Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see the refurbs are going for $99 right now. I have had a 680 since Dec, and it is pretty good, really no complaints. The only thing that interests me is the 3g capability of the 750, and the possible better build quality. I remotely interested in a Foleo, and or tethering a laptop at some point, so the 750 would be the better choice for that. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the next gen, hopefully smaller device. I have always been a Palm OS guy, would Win Mobile drive me nuts?
    I have both units and choose the Palm OS. Generally more 3rd party software (cheaper), and easier to use. the Palm OS definitely has whiskers and will likely die in the next few years, but you'll probably be on to another phone by then.
    WM5 or WM6 are both stable, but compared to the Palm OS, slow and very "nested". You've got to go through menus and windows-type conventions. For a desktop system, that's fine IMO, but for a mobile system, give me "quick and easy" over "deep and robust" every time.
    Don't get me wrong, I like WM6, but on a day-to-day use basis, I prefer the 680.
    If you're waiting for a smaller form factor, don't hold your breath. The trend is for fuller size (often hidden) keyboards or iPhone (on-screen) keyboards. If you want an easily accessible off-screen keypad, you can't get much smaller than the Treo. It's already considerably smaller than the basic Blackberry, or other key phones. You really can't make the screen or the keypad smaller and keep it functional. Battery life (therefore size) limits how small you can make a PDA type phone also. If you read these forums, one of the biggest complaints is battery life. The battery in the 680/750 is substantially smaller than the 650, and it really can't get much smaller with current technology.
    The good news is that for $99 it won't hurt too bad if you don't like it. You can always sell it for that much.
    I had a Treo 650 and now I have the 750 and to be honest I prefer the WM os over the Palm. The one thing that I liked about the 650 is when I hit send for an email it sent it right away. With the 750, I hit send and then have to go the the menue and hit send/receive for it to actually send. For some reasue it basically puts it in que for the next time you hit the send/receive.... annoying! There is a ton of software for the 750, it may be cheaper for the palm but what ever software you have for your 680 there should be an equivelent for the 750.

$99 is cheap as all heck, kind of a no brainer if you ask me. Especially considering that just 2-3 months ago I think it was still $299. As far as the form factor, I don't think it's going to get any smaller. My 650 was pretty much the same size but the 750 did lose the antenna which is nice. I guess it just comes down to the OS and if you can adjust to WM. If not, throw the 750 on e-bay or your local craigs list.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update
    Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    I had a Treo 650 and now I have the 750 and to be honest I prefer the WM os over the Palm. The one thing that I liked about the 650 is when I hit send for an email it sent it right away. With the 750, I hit send and then have to go the the menue and hit send/receive for it to actually send. For some reasue it basically puts it in que for the next time you hit the send/receive.... annoying! There is a ton of software for the 750, it may be cheaper for the palm but what ever software you have for your 680 there should be an equivelent for the 750.

$99 is cheap as all heck, kind of a no brainer if you ask me. Especially considering that just 2-3 months ago I think it was still $299. As far as the form factor, I don't think it's going to get any smaller. My 650 was pretty much the same size but the 750 did lose the antenna which is nice. I guess it just comes down to the OS and if you can adjust to WM. If not, throw the 750 on e-bay or your local craigs list.
    Just to let you know, email on WM6 is much improved. When you hit send it automatically sends, and there are keyboard shortcuts (for example, pressing and holding 'S' will do a send/receive).

I had the 650 and then moved to WM5 PPCphones, and have stuck with the latter. Not such a big fan of the PalmOS anymore, but it still works for many people.
    gadgetluva, thanks for the heads up on the WM6 and it automatically sending the email when the send button is pressed. I didn't know the trick about holding the s button, thanks for that as well. I just thought it was weird that with WM you had to basically send the email twice. I agree with you about the Palm OS, after the Treo650 I switched to the 8125 and never looked back. I looked at the 8525 but to be honest, the slide out keyboard drove me nuts and I missed the lay out of the palm. I don't think I could ever go back to the palm os.

I have the WM6 update sitting on my computer at home but I'm too much of a chicken s**t to install it. This is the only phone I have, I don't have a home phone at all so if I somehow screwed it up I would have to go out and buy another phone which I don't want to do. Looks like we should be getting the official update soon though so I will just have to wait.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update
    wookie, unlike the PalmOS version, you don't have to worry about bricking the phone if your upgrade goes awry. The process is a no-brainer. And you can always go back to WM5 if you don't like the results. There are some minor improvements in WM6, but the speed and responsiveness is the thing you'll really notice. If you do it, though, don't restore your apps from a backup. That's where you'll have some crazy things happening.
    get it! get it! get it! I wanted to wait for the refurbs to come out but wanted the 3G so i paid the 299 or whatever it was a few months ago. I got a refurb 650 and it was totally worth it. almost like new in fact. Used it for almost 2 years before it finally crapped out on me due to dropping it so many times.

Things I love about WM is that there is true multitasking. something i missed in the palm os. for instance, when loading up a web page, i can grab a call or check my calendar, etc and go back to IE and the page will have loaded. With blazer, id have to make sure that i didnt have to leave it when a page was loading.

Also, having recently upgraded to WM6, i noticed that i get the hsdpa connection more often than I did running wm5. not sure why, but thankful for it nonetheless. I also get better connectivity. sending emails was a drag in wm5, but as noted earlier, when sending an email, it auto sends it right away. The only thing truly missing is being able to have a copy of the sent emails actual be saved in the sent emails folder.

At $99, the 750 is a steal and you wont look back...after you get used to it of course.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Where can you get one for $99 ?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Are they still on everyone's Premier site? They seem to be gone from mine.
    Jeff
    I dont see the refurb 750 on my Premier site either. I just noticed they were gone yesterday.
    i bought one on the $99 deal, very good phone, my only drawback is that my speaker is broken so it sounds really low, i'll have to call AT&T to get a new one.

i used to have a treo 650 and am glad i went with a 750. i was going to go with the 680 but wanted to try out windows media so i went with the 750.

go for it, you won't regret it!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    If you check my post, my phone is frozen, ( bad screen and hard reset , ) so i cant even get to the premier site and get one

How else can i get one?
    What is the premier site?
    Business site for business telco admins.
    HP iPAQ 6515 -> Cingular 8125 -> Samsung BlackJack -> Treo 750
    I got one of the 750 refurbs a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it! Now I'd like to get one for my husband (who's still using a 650), but I can't seem to find any more of the $99 750s as an upgrade option (for my husband's line) on the Premier site.

Are they out?
    I got my refurb last night. AT&T gave me another $50 instant rebate for upgrading my phone via the internet, so the whole thing was only $50. I figured I spend more on beer in a month so I took the plunge.
    I just had an online chat with a Premier person and they told me that the refurb 750's are out of stock now. Now ETA of if/when they will be available again. They told me to keep checking the site for availabilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by menlow View Post
    I got my refurb last night. AT&T gave me another $50 instant rebate for upgrading my phone via the internet, so the whole thing was only $50. I figured I spend more on beer in a month so I took the plunge.
    What?! I didn't get the extra $50 rebate and I also upgraded online! Bummer. Not that $99 wasn't a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by menlow View Post
    I had mine online on friday 3rd for $99.99. No instant rebate either.

Are you business or regular customer?
    I think the rebate is FAN specific. I just ordered my wife a refurb 750 last week and my FAN has $25 off equipment purchases once you check out your shopping cart. So the 750 only costed me $75
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast