1.    #1  
    as he sheepishly crawls into a WinMob area...

I have had a Palm Verizon Treo 650 for years. Absolutely love it!
    But I am afraid it will eventually die and need to be replaced... also I am itching to use EVDO (my expensive data charges on Vzn include it, but I can't get it on the 650) and to get more memory would be cool as well. I am very reluctant to throw away all my PalmOS/Garnet stuff, but am getting very frustrated with Palm.

The 700P had problems that the Maintenence Release in many cases made worse. The 755P may reportedly still have problems as well. I have a lot of SD cards, and so does my better half, so going to a 755P (and even a 750 Win Mob) would be a bummer, and require a quirky reverse adapter to use these cards even temporarilly. I am afraid all the new Treos may forgo the standard SD cards (755 and 750 have already). This push for sleeker and thinner is of no interest to me. I even added a hump-back battery door to my 650 so I could use a bigger battery, but I am afraid Palm will be forgoing this bigger formfactor in favor of tiny phones.

As much as I love the ancient Palm OS, I may have to (gulp) consider going to the darkside and at least give WinMob some consideration. The 700wx has standard SD cards, EVDO, is on my verizon network, and seems like the most logical choice if I go the WinMob route. It's older now, but how does it compare with the 750? Both have about the same memory, so the 700wx seems a great choice for standard SD cards.

One thing I am concerned about is having to sync with outlook, I don't even use it at work, and have a lot on my phone that is not work-related, so I guess I could try using my home PC to sync with?

I would need an ftp program to upload to a few different PC's for work.
    Also- How's the blogging software out there?

Of course, I could go to another non-Palm WinMob phone.
    Or my 650 may last another 3 years. Any thoughts??

Thanks Muchly...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Get it. You won't be sorry. It's 10x the device that pos is.

I can't speak to the 750, but the wx is awesome.

Resco file explorer comes with an FTP plugin. My complaint about resco is that there's no option to not remember the password. This is a big flaw.

Total Commander (free) can also FTP.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=125981

Others have been happy switching. There will be an initial learning curve, but after a week or so you will feel right at home.
    Verizon swapped my defective 700p for a wx and I'm not turning back. I can do so much more with this thing -- it feels like a computer -- but POS is exactly that. The best part of the 700wx, any WinMobile device, is that it multitasks. When you send a SMS message you can immediately move on to do something else while the network connection is negotiated and message is sent in the background. The POS just freezes up until it's finished doing what it's doing, taking you along for the ride.

On the flip side, my coworker just exchanged his 700wx for a 700p, citing constant freezes and numerous problems with the wx. I don't know what he was running, or whether he had a defective unit, but just so you know that the 700wx experience isn't universally great.
  5.    #5  
    This is me, wavering over what to do, the other guy must be Ed...

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/di...-20070805.html

New url for it...
    Last edited by duanedude1; 08/08/2007 at 10:01 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    This is me, wavering over what to do, the other guy must be Ed...

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/di...-20070805.html
    HAHA thats funny.......but yes get it u will be very happy and its fully cutomizable
    Get it if you're willing to put in some time and effort to learning the OS.

Get it if you do multimedia streaming (Sling and Kinoma, among others, in the background is a beautiful thing).
    Get if you can give it a few weeks to adjust to a new way of doing things.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I also might suggest...wait a few weeks?

Rumors are starting up that the Sprint 800w is coming soon (8/30), while I doubt it's that soon (the SKU is in Sprint's database) you might kick yourself for not waiting for it.

Verizon is also supposed to get it sooner than later.

Reports have said it will have Wifi in it and maybe even GPS. Definitely WM6 with a 320x320 resolution and if you're coming from POS, you'll appreciate that over the 700wx's 240x240. It'll also probably be thinner.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #9  
    uh, like I said, thinner is not a selling point to me.
    Thicker and better battery life is more important, but I'm afraid the lemmings are forcing everybody to go anarexic on us. I guess I'll never see a standard Sd card in a phone again, or a good-sized battery? bummer

That 800W looks cheapy... and translucent keys- what were they thinking, I gotta see the writing on them without unneeded see-through plasticy stuff.

thanks for all your suggestions...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    uh, like I said, thinner is not a selling point to me.
    Thicker and better battery life is more important, but I'm afraid the lemmings are forcing everybody to go anarexic on us. I guess I'll never see a standard Sd card in a phone again, or a good-sized batter? bummer

That 800W looks cheapy... and translucent keys- what were they thinking, I gotta see the writing on them without unneeded see-through plasticy stuff.

thanks for all your suggestions...
    There are no pictures of the 800w. The pictures you saw are of the low-end 690 series for POS. This is the closest yet and it looks to be larger:

True, the thinner might mean lower battery life, but probably not. Case in point the Sprint 6800 is 1/3 thinner than it's predecessor, yet has a larger battery and longer life. Plus no one expects Palm to release a device that is extremely thin...just thinner. If lemmings ='s the market, then sure. But that's business.

Wifi is also a selling point for some with a high resolution screen and new OS (Wm6).

Re: SD card Get used to it. Everyone is switching to Mini or Micro as it is the obvious choice for reduction of size and adding other features, so just bite the bullet: no more SD devices. And since we're talking about a $600 phone here, I can't see how $30 mini or micro SD cards will matter too much...

Plus I was just throwing the info out there since a replacement for the 700wx is right around the corner and might be relevant for those who are buying a new device.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/07/2007 at 04:47 PM.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    There are no pictures of the 800w. The pictures you saw are of the low-end 690 series for POS. This is the closest yet and it looks to be larger:

I saw this on Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/05/m...eo-800-series/

And I knew there was no way that device that was pictured was going to be Palm's top of the line device. This looks to be the non-touchscreen Smartphone that's been alluded to in the past.

If the 800 has wifi then there really is no argument for which type of SD the device uses (oh wait there was a mini SD wifi card wasn't there?)...

CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo View Post
    I saw this on Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/05/m...eo-800-series/

And I knew there was no way that device that was pictured was going to be Palm's top of the line device. This looks to be the non-touchscreen Smartphone that's been alluded to in the past.

If the 800 has wifi then there really is no argument for which type of SD the device uses (oh wait there was a mini SD wifi card wasn't there?)...
    Yeah, they got that info from PIC, but I really think it's incorrect as you pointed out, it looks exactly like the WM smartphone edition, which is "low end" compared to Professional. So they'll have two low-end: POS and Smartphone; two high-end: 800w and 800p. The 800p is rumored to be using POSII but is delayed to next year.

Low end, WM Smartphone "Gandolf" w/ 240x320 screen. Not 800W.

True, I think there are miniSD Wifi and or GPS, but too be honest, they
    (1) Don't work very well (even the Palm Wifi card is buggy)
    (2) Are inconvenient since you have to remove your card and carry it around with you. Plus, they've been putting the miniSD cards on the side on some devices, which would be awkward.

I am the new owner of a 700wx courtesy of VZW. My 3rd refurb Moto Q died and the store informed me that was the only replacement. Period. I've actually been very happy with it. Had a Treo600 years ago - this is much better. Phone is fine, battery acceptable, operating system stable (thank God) and no major gripes after a week with it.
    The WX is a great device that wont let you down giving you more then garent could f,sure...You will not be disappointed.
    I have noticed that the 700wx has better wireless reception and holds the signal better in fringe areas. The man 700p's that I've had would always drop out in certain areas where the 700wx works without any problems.
    I was in the same boat...went from Palm to WM Treo.

I am glad I did. The device is much more stable. The multitasking is great.

The performance is not as "snappy" as the Palm OS, but that's because it can do a lot more.

I agree if you can wait 2-3 months, the 800w would be the way to go. But if you need regular SD, go with the 700wx.

I was able to find replacements for all my Palm apps that were Windows Mobile versions. They aren't perfect, but good enough.

I could never go back to a Palm OS device now. The sync with Outlook is perfect, and the multitasking is great...you can sync via BT and do something else (ex phone call or web stuff) at the same time.

And ActiveSync works well...once connected, it automatically updates calendar/contacts/todo as they changes on the desktop PC...no more need for manual hotsync.

Try it out...once you get used to WM5, you'll like it.
  17.    #17  
    By losing the Palm PIM desktop, I suppose I'd have to install Outlook (not the free Outlook Express?)... would I need a server, or could I leave my home PC on all the time to sync? Could I instead get away with Firefox/Thunderbird or Open Office, and sync to that?

I suppose I could get my work email (we have no server) like I do now (Chatter substitute?) & AOL/Gmail some other way, not needing either a server or an always-on PC?

You mentioned syncing calendar/contacts/todo... what about Memos? (Word Docs??)
    Thanks muchly for all the advice!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    I have both a 700p and a 700wx. I carry both. I am a doc and I have had the 700p for more than a year (I go back to 1999 with Handspring Visor DX)and got the 700wx 3 weeks ago. Our hospital uses a bunch of medical software on the wx and has remote control of each device and can restore it over the air. The signal reception is identical for both units, in the hospital and around town and at home. I have hacked both for bluetooth Dial Up Networking. Both have identical 120-150 kbytes/s when paired to my IBM laptop. The screen is much better on the 700p. On Demand is better on the 700p (big whoop). Both devices have about 13 mb free space in RAM. There is a similar delay on the 700wx to the 700p when switching programs, (I have done the 700p maintenance release). Pocket internet explorer allows a bit more function and sign ins than does Blazer. Speed for internet browsing the same sites is just a little faster with Blazer, believe it or not. I use Good mobile messaging on the Palm, OneBridge on the 700wx. Good is instant push email. OneBridge I syc every 12 minutes during the day. Battery life is 15% better with the Palm versus the window using this setup. It takes some time to get used to Windows going from Palm. You will need a file manager such as Total Commander (free). I like how programs can run in the background on WM when the device screen is off. Obviously, I have much more Palm stuff, but other than the lower resolution screen and the worse battery life, the devices are really similar, the delay between launching programs being similar. I will have to try Style Tap to see how many of my Palm programs can run on WM. Even as a Palm Power user with lots of programs in the background (profilecare, pToolSet, mobile clock, MbLaunch, Good, Textplus) stability has not been a problem with the 700p. I have SPB phone suite and SPB mobile shell on the wx. The automatic profile switching doesn't work well at all.
    Best of Luck!
    Jon
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi All,

just switched from MotoQ to 700wx. One thing that drives me crazy is no back button? or am I missing something?

Please help!
    Yes, you can sync memos and docs...there are selectable options.

As for Outlook, you don't need to set up you own server...you can pull your email from your ISP.