Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I've read a lot of information about GPS (bundle) system for the 700wx. I must confess as a new Treo user it's confusing as to which selection is right. I have looked at TomTom Nav 6 (+mini SD), iGuidance V4, Magellan System, CoPilot Live 6/PC Edition and Palm's GPS Edition 2 (TomTom 6 Nav). They all seem to be compatible but I'm leaning toward either TomTom or IGuidance. I like them both but want to know from the folks who have experienced using any of these systems which makes one better than the other. I want to be able to use my bluetooth and the receiver has to be portable. Any knowledge or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Searching for a GSP System

Pap
    I have been using iguidance v3 ( i haven't bothered to update to v4) with a globalsat bt-359 bluetooth receiver with no problems. Works just as well as it did on my Axim X51v. No lag, works perfectly. I haven't tried TomTom so I can't advise you on that.
    I have a BT-359 Bluetooth Receiver as well.

I'm using iGuidance v4. I tried TomTom and I like the interface but the maps didn't seem as good as iGuidance. I got the new version (v4) because it actually has my subdivision with the new maps.

iGuidance v4 also has text-to-speech which will announce street names. No other PDA GPS program has that feature (yet).
    TeleNav announces street names. (at least it did when I used it before I gave it the boot, for Google Maps [free and totally simple to use, even with my Holux tiny GPS unit]).
    Telenav has to use your internet connection because it downloads the maps as you drive, same with Google Maps. This is great because they are usually the most recent maps, but it really sucks if you lose your signal somewhere.

Last year I traveled to Georgia (in the mountains of nowhere lol) and I was using Telenav, but once I got off the major roads, Sprint completely lost service and I couldn't even roam. With TomTom or iGuidance, you wouldn't have that problem since you'll have a GPS signal, all the maps are loaded on the phone.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I also use the BT359 GPS unit and my 700Wx. I have iGuidance 3 and TomTom6 installed.
    I prefer TT6 because of the fact that it uses the soft keys which makes it easier to use when driving. But, iGuidance is solid and takes full advantage of the smaller Treo screen.
    iGuidance does update maps more frequently, if I'm not mistaken, so if you need the most up to date, iGuidance 4 might be it.
    Do all bluetooth GPS receivers require the use of a monthly service such as telenav? Or can I just buy a bluetooth and plug and play with no monthly fee???
    Quote Originally Posted by 700wx4real View Post
    Do all bluetooth GPS receivers require the use of a monthly service such as telenav? Or can I just buy a bluetooth and plug and play with no monthly fee???
    You can use Google Maps and Windows Live Search for free, but they aren't true GPS solutions. You can track your location and get directions, but it doesn't speak them to you like a true GPS app would.

You don't need Telenav at all. You can buy iGuidance or TomTom (usually around $100, but sometimes cheaper if you buy it bundled with a BT GPS receiver). Those programs don't have any type of monthly fee, you just buy the program once.
    Has anyone tried this:

Globalsat Compact SD502 GPS for Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm going with the iGuidance BT-359. I appreciate the insight.

Pap
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm going with the iGuidance BT-359. I appreciate the insight.

Pap
    Quote Originally Posted by 700wx4real View Post
    Has anyone tried this:

Globalsat Compact SD502 GPS for Treo 700w
    I haven't tried that one but I'm going to post a detailed Review for the similar Spectec 2-in-1 Bluetooth GPS Receiver with Micro SD Memory in a couple of days on www.wmexperts.com

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Just to add my 2 cents after the fact. I have both Inav 4 and TT6....and yes the map data Inav 3 and 4 was better than TT5 all that has been resolved in TT6.

I like Inav's voice announcement, but TT6 is just WAY WAY more polished as a pocket pc application. Inav is simply a port of a windows application to the PPC. TT6 plays nice with touch screens, sending and receiving phone calls, and multitasking. I used to be a big INAV fan, but since I upgraded to v4....I've become bitter. I was hoping for more, it was a waste of my money both times for v3 and v4. TT6 kicks INAV's ****, up and down.

I'm hoping TT releases TT7 for PDA. Then I'm sold.!!!!!!!!!
    I have tried TT6 with the most recent maps and they still didn't have a few subdivisions in my area where iNav 4 does. The subdivisions are about 2 years old. iNav 3 didn't have them either. So for my area, iNav 4 is still has more complete maps than TT6.
    Inav just doesn't play nice on my Treo 700w or my Treo700wx. It's ALWAYS complicated and time consuming to hook up to my BT GPS, ...whereas TT6 is effortless.

I agree TT6's maps can be confusing, I don't even remember which version of maps I'm using, but I know my friend has a slightly different version of maps and his data is older, but for me and my navigation TT6 has been really reliable.

I think I've hit the nail on the head when I say INAV is a windows app that has been ported to the PPC where as TT6 is a PPC written application (and for me a PPC/Phone written application) through and through.
    If TT7 is released and it announces street names and it has a map with all of the roads in my area, then I would consider switching. I did like the interface of TT and I like the way the maps look better, but I have to stick with iNav because of the TTS and newer maps.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Try the Garmin Mobile 10. All the maps are loaded directly onto the phone (SD Card) and the GPS receiver is made by SiRF, so the sensitivity is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradg33 View Post
    Try the Garmin Mobile 10. All the maps are loaded directly onto the phone (SD Card) and the GPS receiver is made by SiRF, so the sensitivity is pretty good.
    I've been interested in trying Garmin Mobile, but you have to use their receivers right? You can't use any old BT GPS receiver...atleast that's how it was before.
    I don't know about receivers....but I do know you HAVE to use their SD card, and not load it onto your own 4gb SD card.