1.    #1  
    Hey guys, nice forum! I've read up a lot on MortScript these past few days and I like what you've done! ;-)

I am looking for a registry setting where the cell tower ids are kept. I'm trying to keep track of cell towers I have nearby but have no idea where to look for that information. I'm imagining it might be kept in the registry but I don't really know.

Any hints?

I'm trying to see if I can do something like TinyGPS which is not supported on WM5 to save me those embarrasing moments when I forget to change profiles. (I don't want to change profiles based on time)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    I doubt this info is in the reg anywhere. I think the only way to get it is from the RIL. That means C++ code.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/aa923065.aspx
    I'll put in my 2c since I looked into this previously:

I don't know what kind of phone you want to do this on, but on the Treo it may be a lost cause...

Alot of the RIL routines, including the cell tower specific ones return E_NOTIMPL. I've even tried going directly to the modem using the AT commands to query the radio, but they return no info.

Still, it may be implemented since "Sprint Family Locator" works on the Treo 700wx. But if they are retrieving A-GPS cell tower info, it's hidden deep in a proprietary interface somewhere.
    On the XDA it is not implemented either, but they were able to get the info using a RIL_DevSpecific call. That's probably the case for the treo also I bet.

Ref: http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive33-2004-7-17238.html
    Last edited by hannip; 08/08/2007 at 02:05 PM.
  5.    #5  
    I have a Moto Q WM5 in case it does make a difference. Thanks for the info...
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    On the XDA it is not implemented either, but they were able to get the info using a RIL_DevSpecific call. That's probably the case for the treo also I bet.

Ref: http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive33-2004-7-17238.html
    As far as I know, the RIL_DevSpecific calls just trigger specific AT cpmmands at the modem layer and FWIW, I did experiment with most of the riltest code found at xda-dev, with no luck

Based upon what I've seen on my Treo, Palm does very little to properly port interfaces that involve hardware. As long as Palm's software works with the hardware, they don't seem to care about the API's.

I'm sure it can be done... in the end I just found it much easier to buy a $40 bluetooth GPS
    hmm, bummer. Hopefully the rumors are true for the 800w. That is a feature I would really like built in. I want GPS anywhere without having to drag around a separate unit.

onagrote: You may have better luck with the Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    hmm, bummer. Hopefully the rumors are true for the 800w. That is a feature I would really like built in. I want GPS anywhere without having to drag around a separate unit.

onagrote: You may have better luck with the Q.
    Agreed. Built-in GPS and wifi would be great, we'll see...