and be prepared to tweak!
    When I jumped across enemy lines and got my first WM phone while coming from Palm OS Treo line....I actually emailed all the software guys that had dual OS versions of the products. Some said I had to buy it all over again full price, a lot of them gave me an upgrade price which was often times just a token amount, while a few just gave me a free WM version just for asking.

Besides a few utilities (Butler with diming all the lights by the time of day comes to mind), I have never been wanting anything I had on my POS phone that I could get on WM.

I am finishing the first part of a multipart series of a WM Beginers Guide for WMExperts.com . One of the sections I am going to include will have a listing of links to software sites on the net.....so keep an eye for it on the Blogs page...as I think it will help you quite a bit when you first make that jump to the dark side.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I just made the switch too. When Palm came out with Foley I tossed in the towel.

I've started to put together a list of useful, free Windows Mobile software here:
    http://timestocomemobile.com/useful-...obile-software

I'll add to it as I dig up more loot.
    If you are an extreme WM newb like I was then this may help http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101080

As far as apps go feel free to list your palm apps and I'll give you the closest WM version.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Yep, I'm yet another who just made the switch. Picked up an almost-new 700wx on Craig's List a couple of days ago. I have to remap all my neural paths and muscle memory now, since I've been using PalmOS Treos for over 3 years now! WM impresses me as just much more stable, and less "clunky" although of course it's taking me 10 times longer to do anything because I don't know the OS barely at all. Thanks for all the links, they are definitely helpful! Now if only my hosted exchange account would come back completely (1&1 had a server melt-down yesterday) so that I can try to get ActiveSync working...
    Twitter: @dvdmon