1.    #1  
    i just had a meeting with Palm last week about the state of the terrible battery life on the Treo 750. I manage 2 GOOD servers with about 1500 Treos, about 70 750's. They are working on getting us some 1800 mAh batteries but until then they recommended forcing the device into GSM only.
    The last thing i want to do is limit my hacked HSPDA 750 to GSM but i gotta tell ya its worth it for the battery life. I charged my Treo all night and at about 815 am i swithced to GSM only. When i got back home that night around 10 pm, after using my phone all day like normal (i am a heavey user) i still had some battery life. I was shocked becasue normally i can not go half the day. Now i leave it in GSM for most of the time becasue gsm is fine for email only and when i need high speed internet i just switch it back to umts.

SO between this battery fix, the audio patch, and the new Good 5.0 beta i am testing this device finally seems to be making me happy.

Here is how you force it to GSM only:

Today screen > Menu> Preferences > Phone Settings > Services > Band Selection > Selecte Network type : GSM

I hope this helps someone.

~ Chris
    Change to wm6. You can use the HSDPA update and no power drain. Don't use mobile shell, it's a nice program but even the updated version is a power pig
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post
    Change to wm6. You can use the HSDPA update and no power drain. Don't use mobile shell, it's a nice program but even the updated version is a power pig
    Which HSDPA update are you talking about? I updated to WM6 and it uses HSDPA by default. But I have the feeling, that the battery now drains faster than with the WM5 ROM I used beforce (also UMTS enabled). Is there a update for the Radio-Rom?

Palm Treo 750 (unlocked)
    ROM: TREO750-1.16-H3G
    FW: 1.47.25.00
    Windows Mobile Version 6
    CE OS 5.2.1239 WWE (Build 17746.0.2.4)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamluvinlife View Post
    i just had a meeting with Palm last week about the state of the terrible battery life on the Treo 750. I manage 2 GOOD servers with about 1500 Treos, about 70 750's. They are working on getting us some 1800 mAh batteries but until then they recommended forcing the device into GSM only.
    The last thing i want to do is limit my hacked HSPDA 750 to GSM but i gotta tell ya its worth it for the battery life. I charged my Treo all night and at about 815 am i swithced to GSM only. When i got back home that night around 10 pm, after using my phone all day like normal (i am a heavey user) i still had some battery life. I was shocked becasue normally i can not go half the day. Now i leave it in GSM for most of the time becasue gsm is fine for email only and when i need high speed internet i just switch it back to umts.

SO between this battery fix, the audio patch, and the new Good 5.0 beta i am testing this device finally seems to be making me happy.
    Here is how you force it to GSM only:

Today screen > Menu> Preferences > Phone Settings > Services > Band Selection > Selecte Network type : GSM

I hope this helps someone.

~ Chris
    Why is mobile shell a power hog?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post

i havent seen WM6 for this 750 yet, do you know where i can find it?
    I hate the idea of crippling the phone to use less power. That's like saying, if I tie my left arm behind my back all day, it will have lots of energy by night.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    It's no different than keeping your revs low in a car to improve fuel consumption
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Why is mobile shell a power hog?
    Dunno, but I can confirm that it is. I can almost watch the battery indicator going down with Mobile Shell installed. Trashes my battery in 4 hours, without it battery lasts a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post
    I hate the idea of crippling the phone to use less power. That's like saying, if I tie my left arm behind my back all day, it will have lots of energy by night.

actually, it's more akin to dimming your lights to conserve energy. you can put them high again when you need it, but otherwise, dim is the best.

you don't need it to stay on 3G while it's pulling emails all day, but should you need to get on the internet/stream stuff, then turn it on et voila.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Is the mobile shell at issue the Spb Mobile shell? Also, is there a profile manager of some sort that can automate the GSM/UMTS switch?
    I have upgraded to WM6 and after a day of usage, I am still up with 70% battery. Normally at this hour, I would have left 30% or less.

My normal activities is push mails on 3G/HSDPA, some web surfing, phone calls and sms.
    I've been using GSM only for months. Most-excellent. I'm quite happy.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Is there a today screen plugin that toggles UMTS/GSM?

That would be the only way I would consider crippling the phone.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    That's like saying, if I tie my left arm behind my back all day, it will have lots of energy by night.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    hey MVT the guys in the mortscript threads might be able to muster up something like that...
    Is there a today screen plugin that toggles UMTS/GSM?

That would be the only way I would consider crippling the phone.
    Have you taken a look at Comm Manager Pro? It is out of beta and pretty cool. Lots of features including a plug-in to change the radio.

--Mickey
    Wow, that sucks for you guys. I would hate to have to switch between GSM and UTMS every time I needed to get on the internet. I hope that program above works, or somebody comes up with a plugin, because I know it would kill me to have to go through menus every time I needed to browse.
    There is a great little freeware program called Bandswitch that installs as an icon at the bottom of you homescreen for switching back and forth.

Regards
    graylion