Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Now...I know this may be taken with a grain of salt, but for what it is worth, I spoke with a VZW CS agent, and he told me the fault with the upgrade (as known at this point) only affects the data connection (duh), and if I didn't want to deal with it, they would replace my phone with a phone that has the prior version of the upgrade (1.1 ???) on it. He did mention they are looking into it, and he estimated a month or so to get the new upgrade out (THAT is the part you can take as you will).

Mine has the data connection error, but it is actually better than it was before the upgrade, so I am living with it untill the new update!!!
    I just called Verizon and asked for a replacement Treo w/o the firmware update. The rep said that all the Treo's have the update and it's impossible to get a Treo w/o the applied patch. She also said they are working on the issue and have no estimate s to when an update will be out. I then asked for a credit of the data charges since I've been having this problem and she said she could not do that. She finally told me to call Palm and see if they have any suggestions.
    I love my WX but palm really stinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'd also throw it out there that it's Verizon's job to thoroughly test all Updates for their phones, so why is no one blaming them?

You would figure that their testers would have caught this, after all it's their job to do so why else are the customers paying Verizon?
    I don't have any inside knowledge of how they do their QA, but I do have 20 years of QA experience, and this whole situation is laughable. (Not just the one incident - the multiple incidents) In fact, the Treo 700w never should have passed QA as a device at all.

They are both to blame. It's idiotic that these issues are as bad as they are considering the dual-testing model they use, and the incredibly long time to market. I agree that Apple's model is better. I hope it wins out over time. (I wonder though)

I believe that the feeling around here is correct, and you all shouldn't back off. Whether or not anyone acknowledges it, you're still correct to expect better Quality Assurance (testing) than you've gotten. Getting used to bad QA doesn't make it good QA. It just means you had no choice. Lets not make any excuses for them, unless we want this to go on forever.

These devices are NOT being tested the way they should. End of story. They are being far too secretive about simple updates, and should have groups of real users testing under non-disclosure, with many different configurations. What would that have solved?

1. The 700w would never have been released
    2. The latest patch would never have been released
    3. Bluetooth might not have sucked as hard as it did on treos

One of the problems I suspect is that the testers are NOT real users. This is a real problem. They aren't using the devices the way WE use them, so how in the world are they going to find the defects.

Believe it or not, I really enjoy my 700wx. (After being forced to buy two phones to get one that worked. 700w - 700wx) (I didn't apply the patch for the reasons mentioned here) Once the iPhone is 3G I'll be moving for the reasons mentioned above. When the software or firmware is broken, I want an update this week, not in 12 months.

trio
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumba220 View Post
    Ask again for the credit, act like you will not budge and you must have this credit, then ask for her supervisor, then ask for that person's supervisor, go as high up as you can and complain as much as possible and you'll get your credit. They almost always say no at first. But why should you pay for data if you can't connect?
    My thoughts exactly. They can't expect you to pay for a service they cannot deliver because of a patch they issued. Call and do not get off the phone until you are satisfied.

CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by lespaulist View Post
    I just called Verizon and asked for a replacement Treo w/o the firmware update. The rep said that all the Treo's have the update and it's impossible to get a Treo w/o the applied patch. She also said they are working on the issue and have no estimate s to when an update will be out. I then asked for a credit of the data charges since I've been having this problem and she said she could not do that. She finally told me to call Palm and see if they have any suggestions.
    Like Bumba said...keep calling....different reps say different things. The one I spoke with was very definite with having devices without the upgrade. If you stay after them enough, it is amazing what they can 'all of a sudden' be able to do for you!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Like Bumba said...keep calling....different reps say different things. The one I spoke with was very definite with having devices without the upgrade. If you stay after them enough, it is amazing what they can 'all of a sudden' be able to do for you!
    My phone was working fine after the upgrade, that is until I did a hard reset. Once I did the hard reset - then I lost connectivity to the Internet on my phone. I called Verizon this morning, and reported the problem, and they've said that they're sending a replacement (almost wrote "new" - which we know won't happen) phone without the patch.

If I have to wait more than a day or 2 to have this fixed - I'm dumping the 700wx and going Blackberry.

Between the bluetooth, modem issues and other glitches on the 700 series I'm very close to the breaking point.
    I know I said this already, but, I am really am delighted this happened with the 1.22 updater. This has got to be very embarrassing (and costly) to Palm and the carriers. This is exactly what is required to give them the incentive to actually fix this issue fairly quickly. If it were not for the embarrassment (and having to publically post the specific symptoms of the bug) they may never have fixed it. I am now, at least, confident that a fix will be forthcoming. Something I didn't really believe until this updater fiasco.

-Frank
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I got my replacement 700wx this afternoon; sure enough, it came with the patch. The Version 1.22. I can connect to the Internet, but then again I could with my previous patched phone. It was only after a hard reset that I couldn't connect.
    sorry guys. after installing update and hard reseting, reinstalling everything, my 700wx has never been better. Bluetooth is better than ever. No other probs or connection issues.
    Verizon sent me a 700wx as replacement for the 700p MR/internet issues and even though the 700wx had 1.22 pre-installed, I'm not having any connectivity problems.

This is truly a baffling issue, but one thing is clear: Palm really screwed up. I personally hope Apple launches a more PDA-oriented version of iPhone on CDMA networks and kills Palm entirely. That is my wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    Verizon sent me a 700wx as replacement for the 700p MR/internet issues and even though the 700wx had 1.22 pre-installed, I'm not having any connectivity problems.

This is truly a baffling issue, but one thing is clear: Palm really screwed up. I personally hope Apple launches a more PDA-oriented version of iPhone on CDMA networks and kills Palm entirely. That is my wish.
    The iphone was shopped around, Verizon turned it down. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...tm?POE=TECISVA

Seeing as how Apple wants control and revenue sharing, and how Verizon likes to control everything, I doubt we will see an iAnything on VZW soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    ...This is truly a baffling issue...
    Yes it is baffling. I have had three 700wx brand new units. All with 1.20 to begin with. Every one of them had the connectivity issue (with no add-on software at all). Then I upgraded my current one (the 3rd) from 1.20 to 1.22 and the connectivity issue remains. Yes, baffling that others do not have the issue.

The only thing that works for me, and it works every single time, is to cycle the radio off/on just before my Internet connect. Then it works perfect, the first attempt, every single time.

-Frank
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12