Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,
    I am in need of some help. I just picked up a Treo 750 and I am having problems with overall battery life of the phone. I have determined that this problem stems from the constant connection to the U or G networks. Currently, I have a pop email address set up on the phone (gmail) and I have it set to connect and check for mail every 60 minutes. I donít need the email immediately; this is only a personal email account.
    I also downloaded and got the GB-Soft Tweak running on my phone, but I donít believe that it is doing anything. Even though the phone is only supposed to connect once an hour, I will pick it up, look at it and it is giving the symbol that it is connected. I will manually disconnect it, and set it back down. Usually, I will pick it up and look at it 5 minutes later, and the phone is re-connected.
    Another odd quark of the phone is that while I have it set up to connect every 60 min and check for emails, it seems to be checking constantly and delivering them to my phone almost instantaneously.
    The only reason that I have determined it is the pop connection that is draining the battery, is once I delete the email account from the wm outlook inbox, the phone doesnít have any reason to connect itself to the net. This gives me great battery life. If I leave the email box set up, my battery life is awful.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
    There are several threads on Treo 750 battery issues that you can search on this thread for good info.

But, here are a few that I know can help

1. Force your treo into GSM only mode unless you really need 3G. You can go into settings, phone, services, band selection, GSM only. That will probably double your battery life right there.
    2. Change the contrast on you screen.
    3. Turn off all the unnecessary chirps and sounds that serve no purpose.
    4. Download a back light off program and turn you back light off in the day.
    5. Download Windows mobile 6(search threads), more efficient operating systems to windows mobile 5.
    6. Train your battery by topping the charge off for a couple of weeks. Most people have said their battery life stabilizes after the batter gets trained.
    7. Last but not least buy a oem extended siedo 1600 mah batter that the same size is the 1200 oem standard that comes with you phone. It will get you 25% more battery life so they claim.

Hope these help.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Jason,
    Thanks for the help. But believe it or not, I have already done most of those things. I already have my phone locked into GSM, rather than the 3G. My contrast and backlight are set pretty low, and I usually keep the phone on vibrate. I am working to condition my battery, but in regards to buying a new one, I want to decide if I am going to keep the phone. I am also worried that the upgrade to WM6 will void my chances of taking the phone back. If I do a hard reset, will it drop the phone back to wm5? Or am I stuck with WM6?

I guess my main concern is with some ways of getting the phone to auto disconnect (and why GB-soft is not working on my phone). I really appreciate the help though.
    How long have you had the phone? You should give the battery a couple of weeks to build up charge. Most people complain about terrible battery life in the beginning but then it levels off. If battery shows no improvement then you might try investing in another standard battery or oem extended battery. graylion posed in seido 1600 thread that he is getting great battery life with his 1600 battery.

You could wait for the official WM6 update which sounds like it should be out in a couple of weeks. I doubt that would get negate you warranty if you. The windows mobile 6 leaked update is actually the att rom.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    I think you should keep the phone, but that just my opinion. I can go through a entire day and keep my battery will be down to 40-30% by the end of the day. I also check my email manually.

I also heard somewhere that palm itself is working on a oem 1800 mah battery.

If your an email is your main purpose for the phone, you might consider going over and getting a blackberry curve. Blackberry's have great battery life and the best email services. I hear the operating systems is far more stable than palm as well. Only thing is I hear that there is very limited third party applications.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    As Jason said, you have to give the battery a good 2 weeks.
    @2-4 days battery life is horrible (4-6 hours.)
    @2-3 weeks the battery is close to it's maximum life (up to 18 hours.)
    The more you re-charge it, the better the battery life gets up to about 3w to 1month until you hit the battery life which should be a couple of years.

I have noticed that the screen back light is a huge contributor to battery drain. Having it at 6 vs max is a big difference in battery drain.

Leaving the data session connected but unused should not contribute to battery drain any more than the phone is already just being idle and on the network But I can't back that up with any technical authority.

The real WM6 update should be out this week. You could wait a few days and see if there's any news and try to flash it with the real update in order to return it if that's what you want to do. At least then it's just as if you updated it with the official release, not a leaked ROM.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks again guys. I have had the phone for a little over a week now.
    Here is what I find odd. I am getting decent battery life, its actually not too miserable if I don't have the pop email set up. If I don't set up at all, i can go a whole day with decent usage and wind up with 80% of the life at the end of the day.
    If I have a pop email address set up, I can tell that the phone is accessing the network to pull data (emails). I usually will burn the battery all the way down by the time I get home from work (and the phone just sits on my desk). I don't use the phone at all during the day. I have a blackberry already (for work) and I can go 3-4 days without recharging it. That’s why I was so surprised with this phone.
    Any thoughts about GB-soft? Why it isn’t doing its job? Also any thoughts about why I am getting almost instant email notification if my phone is only set up to check every 60 minutes?
    Checking email every 60 min should not drain your battery like that. It should have a rather small impact on the battery life for that matter.

When you manually disconnect the data (tap on the icon at the top, select disconnect) does it re-connect right away?
    Does it connect rather quickly?

There is a bug in the WM5 version of pocket outlook on the Treo.
    There at two ways to set the mail checking frequency.
    1) Menu>Delivery Preferences
    and
    2) Menu>Tools>Options>(account)>next,next,next until you get to the screen where you pick how often the mail checks.

Method #1 is supposed to be a shortcut so you don't have to do Method #2.

However, it doesn't work as expected. I have no idea how this bug got past QA and in to the release considering how big it is, but it's a bug.

What you do in method #1 doesn't override what you do in #2 and vis versa like it should. It works in WM6 (I confirmed,) but not in WM5.
    As a result, DO NOT use method #1, as it seems to be broken.

Do method #1 and uncheck it (set it to manual.)
    Then go in and do method #2 and set it to 60 seconds. You may even want to change it to 59 save it, then go back and set it to 60 just to make sure it re-saves the settings.

Manually check you mail, then manually disconnect the data and keep an eye on it to see if it only picks up the data connection again in 1 hour.

I have 1 mail account set at 60 min and I have no problem getting through the day. I also have a push mail account set up through Seven software for outlook email.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I will give that a shot. Seems like it is working so far. I will let you know what sort of impact it has.

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Things are running a little better, but I can't get GB-soft tweak to work on my phone, any suggestions?
    I am having this issue on WM6 using Live Mail. Any ideas?
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2