1.    #1  
    I recently got a 700wx, switched from a 700p. I was REALLY disappointed with the battery life on the phone. Even on a full battery, by about 6pm the phone was pretty much drained.

I figured Goodlink (corporate push email) was probably the culprit, so I uninstalled it so I could run some tests. Turns out the battery drained just as fast without goodlink. The phone was constantly warm like the radio was stuck on all the time. I finally turned off regular IMAP retrieval, which I had going ever 1/2 hour to my personal email account. Battery life went thru the roof - at the same time in the evening my battery was still at 75%.

Now I need to be able to sync email, so I was pretty bummed, so I did some experimenting. What I found interesting is that there are two places to specify how often email is retrieved. The first place is in the account settings, on the last page, if you hit the options button, you can specify how often to check email and whether to download the entire message, etc. The second place is from the Menu softkey in the inbox, there is a menu item, Delivery Preferences, that also allows you to specify retrieval times.

Here is the kicker: when I had BOTH retrieval schedules checked at 30 minute retrievals, the WM5 inbox got direct push email from my IMAP account. There was about a 30 second delay, but it was like WM5 knew when it needed to go download an email. It also caused the radio to be on almost permanently, which accounted for the massive battery drain. Now for personal email, instant delivery isn't that important, I prefer the longer battery life. Once I unchecked the retrieval schedule from the Delivery Preferences menu, email behaved and checked email every 30 minutes. Battery life is great and I get email sync every 30 minutes.

I'm still intrigued by the push IMAP email phenomenon. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what the point of having 2 retrieval settings is?
    Most of us are using ms direct push through a windows server at work or a hosted account. Run a search for "hosted exchange"

IMAP is a dying technology...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Most of us are using ms direct push through a windows server at work or a hosted account. Run a search for "hosted exchange"

IMAP is a dying technology...
    Not everyone has a Windows mail server. Many of us work from home and don't run our own mail servers, instead using IMAP mail on our hosted domains.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    Not everyone has a Windows mail server. Many of us work from home and don't run our own mail servers, instead using IMAP mail on our hosted domains.
    It is a legacy platform with many users, I dont doubt that. But it is dying.

When you can get hosted exchange for a few bucks a month and get true push email, plus calendering and tasks what is the point of having anything else?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2