Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hi, I installed WM6 yesterday and am very happy with the performance and stability of it. One thing that annoyed me with WM5 was with todaytoggle full screen. Every time I got a call in, the lower bar came up and stayed until a reset. Now this problem goes away (need to unselect Activesync intray with startup, else you get a intray bar at bottom) which is great! The memory usage seems to be slightly higher than before but no negative impact on performance. (probably some clean-up required).

One question I want to ask is on Font size for emails. The Sender's name and the email title have much larger font size which require more scrolling for email reading. Anyway to fix this?
    Hmm I never really noticed the sender name being bigger.
    Well there are two things you can do.
    One, go to settings>system>screen>Text Size, and set it to "Smallest."
    This will make most fonts smaller in many places, including email.
    Also, open up an email, select menu>view>text Size> select "Smallest."

Those two things will get smaller fonts. But neither actually make the name not be larger than the email.

I don't know if you've found these two settings yet, but just letting you know in case you haven't.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hi Taylorh, thanks.

Tried the 2 suggested ways. First way changed all font sizes. Second way changed only the body font size but not the Sender and Subject font sizes.

The problem is the unproportional font size used for different part of the email. The "To" and "Date" are small font, then "Sender name" is very big font, "Subject" is big font which takes up unnecessary space and ends up with more scrolling, the email body is small font again. It is just strange format setup which needs some tweaking...
    Quote Originally Posted by stanip View Post
    Hi Taylorh, thanks.

Tried the 2 suggested ways. First way changed all font sizes. Second way changed only the body font size but not the Sender and Subject font sizes.

The problem is the unproportional font size used for different part of the email. The "To" and "Date" are small font, then "Sender name" is very big font, "Subject" is big font which takes up unnecessary space and ends up with more scrolling, the email body is small font again. It is just strange format setup which needs some tweaking...
    I totally agree. Yet another genius programer at Microsoft that needs stronger glasses. One day they will get this right. Its not the worse UI flaw I have seen, but if you program such a glaring change in font size, you best make it customizable! There needs to be continuity in User Interface for this OS. Maybe if they did this in all applications (Calendar, Contacts etc.), but no, just in PocketOutlook.
    What bugs me most about pocket outlook is that you can't see the email address of the sender. You just get their "view as" (whatever you call it) name.
    I can tell if email is spam right away from the email address if I can see it.
    I hadn't even checked yet if this new version allows you to see the email address BEFORE adding the person to your contacts.
    I hate it too, but none of my other wm6 phones had this issue. Probably this release that has this "feature" added.

The font size isn't a problem, the size can be changed, its the font itself that is hard to read when small. I can't believe they changed this...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hi, found an answer to tweak the css file to modify the email font size. It looks like just sloppy work from MS in the format setup.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=309945

You can compare the read_style.0405 sample to your css file in Windows directory and edit accordingly: font size change under "table", add font-size under "div.header" , delete font-size under "Subject" and change font-size under "From".

Hi, found an answer to tweak the css file to modify the email font size. It looks like just sloppy work from MS in the format setup.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=309945

You can compare the read_style.0405 sample to your css file in Windows directory and edit accordingly: font size change under "table", add font-size under "div.header" , delete font-size under "Subject" and change font-size under "From".

Is there an easy fix for this for the technically inept? I'm not sure how to open a css file, and the one provided on the xda site appears to be a text file. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    You can copy the css file from your treo to your PC desktop. Open the css file on your PC using a text editor. Edit according to the sample given in the site and copy back to your treo replacing the original css file. To be safe, you might want to save a copy of the original css file just in case...

Hope this helps.
    Has anyone verified if there is any difference in the large Senders name appearing in the email header that is setup for either plain text or HTML-enabled? Mine is HTML-enabled and have the large sender's name, but curious if plain text setup has the same effect.
    You can copy the css file from your treo to your PC desktop. Open the css file on your PC using a text editor. Edit according to the sample given in the site and copy back to your treo replacing the original css file. To be safe, you might want to save a copy of the original css file just in case...

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice stanip. I figured this would work but I wasn't sure if the css file could be "read" once it had the notepad icon associated with the file (I saved as "All files" without a application suffix.

And a bump for the HTML formatting question posed above.
    For anyone that has used Activesync email, you were probably as aggrevated as I was about the size of the "From" and "Subject" lines. This tweak makes the email headings very useable.

Txs to all!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    For anyone that has used Activesync email, you were probably as aggrevated as I was about the size of the "From" and "Subject" lines. This tweak makes the email headings very useable.

Txs to all!!!
    Big Ben... can you confirm that the HTML still works for the contacts? Before you "click" on the sender name to open up a new contact window. Thanks for your reply.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    bigben, how did you put the modified file back on the phone. I'm running into a problem trying to replace the file since it is read-only. I can't seem to find a way to change the attribute on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Machnia View Post
    Big Ben... can you confirm that the HTML still works for the contacts? Before you "click" on the sender name to open up a new contact window. Thanks for your reply.
    Yep, this function sure works.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcapiro View Post
    bigben, how did you put the modified file back on the phone. I'm running into a problem trying to replace the file since it is read-only. I can't seem to find a way to change the attribute on it.
    I used Total Commander - its free.

Went to the Windows directory and copied the file "read_style.css" over to My Documents and save it.

Then still using Total Commander, renamed the file to Read_style.txt so that MobileWord would open it.

I then made the edits on the From font size down to a 7.

Then I saved the file as "read_style1.txt"

Did a rename back to "read_style.css".

Then I copied the new file to the clipboard.

Went back to the Windows directory and did a paste.

When asked if I wanted to overwrite the file I said Yes.

Restarted Email = Viola - useable text size.

Good Luck - hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    I used Total Commander - its free.

Went to the Windows directory and copied the file "read_style.css" over to My Documents and save it.

Then still using Total Commander, renamed the file to Read_style.txt so that MobileWord would open it.

I then made the edits on the From font size down to a 7.

Then I saved the file as "read_style1.txt"

Did a rename back to "read_style.css".

Then I copied the new file to the clipboard.

Went back to the Windows directory and did a paste.

When asked if I wanted to overwrite the file I said Yes.

Restarted Email = Viola - useable text size.

Good Luck - hope that helps.
    Good info here. Thanks Big Ben.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thanks, worked perfectly. Email is much better now.
    thanks for this tip edited the From and Subject sizes email looks much better now.
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Is anyone experiencing the same issue on standard web browing with PIE? I specially have this issue with webmail of any sort.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast