View Poll Results: How is your Treo satisfaction?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love my Treo 700WX. You must have had a dud.

35 71.43%
  • I hate my Treo. I want to drive over it with a steamroller and set it on fire!

3 6.12%
  • I am indifferent. My Treo is fine.

11 22.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I just ditched my Treo and bought a Motorola Q.

Warning - this is a rant - so if you don't want to read it, move on please. Otherwise, here goes. If you work for Palm, please take this as constructive criticism. If you are a shopper, avoid this thing like the plague. And if you are an owner of a Treo 700WX, I am sorry.

The only feature I will miss is the stylus and touchscreen. Other than that, Palm can have their Treo. I can't believe they released this thing - it is unstable, slow, and unreliable. This POS has been a thorn in my side for the two months I have owned it. Good riddance.

Here are a list of the problems I had with it (700WX):

Required daily soft resets, as it locked up all the time
    I would turn on speaker phone (like when on hold) and when the party would answer, I would try to turn off speaker phone, but I could not, and the party could not hear me.

BlueTooth totally unreliable, and audio quality horrible. Many people complained they could not hear me (Motorola H700 Blue tooth headset used). BlueTooth would "turn off" randomly. I conquered this by disabling all power saving features, but then the phone sucked the battery dry in about 9 hours.

Phone started waking me up randomly (Zombie alarms) that were NOT PROGRAMMED! I had to perform a full hard reset to eliminate this problem.

Phone would keep ringing after I answered a call!

Phone kept telling me battery level is critically low even though it is charging or charged up.

Phone was waaaay tooo slooooow. You click on things, and get the windows "wait" icon far too often.

BlueTooth voice commands not available through BlueTooth headset.

Even the Sprint guy I spoke with this morning while activating my Q said that the BlueTooth on the Treo is horrible.

This device is garbage and I am glad to be rid of it.

The Q I picked up is fast, thinner, lighter, has good BlueTooth with voice command, and the audio quality is reported as good from the people I called. Maybe the Palm engineers should pick up a Q and see what they need to strive for.

Just my .02. Flame suit on.
    Last edited by DiMora; 08/01/2007 at 08:57 PM.
    A bunch of us bought the Q when it hit Sprint and gave up on the 700wx.

Some came back (including myself). You'll quickly learn that the Q is far from perfect as well and has "issues" e.g. it's slow as molasses, battery life is not as good, the screen buzzes, roaming/network switching is flaky, for some it's just as buggy as any WM device including problems with the phone aspect, it's quite wide/not as ergonomic, feels cheap etc.

It has it's perks: nice screen, BT is exceptional, small and thin, nice speaker phone, profile support.

It's all trade offs. Just have to find what works for you. I can say that a lot of your issues are not experienced by 700wx users and it's a shame you did. But don't expect the Q to be a panacea for everything.

Good luck.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    A bunch of us bought the Q when it hit Sprint and gave up on the 700wx.

Some came back (including myself). You'll quickly learn that the Q is far from perfect as well and has "issues" e.g. it's slow as molasses, battery life is not as good, the screen buzzes, roaming/network switching is flaky, for some it's just as buggy as any WM device including problems with the phone aspect, it's quite wide/not as ergonomic etc.

It has it's perks: nice screen, BT is exceptional, small and thin, nice speaker phone.

It's all trade offs. Just have to find what works for you. I can say that a lot of your issues are not experienced by 700wx users and it's a shame you did.

Good luck.
    I certainly cannot judge the Q yet, as I just got it today.

However, it is twice as fast as the Treo so far. There is no lag when I am using its features - unlike my Treo which constantly gave me the "Windows Waiting" icon.

Also, the Voice activation and BlueTooth voice quality is really nice. And my Treo battery life was the worst I've ever seen since I had to turn off all the power saving features to get my BlueTooth to quit dropping. I am on a couple of these Treo forums (I was looking for solutions) and many people have just given up on Bluetooth with the Treo.

I hope I don't grow to hate the Q as well.

Thanks for the well wishes...I just want something that works well. I hope your palm continues to work well for you. I also hope Palm perfects their design - the Treo would be awesome if it was fast, stable, and had good bluetooth.
    Sometimes I wish my 700wx was thinner....but then I remember how much I like the touch screen and really would miss that if I ever switched. I also like the fact that I can actually manipulate data with a stylus and browse the web by touching links versus scrolling down through pages and link by link. That's got to be annoying on the Q. But to each his own I guess. Glad you found a device that suits your needs well.
    As a business user, I can say the Q comes up short. Strictly as a Multimedia device, its excellent. The bluetooth is great, A2DP works fantastic. Sling box was great, really no complaints.

However, as a business tool, it just comes up short;

1) Key board is awfull. Missings letters constantly. I spent more time going back correcting my mistakes than I did typing the email. That wouldnt be so bad but.......
    2) No spell check. On a data centric device running Windows this is simply unforgivable.
    3) Not cusomizable at all. I have my treo's font setting set to smallest so I can see as much as possible on the screen. The Q setting are basically Huge, not so huge and not huge but hardly small.
    4) Today screen offered little in customization. I found one program, "facade" and it really wasnt great. No programs offered like Mobile Shell, pocket plus or the like.
    5) Would get painfully slow, especially during a data connection.
    6) Memory management- I believe the Q had 52 megs of Ram which on the surface sounds great. But, open WMP and you drop down to about 8 megs. Not good.

So again, its all about trade offs. I suprised you didnt try a different Treo. form what you describe you had a lemon.

Just to add, the Q is very close to being a terrific device. Maybe with the WM6 Upgrade it will address some of the issues I described. If that becomes the case I would seriously condider going back to it. its amazing how close Moto came to releasing a truly great device. but its been out now in various forms for over a year and they still have not improved the keyboard. I guess thats why moto's financial outlook is so poor and their CEO is on the ropes.
    Last edited by nyc_rock; 08/02/2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    IMHO, the #1 thing they (and microsoft) need to work together on is...

FREAKIN' MEMORY LEAKS !!!!!

No manufacturer (including Palm) is ever going to get WM devices into the mainstream, unless they fix the damn memory leaks. This is the main issue that is driving the NEED for soft resets etc. It even plagues the wx, but you guys have a bit more room for leaks than us poor 700w users.

I don't know what leaks are like on the Q, the mogul, or any of the other PPCs, but it would be really nice to have a STABLE device that didn't just randomly lose memory for NO REASON!
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post

No manufacturer (including Palm) is ever going to get WM devices into the mainstream, unless they fix the damn memory leaks. This is the main issue that is driving the NEED for soft resets etc. It even plagues the wx, but you guys have a bit more room for leaks than us poor 700w users.

I don't know what leaks are like on the Q, the mogul, or any of the other PPCs, but it would be really nice to have a STABLE device that didn't just randomly lose memory for NO REASON!

Do you have Memaid?
    The poll results are strongly pointing towards user error or a defective device.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    3rd party software or registry hacks done?
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.

I have no memory leaks, never have. Has to be a 3rd party program you're using.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have no memory leaks, never have. Has to be a 3rd party program you're using.
    Or user error.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Wm6!!!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I am not totally happy with my 700wx but from looking at everything else on the market I am staying right where I am. And I would never switch from the Treo to a Q. Oh no never. Can't stand not to have touch screen.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    I have both the 700wx and the Q... I got the Q first and I recently picked up the 700wx. But all the complaints on the treo you had, I think you're going to hate the Q. Battery life is weaksauce. I had to soft reset all the time to get the thing to work right, and the thing is I barely have any 3rd party applications on it. The main thing that attracted me to the Q was that it had a full keyboard and it was slim. But the blue tooth on it is great.

But I can't stand the Q compared to the 700wx. The Q is a fun basic needs phone and that's it. But i'm hoping that when the Q9 comes out that they will have fixed all the majors issues with it.
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...
    See my previous thread. I got a Q on VZW (the original model, not the black Q) in 11/06 and went through 3 units in 10 months (all software related deaths). Absolutely the worst phone I've ever owned. Crappy reception, abysmal battery life and slow, buggy software. VZW sent me 2 refurbs as warranty replacements and I was thrilled when I hit 3 strikes and the thing died last Friday night. I really wanted a Crackberry but that wasn't on "the replacement matrix" and I've been pleased with the 700wx they gave me so far. It works, I'm happy If VZW decides to grace us with a CDMA version of the BB Curve, I'll be shopping. Otherwise, I can hang tight with the 700wx and be a happy camper. $0.02.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Well, all I know is that I can do a hard reset on my 700w, install very little (Google maps, Scot Seligman's Launcher, and the hide-logo.cab). And then after a few days and a few e-mails (which get deleted as soon as I've read them), my memory just leaks away.

Using task-manager, it just seems there are a couple of processes that just get bigger and bigger over time... device.exe, services.exe, and filesys.exe. These are not 3rd party programs! I tried MemMaid but didn't like the interface and found it to be a memory hog.

And yes, I am running the latest VZW update.

I use Oxios closeapps and hobernate at regular intervals, but after about a week, with nothing running, and after executing both these apps, and cleaning out the PIE cache, I'm still left with only 8-10MB of free ram. I appreciate some of you thinking this might be "user-error", but I dread to think how someone without access to the resources on this website is dealing with such issues? This is not a minor problem for W users.
    Well, all I know is that I can do a hard reset on my 700w, install very little (Google maps, Scot Seligman's Launcher, and the hide-logo.cab). And then after a few days and a few e-mails (which get deleted as soon as I've read them), my memory just leaks away.

Using task-manager, it just seems there are a couple of processes that just get bigger and bigger over time... device.exe, services.exe, and filesys.exe. These are not 3rd party programs! I tried MemMaid but didn't like the interface and found it to be a memory hog.

I use Oxios closeapps and hobernate at regular intervals, but after about a week, with nothing running, and after executing both these apps, and cleaning out the PIE cache, I'm still left with only 8-10MB of free ram. I appreciate some of you thinking this might be "user-error", but I dread to think how someone without access to the resources on this website is dealing with such issues? This is not a minor problem for W users.
    The 700W just flat out blows. If you can swing it, upgrade to the WX and you'll find a phone that does what your W should have done all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    The 700W just flat out blows. If you can swing it, upgrade to the WX and you'll find a phone that does what your W should have done all along.
    +1
    assurion insurance replaced my w which had a few non-working
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.

Do me a favor and ditch the launcher for a couple days and see what happends...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had the Treo and the Q, the Q is a cheap piece of crap, sorry to say. The treo was actually very good, but I switched to ATT for the iPhone and am loving it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast