Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that this topic has been covered/is being covered within other threads, but i thought it might be interesting/helpful to those who haven't upgraded to see a thread dedicated to simply users impressions/experiences with WM6 on their 750's.

For myself, i will admit i was a bit apprehensive of updating to WM6 since this has been my first WM phone. I had good success using hacked/leaked ROM's on my PalmOS Treo's in the past...but i digress.

For the record, I have a locked, Cingular (now at&t) Treo 750.

I have found the experience to be excellent! The upgrade process was very smooth with simple instructions. I would say i am an average user, certainly not a beginner, but not an advanced or power user my definition. So what have i noticed:

1) Speed - programs seem to run quicker, open faster and even with several running at once, i haven't noticed a slow down.

2) Battery Life - this one surprised me...but i was out of my office all day yesterday, using email, text messages, and the phone regularly and with WM5 i would have had to change batteries or at least charged it during the day to make it through - yesterday i got home about 6pm with still 30%+ left on the battery - i was very impressed.

3) Data transfer speed - goes without saying that HDSPA is awesome! Especially when tethered to your laptop. I don't have the occasion to use this much as most places have hot spots, but i wanted to see how it worked and was happy with the results.

4) You can now fully charge your phone with the sync cord from your computer - very nice feature.

5) miniSD card has not disappeared in over 48 hours - huge!!!

6) Vibrate function - seems to be stronger and certainly lasts longer...a very nice feature when wearing it on my hip.

I think that is it - hope this is helpful to other users.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    2) Battery Life - this one surprised me...but i was out of my office all day yesterday, using email, text messages, and the phone regularly and with WM5 i would have had to change batteries or at least charged it during the day to make it through - yesterday i got home about 6pm with still 30%+ left on the battery - i was very impressed.
    I have experienced I would say a 10-20% decrease in battery life since upgrading to WM6. I don't know if you use Exchange sync and push email, but I can tell you that the battery life has definitely a hit with this update. I find that the 750 now uses a bit more juice even when sleep mode. This is in no way a scientific measure, but just an observation over the couple days since upgrading the device.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    I do use EAS for push email. If you use the same, then i am not sure why we are having difference experiences.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    I do use EAS for push email. If you use the same, then i am not sure why we are having difference experiences.
    Just curious, are you in a 3G area? Most of the time, I am.

It seems as though others are experiencing the same issue:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...148727&page=13
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  5.    #5  
    I would agree from the thread, others are experiencing the same. Yes, I am in the western suburbs of Chicago and am in a 3G area.
    Jeff
    I went back to WM5. My experience was not good at all: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=148865&page=2
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    JN, I've found that I am also experiencing more battery life.
    sorry about this.. but i just thought you guys might help me..... i still not able to install WM6.. i have the file loaded on my SD card.. root folder right??? well i tried the resetting than after that.. theres nothing... just seems to be a regular soft reset.. thanks in advance
    follow the directions listed in the upgrade thread. format your card to fat32 first.
    JCB, please post your disagreements with this update. I noticed in your post you went back to wm5, because of issues. This update has been rock solid and a huge improvement for most people and we would like to hear the unsuccessful experience in detail to see if they may be an issue for us too. Don't just post negative comments with no explination.
    how do i format to fat32?
    I haven't seen a decrease in battery life either, I don't use EAS for pushmail though. I am in a 3G area most of the time.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I also experience at least 30 percent increase of battery life after upgrade.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I'm using a Cingular Branded Treo 750 unlocked. I think the upgrade has been rock solid since my install last weekend. I especially loved the fact that my Bluetooth Audi is finally working properly!!!! I did post a thread in a few places in TC about the bluetooth issues. Do you think that AT&T's final version of this upgrade will be any different?
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    4) You can now fully charge your phone with the sync cord from your computer - very nice feature.
    I've seen this mentioned several times. I'm still on the official ROM (WM5) and I charge from a vanilla OEM sync cable all the time. There is no charging indicator but the charge does go up. Even my fiancée's Palm Tungsten E behaves the same. Charging via sync cable is not a WM6 feature.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    true, but now the led indicates it's charging and you get the be-doonk sound like you were plugging it into an AC charger
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  17.    #17  
    I stand corrected then, i didn't realize i could charge my 750 with WM5.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Have you noticed the backlight on the screen coming on often? Mine does, usually during a sync, it didn't do this before.

Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I have experienced I would say a 10-20% decrease in battery life since upgrading to WM6. I don't know if you use Exchange sync and push email, but I can tell you that the battery life has definitely a hit with this update. I find that the 750 now uses a bit more juice even when sleep mode. This is in no way a scientific measure, but just an observation over the couple days since upgrading the device.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Agreed to all the points in #1. This is a GREAT upgrade.

One feature that I found particularly great is "Internet Sharing" (or Internet Connection Sharing). No more DUN is needed. Either use USB or Bluetooth and the laptop is now 'sharing' the Internet connection with the Treo. Thumbs up!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I was one of the posters in the thread linked to from within this one that mentioned I lost battery life.

Earlier today I fooled myself into thinking that I was doing better -- before I realized that I plugged my Treo into my car charger during my 23 minute commute this morning and again when I made my morning rounds to a local construction site (30 minutes). The car charger seems to do a great job of giving it a quick charge that enables me to get through the day. That's fine, unless I'm flying everywhere and don't have a good place or time to charge.

I know this isn't very scientific, but I would encourage others to wait for the GM version to come out later this month before flashing. I won't go back to WM5, but I did download the ROM just in case things go awry. This is a nice update, but unless you're a geek just wanting to play with the ROM (nothing wrong with that!!!!) it's probably not worth the loss of battery life.

Just my $.02.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast