Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Ouch...

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html

We have taken down the Verizon Wireless Treo 700p and 700w/wx updaters as a result of increasing customer reports of network connectivity issues following the updates. We are currently investigating the issue and will re-post as soon as they become available.

The reported error displays "Error 3000 - Data network is not available" when attempting to connect to the data network. This error does not affect your device or personal data in any other way. Thank you for your patience.

CLICK HERE

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo View Post
    Unbelievable! This company has no clue what they're doing. Someone please buy this company out and give us the innovation and support we need.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Unbelievable! This company has no clue what they're doing. Someone please buy this company out and give us the innovation and support we need.

Sheesh. Do you think you could do a better job? It sure it easy to criticize...

At least they have owned up to the error.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    Sheesh. Do you think you could do a better job? It sure it easy to criticize...

At least they have owned up to the error.
    No, but I'm not a multi-million dollar company either. How can you defend Palm? They haven't put out anything innovative in years and their current lineup is buggy to say the least. They can't even get Bluetooth to work properly in their phones and now they put out a bad update. It's nice of them to "own up" to the error after everyone already updated their phones.
    I think that eventhough this was a pre-existing condition, at least Palm is trying to look into it. For all the quality products they do have, and for as much as my WX will do, the glitches are tiny, and not enough to ruin the device for me. I can't wait for the fix, that will make the WX as close to perfect as any other device I have used.

I hope this fix comes soon though!!!!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    It would be nice if they gave us a real Bluetooth update too.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    No, but I'm not a multi-million dollar company either. How can you defend Palm? They haven't put out anything innovative in years and their current lineup is buggy to say the least. They can't even get Bluetooth to work properly in their phones and now they put out a bad update. It's nice of them to "own up" to the error after everyone already updated their phones.
    It's easy to defend since it happens all the time:

ppc-6700 ROM update: disabled data 'ring through', so no calls while on Ev (took almost 6 months for the fix; the community ended up hacking it after about 4). It also significantly lowered the earpiece volume, which is when I decided to ditch.

Motorola Q: ROM update within 4 weeks of release to fix phone issues. They also disabled DDTM (ring through) on the initial release, failed to fix it on the 1st rom update and finally fixed last week, 8 months after release. So Sprint users have been missing calls for 8 months on the Q due to Moto screwing up twice.

In other words, while it certainly stinks this is current situation we're in as consumers. If OEMs had more direct access to updating e.g. bypassing the carriers, these fixes would be quicker like the Apple model.

As far as the buzz word "innovation", that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Anyways, at least to this recent forum poll, 95% of 700 users are either fine with their treo or love it (75% in the latter category).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Microsoft has yet to put out a Windows version that isn't bug free, let alone updates. They're certainly bigger than Palm.
    I'd also throw it out there that it's Verizon's job to thoroughly test all Updates for their phones, so why is no one blaming them?

You would figure that their testers would have caught this, after all it's their job to do so why else are the customers paying Verizon?

I wonder if they’ll put out an update to their updater?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'd also throw it out there that it's Verizon's job to thoroughly test all Updates for their phones, so why is no one blaming them?

You would figure that their testers would have caught this, after all it's their job to do so why else are the customers paying Verizon?
    This is one of the reasons we put our products in the customer's hands during development. We can't possibly test for each conceivable scenario in the lab. Field testing is a very important part of product development for us. I believe Palm and the carriers could benefit by doing so too.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    This is one of the reasons we put our products in the customer's hands during development. We can't possibly test for each conceivable scenario in the lab. Field testing is a very important part of product development for us. I believe Palm and the carriers could benefit by doing so too.
    Feild testing is one thing. But sending out an update that everyone (Palm and Verizon) say is fine is not the way to go. And then to only put out an update that is .02 in versions. Come on Palm. Give us a REAL UPDATE.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso2501 View Post
    I wonder if they’ll put out an update to their updater?
    Now...I know this may be taken with a grain of salt, but for what it is worth, I spoke with a VZW CS agent, and he told me the fault with the upgrade (as known at this point) only affects the data connection (duh), and if I didn't want to deal with it, they would replace my phone with a phone that has the prior version of the upgrade (1.1 ???) on it. He did mention they are looking into it, and he estimated a month or so to get the new upgrade out (THAT is the part you can take as you will).

Mine has the data connection error, but it is actually better than it was before the upgrade, so I am living with it untill the new update!!!
    While I agree that I'd love to see perfection, the fact is that, with the number of lines of code invovled, the use of third-party software and the complexity of the hardware, the fact that ANY of these devices work at all is nothing short of truly astounding.

Sure, I'd like to see these devices perfected, and I'd love it if they could truly do everything I want them to do, but, despite all the complaints, no other company seems to be doing significantly better.

The most important thing is to acknowledge shortcomiongs and fix them if possible. In this area Palm could do better, but certainly is somewhat hamstrung by the way the phone gets distributed and supported by the phone companies.
    The outrage over the screwed up MR is that anyone with half a brain would see the issues within 10 minutes of using it. Allowing such obvious problems to make it to a maintenance release points to bad QA on Palm's part.
    so, what's the actual problem? We've updated several VZW 700wx's with no problem. Is it the actual ROM version, or is it a problem with Palm's updater software since they pulled the 700p version too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    so, what's the actual problem? We've updated several VZW 700wx's with no problem. Is it the actual ROM version, or is it a problem with Palm's updater software since they pulled the 700p version too?
    The problem seems to be selective...it does not affect ALL phones. What is seems to do, is interfere with the data connection, not allowing the modem to connect.

Now...personally, I had that problem before the update (as well as many others as seen in a few threads in this forum), and the update seems to have actually improved my data connection just a bit (not much, but it seems a bit more reliable now).

I hope this helps a bit, I am going by my experience, and per my conversation with VZW that I outlined in a prior posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    The outrage over the screwed up MR is that anyone with half a brain would see the issues within 10 minutes of using it. Allowing such obvious problems to make it to a maintenance release points to bad QA on Palm's part.
    Right but this still forgets Verizon's role: they do extensively test all product patches and updates, just like every other carrier does. Palm, just like every OEM, has never been allowed to update the ROM without carrier testing and approval. This is no different.

So if "...anyone with half a brain would see the issues within 10 minutes of using it" why or how did the Verizon testers miss it?

Why not hold them and Palm accountable? That's why you pay Verizon: quality assurance for the device and services. This update had Verizon's stamp-of-approval.

As far as why such an incremental upgrade, once again ask Verizon. They contract out Palm to make devices and as a carrier they decide what needs to be fixed and addressed in a ROM update. They can also request newer OS builds...for a price. If they don't want to pay Palm, then you do not get a new OS build. That's how it works. Say Palm has WM6 for the 700 working: if Verizon doesn't want to foot the bill, you don't get it. It's not Palm's decision.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/14/2007 at 03:29 PM.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Perhaps I'm just lucky, but the updater did wonders for my WX's bluetooth performance. I followed the instructions about not doing any sort of registry restore after the update (which for me meant I just started reconfiguring from scratch). So far, so good.
    I am so happy this happened! So happy! I had the problem both before and after the updater. At least they finally got enough complaints to look into it. Geeze, earlier, when I filed a written problem report with Palm, they told me they never heard of this problem. Even though there were numerous reports of same on their own support website! GEEZE! Yeah, go ahead, ask me how I really feel!

-Frank
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast