1.    #1  
    i will be traveling in europe in a few weeks and i am looking for suggestions for adapting my treo 750.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Make sure that your carrier has enabled international roaming. Check into the roaming charges, particularly for data. You may need to change some settings for data - see your carrier's web site for information.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Unlock the thing so you can use a local carrier whilst in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by tom-eihpm View Post
    i will be traveling in europe in a few weeks and i am looking for suggestions for adapting my treo 750.
    Roaming is pretty outrageous in Europe. T-mobile is $1/min and I think AT&T is nearly $1.20/min. Forget data as the rates are vastly more expensive than here in the US (at least roaming). Even if you decide to risk roaming with AT&T over in Europe I would highly recommend you disable Activesync and any data connection while there.

As far as voice, if it is only a one-off trip to europe and you won't be returning there very often, I would agree that you ought to just pick up a local SIM card and change your US voice mail to let people know your temporary phone number. This will be the cheapest option by any measure. Well....of course this presumes you can get your phone unlocked by AT&T for free.

If you plan to do business in Europe and think you'll be traveling there more frequently then you may want to get a global SIM. I use one from Telestial that is a UK mobile number but the rates wherever I go in the world are very reasonable. Again, this is for voice only - I've yet to find a global SIM that has data as well. When I travel to Europe I just make sure I stay in hotels with hi-speed internet and check email in the morning and evenings with my laptop. Unless I am expecting an important email, at which time I will temporarily plop in my US SIM and check my email.
    Hi

Definitely I suggest to get one of the local SIMs, they have some Pay as you Go services (buy additional minutes when you need them, it's alittle more expensive than normal service but you're not stuck w/ a contract) and, if you're not staying in one country only during the trip, the roaming charges in Europe are way better (there was a law passed by EU to lower the roaming charges). Make sure that you get your phone unlocked though, w/ ATT may take about a week to get the unlock code. Also, since you have a 750 device, if you need data, make sure that the provider you're getting the SIM from has 3G/UTMS/HSDPA - happened to me last year, I've got a SIM from a provider w/ GPRS and 3G only, no EDGE and I was stuck w/ GPRS at the time (Cingy 2125). Good luck and enjoy the trip, I am envious ....

HC
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, a big help.

i haven't asked ATT for unlocking code yet.

i guess i should.

just dont have another card here to use for the unlocking.

Tom
    You have to have someone, a colleague, a girlfriend, a neighbor w/ a phone from another GSM provider (like T-mobile)
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-eihpm View Post
    Thanks, a big help.

i haven't asked ATT for unlocking code yet.
    i guess i should.
    just dont have another card here to use for the unlocking.
    Tom
    IF they give you an unlock code I'll be surprised.

If you do get one, just go to a local T-Mo store, or other retailer who carries T-Mo or other GSM carrier. Hopefully they (workers) will let you quickly borrow a SIM to unlock your phone.

Last edited by mrjasjit; 08/03/2007 at 12:13 PM.
    I will also be traveling in a couple of weeks and was curious about this. I'm not worried about making phone calls, but I live by data and text. It seems there aren't that many (decent) options as far as data and text? (I'll be in Dublin and London.)

AT&T will charge $0.02/KB of data and $0.50 for each outgoing message while roaming internationally. I don't suppose there are any local carriers that offer a decent data plan that's not tied to a contract?
    You'd have to do something locally for sure. I used AT&T/Cingular roaming once for data and ended up with $500 just in data roaming charges alone. If you use Activesync be sure to set it up for manual updates only.

But you are right, there aren't too many good options. SMS might be OK but data is going to cost you no matter what you do in my experience. If you find a reasonable cost alternative please do let me know....I'm always open to learning new ways to save money on my cell phone usage when traveling abroad!
    $500 on data? Ouch! Yeah, I'm going to try and stay away from that ...

What about using the WiFi card and finding hotspots?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    T-Mobile UK do data capped at 1 a day with a Pay As You Go SIM. This will only work in UK, Dublin is different I'm afraid.

Best find a T-mobile shop in London when you get there
    Thanks for the tip! I'll be in London longer than in Dublin, so that might work out. I guess now I'll have to work on getting my 750 unlocked by AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by travisb View Post
    T-Mobile UK do data capped at 1 a day with a Pay As You Go SIM. This will only work in UK, Dublin is different I'm afraid.

Best find a T-mobile shop in London when you get there
    That's good to know. Thanks. I'm set to arrive in Gatwick on Aug 12th so I'll be sure to check this out. I wonder how much data they give you for a quid?

Heck, even if I can check email 3 times a day it would still be cheaper than roaming....thanks!