1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,

How many people use Treo 700w/700wx and also take iPod everyday?

Since Treo 700w/700wx has Window media player inside, I believe it is not necessary to carry 2 devices everyday.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    The Treo is no iPod. I use my iPod every day in the car. I use my Treo with TomTom so I cant multi task with it that much.
    Correct, the treo is no ipod, its much more I use my treo to watch movies while commuting via my slingbox, i also have access to all 20gb of my music collection over-the-air using orb so i can listen to anything i want anywhere without worrying about synching or carrying an extra storage card. Also i'm a big shoutcast fan and can listen to a variety of free internet radio stations and stream fm and am radio while at the gym with the favorites i have set up in resco radio. Needless to say, i havent charged my ipod in months
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    Correct, the treo is no ipod, its much more I use my treo to watch movies while commuting via my slingbox, i also have access to all 20gb of my music collection over-the-air using orb so i can listen to anything i want anywhere without worrying about synching or carrying an extra storage card. Also i'm a big shoutcast fan and can listen to a variety of free internet radio stations and stream fm and am radio while at the gym with the favorites i have set up in resco radio. Needless to say, i havent charged my ipod in months
    totally agree. I also use Orb to stream my music and movie collections from my PC OTA. You may try Didiom as well. Didiom provides a store front application to allow you to search, preview and purchase music/albums. Its GUI is very cool. Its tracks are DRM-free and most are lower than $1.00. I also use WinAVI to convert my Movie collections to lower bit rate of WMV. Then I can watch movies on my phone in subway.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My daily arsenal:

Treo 700wx
    iPod video 60gb
    Navman GPS (gave up on a Treo/GPS combo, too slow & cumbersome)
    Jawbone Headset
    Tablet PC (at least on workdays)
    Gerber Multitool (seems the only days I really need it are the days I forget it)
    Pilot 1000>Palm Pilot>Palm IIIx>Visor Prism>Toshiba e310>Toshiba e740>PPC-6700>Treo 700wx
    <a href="http://www.xianfox.com">xianfox.com</a>
    I was going to reply to this post and read about Orb. This is just the coolest app! It streams my laptop webcam to my phone!

Now I just wish I had a tv tuner...

I love this forum
    Count me in as an ipod-toting user. It's a nano so it's pretty small anyway, and I love the way it handles podcasts.
    I can't give up the iPod either. I love my Treo, as we all do, but I don't want to run the battery down all day doing that kind of thing. I need to be able to make calls, get email, etc, without worrying about it. Plus, having one device for everything is great in theory, but I look at it this way. At home, I have multiple PCs for different things. One is primarily for work. One is just a Media Center. One is for recording live music, and so on. If one goes down, I always have other options. I'm not completely sunk.

I'm always afraid that if my main device goes down, I'll be hosed.
    END OF LINE
    No way would I ever use an iPod - just another thing to carry around, and I have to have stereo BT. I'm on airplane and I watch these people doing things, in this order:

1. Turn off their cell phone.
    2. Get out their book to read.
    3. Get out their iPod.
    4. in some cases - get out their DVD player.

I look at all that, and I just use my 700wx to:

- read my book via ereader
    - listen to music via WMP and my 4Gb card, and some Shure headphones with a $4 adapter I got at Radio Shack
    - and sometimes I'll have ripped a couple of movies over to TCPMP, if the flight is long.

Just one device, for all that. Why carry 5 around.........

But my goal is to minimize my electronic footprint, and I don't care about going with the crowd or trying to impress others around me. This works for me, and I know that many folks love and swear by their iPods so hey - do whatever makes you happy.
    Im with the one device crowd. I think Urge is pretty good for buying music, so I dont miss Itunes. I have the 4gb sd card with all my music and maps of the US for Tom tom. Still 1.9 gb free. If the Mets are on I just launch sling player and I dont miss a pitch. throw in wireless listening via A2DP and Im pretty much set. Cant see any reason to lug around more than my treo.
    ipod music quality is much higher than treo. i can hear the difference whether I'm using my Shure headphones or the stock apple ones.

ipod's user interface and syncing are also much better than windows media and tcpmp.

with my ipod I can watch video for 12 hours or listen to music for 40 with my extended battery...can't do that with a treo. also the storage difference is huge. I generally have about 20 movies on my ipod. I can fit 2 or 3 on the treo.

the treo is fine in a pinch, but it's definitely not an ipod replacement.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    ipod music quality is much higher than treo. i can hear the difference whether I'm using my Shure headphones or the stock apple ones.

ipod's user interface and syncing are also much better than windows media and tcpmp.

with my ipod I can watch video for 12 hours or listen to music for 40 with my extended battery...can't do that with a treo. also the storage difference is huge. I generally have about 20 movies on my ipod. I can fit 2 or 3 on the treo.

the treo is fine in a pinch, but it's definitely not an ipod replacement.

To my novice ears, the Windows music is excellent. I have never found my self in a situation where I would watch 12 hours a video on a screen that size. If I did, I wouldnt call it a pinch, I would call it a disaster.
    I had issues using my Treo as an MP3 player until I got Slide3Lock that allows me to lock the keyboard and have the screen off while keeping the device active.

I still have issues with Voice Command in that sometime is does not work - it will not start from the button on my combo headset while Media Player is actively playing anything (usually).

Other than that it works well.

Since my device never goes into suspend mode, I keep a spare battery with me.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I use a zune in the car solely for convenience sake. That and I have too many songs to put on a 4 gig SD card.

WCK
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    To my novice ears, the Windows music is excellent. I have never found my self in a situation where I would watch 12 hours a video on a screen that size. If I did, I wouldnt call it a pinch, I would call it a disaster.
    My ears aren't high quality , but imo, the difference is easy to detect. Plus wm does occassionally pause or have issues. The iPod is completely reliable, much moreso than any palm product.

There have been several situations where recharging would not be possible, or if I was watching on a treo, I'd have to burn through 2 batteries. I've watched 3 or 4 movies on some trips and that wouldn't be doable on the treo. It's not ideal watching movies on such a small screen, but it's better than nothing on very long trips. I'd rather watch a movie on an iPod than carry a larger device like a dvd player or laptop.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Treo + 2Gig SD + TCPMP = No need for an iPod
    I have my Treo 700wx and my Zune on a daily basis. I have found that the Treo sound quality leaves much to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcullum View Post
    I was going to reply to this post and read about Orb. This is just the coolest app! It streams my laptop webcam to my phone!

Now I just wish I had a tv tuner...

I love this forum
    Yeah, a little off topic, but Orb is cool. Any idea how long it will be free?
    I showed my "tech savvy" friends Gladiator playing on my Treo and they asked me how I fit it in the pathetic internal storage. Jaws dropped when they learned the Orb ways.

Still prefer iPod for what it does best, but I wish it had wi-fi. Can you imagine an iPod with a browser connected to Orb with the pages optimized for the thumb wheel?