Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    What program are you using for screen shots, and where can I get it?
    http://www.fannsoftware.com/PpcSoftMain.html
    It's call "Capture Screen Utility" of all things. And this one is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    Thanks for getting those screencaps showing the Programs folder. Yup that's a lot of AT&T crap I don't want taking up space. Cheers.
    All of that AT&T crap is all merely IE shortcuts. You can open up file explorer, go to /windows/start up/programs and simply delete all of them.
    I can also tell you how to get rid of the AT&T splash screen when turning on/off the radio so it shows a generic palm screen instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by B717U2 View Post
    Do you mean on the 750? What about true email push? Unfortunately I don't live in a 3g area
    Yes, exactly....the 750 is quad band GSM and tri-band UMTS (3G). In a 3G area, when the phone shows 3G, you can simultaneously use voice and data. That means you can be in a call, open up internet explorer, and browse the web at the same speed as if you weren't in a call.

Now then, in a GSM only area, you cannot operate both simultaneously, however if you're using an active data session or using push email, what happens is that on an incoming call the phone's data session is suspended (the new WM6 ROM will actually show this in the data bubble when you tap the "E" icon with the arrows near it), and the incoming call is then allowed to ring through and be answered. Once it's finished the data session resumes. Clear?

Now with regards to why you'd want to disable the proxy, for me it was simply that DNS lookups and browsing to a site initially just took too long on 3G. I noticed a good improvement from the time you hit Go to the time it's actually downloading the page just by disabling the proxy. It puts you through to the raw internet, no compressions or anything.

Now I enable the proxy if, for instance, I'm in an EDGE area (for a prolonged period of time) and want it to go a little faster because the proxy will compress images on the fly and result in less data to transfer. In 3G, the thing goes so bloody fast that it really doesn't matter if it compresses images. It feels more like the proxy just gets in the way and sometimes slows you down. I will also enable the proxy when I want to get to the Medianet homepage or (in the future) Cingular Video.

The reason they put this in there, I'm sure, is for international roaming. When I was overseas and used another sim card, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why PocketIE wasn't working. Then I remembered the proxy that cingular uses and disabled it and BAM it works. I'm very happy they put this in, thank you Palm.
    There are 4 reasons I can think of as to why you'd want to disable the proxy:
    1) The proxy reduced image size and quality, which normally is a benefit to you by making pages download faster. But when viewing things like a real time traffic map (http://www.trafficgauge.com/cell.html) or weather radar (http://mobile.wunderground.com/auto/...ture=zoomradar) without getting destroyed by the proxy. In some of these cases they detail is trashed.

2) Web browse while using activesync or a wifi card. The proxy only works through AT&T's wireless network, so using any broadband connection makes IE fail (it only affects IE, Email doesn't go through the proxy.)

3) Sometimes the proxy is really slow. Usually it's faster though.

4) Because of the way it caches cookies, it can keep you from logging in to some sites. Like this one Treocentral, and some banking sites.

It's just necessary to have the ability to turn it off. On Palm devices you just do it in a menu. In WM5 is was in the proxy where you couldn't get to it. This tool merely modifies the registry setting for you.
    In fact, I think they literally copied my hack (from gadgetech.info ) and applied the same method in an app.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I can also tell you how to get rid of the AT&T splash screen when turning on/off the radio so it shows a generic palm screen instead.
    I would like to know how to get rid of this one, I could not find a *.bmp file or something else. Otherwise I would have replaced it.
    http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...ssbow-en.shtml

Great article on the WM6. Learned a few tricks by reading it. It goes on the features and detailed information on the programs included with WM6.
    Here's the registry where it worked for WM5. Just delete the welcome and goodbye entries for the bmps and it'll fall back to the generic palm splash screens. Same with for the .wav files to silence it.
    But I just gave it a shot and it doesn't work. I'm not sure why yet. I don't get it, it used to work on WM5.
    So sorry, I thought I had the answer but I guess I don't.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Palm\Varnish\DialLookupPlugin\PhoneStatus]
    "GoodbyeImage"="ROW_RadioPowerOff.bmp"
    "WelcomeImage"="ROW_RadioPowerOn.bmp"
    "GoodbyeSound"="RadioOff.wav"
    "WelcomeSound"="RadioOn.wav"
    "BlinkRoamingText"=dword:00000001
    Here's the registry where it worked for WM5. Just delete the welcome and goodbye entries for the bmps and it'll fall back to the generic palm splash screens. Same with for the .wav files to silence it.
    But I just gave it a shot and it doesn't work. I'm not sure why yet. I don't get it, it used to work on WM5.
    So sorry, I thought I had the answer but I guess I don't.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Palm\Varnish\DialLookupPlugin\PhoneStatus]
    "GoodbyeImage"="ROW_RadioPowerOff.bmp"
    "WelcomeImage"="ROW_RadioPowerOn.bmp"
    "GoodbyeSound"="RadioOff.wav"
    "WelcomeSound"="RadioOn.wav"
    "BlinkRoamingText"=dword:00000001
    I tried to find the bmp files with the AT&T logo but there are none. At least not in an image format. I also tried to find the files matching the file size (the RadioPowerOn/Off files always have 168K) but there are still none. And also the registry doesn't provide any entries except the entries above which point to the standard palm logos. So either some real "hacker" has to find the logo and tell us how to replace it or we have to wait for another "cleaner" ROM.

Palm Treo 750 (unlocked)
    ROM: TREO750-1.16-H3G
    FW: 1.47.25.00
    Windows Mobile Version 6
    CE OS 5.2.1239 WWE (Build 17746.0.2.4)
    The WM6 ROM comes with a "Cellular Video" link as well as a version of Real Player (same one that's on the 8525 apparently) to play CV.
    Previously on WM5, you had to install Real player, and then change the user agent for Internet Explorer so the site would allow you to view content.

Well now all you have to do is change the user agent. Simple enough. But the cab files and .reg files that I posted on my site don't work on WM6 because they moved the user agent to a new location.

Attached is a zip file with 3 .reg files. If you have resco registry editor, you can click on one of these files from the normal file explorer and it will import it in to the registry for you.

The 3 .reg files are for:
    Treo 750 user agent (the default/orig setting.)
    Samsung Blackjack
    AT&T 8525.

The BJack and 8525 both work, but the site gives you a larger font with the BJack user agent so I recommend using the 8525.

So just import the 8525 user agent. Then click on the "Cellular Video" icon in 'Programs' and that's all you have to do to watch CV. Make sure you did not disable the proxy.
    Import the Treo 750 user agent to return it back to normal.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    I tried to find the bmp files with the AT&T logo but there are none. At least not in an image format. I also tried to find the files matching the file size (the RadioPowerOn/Off files always have 168K) but there are still none. And also the registry doesn't provide any entries except the entries above which point to the standard palm logos. So either some real "hacker" has to find the logo and tell us how to replace it or we have to wait for another "cleaner" ROM.
    They must have somehow hard coded this stuff in to the ROM. Bastards!
    I really liked making my Treo silent for the radio on/off and card insert/remove. At least the card sound is more pleasant now (I kind of like it actually.)
    Also, if you do a soft reset, at least it powers on the radio silently.
    Quote Originally Posted by nismoguy126 View Post
    http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...ssbow-en.shtml

Great article on the WM6. Learned a few tricks by reading it. It goes on the features and detailed information on the programs included with WM6.
    I've been trying to get these shortcuts to work, but it's not working for me.
    Anyone else figure this out?
    They must have somehow hard coded this stuff in to the ROM. Bastards!
    I really liked making my Treo silent for the radio on/off and card insert/remove. At least the card sound is more pleasant now (I kind of like it actually.)
    Also, if you do a soft reset, at least it powers on the radio silently.
    Looks like we have to wait for an unbranded rom.

On the other hand, this little branding isn't that anoying.
    The WM6 ROM comes with a "Cellular Video" link as well as a version of Real Player (same one that's on the 8525 apparently) to play CV.
    Previously on WM5, you had to install Real player, and then change the user agent for Internet Explorer so the site would allow you to view content.

Well now all you have to do is change the user agent. Simple enough. But the cab files and .reg files that I posted on my site don't work on WM6 because they moved the user agent to a new location.

Attached is a zip file with 3 .reg files. If you have resco registry editor, you can click on one of these files from the normal file explorer and it will import it in to the registry for you.

The 3 .reg files are for:
    Treo 750 user agent (the default/orig setting.)
    Samsung Blackjack
    AT&T 8525.

The BJack and 8525 both work, but the site gives you a larger font with the BJack user agent so I recommend using the 8525.

So just import the 8525 user agent. Then click on the "Cellular Video" icon in 'Programs' and that's all you have to do to watch CV. Make sure you did not disable the proxy.
    Import the Treo 750 user agent to return it back to normal.

is there another way of doing it with out resco??
    I've been trying to get these shortcuts to work, but it's not working for me.
    Anyone else figure this out?
    I believe that this is for the WM6 standard version (non touchscreen based WM devices).
    Do we still need to install the audio update from Palm for the wm6 rom?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptan218 View Post
    I believe that this is for the WM6 standard version (non touchscreen based WM devices).
    They are working without any doubt on my 750 with wm6. Switch to Inbox, Outlook or u'r account. Then press and hold "h", this will show u the pop just like the one from the screen capture.

Besides, I am using an 750 (unbranded) with Vodafone Germany. This ROM is really rock solid, compared with WM5 out of the box, it's faster and more stable. Greatest news for me, no lost of storage card anymore.
    No, its for Professional too. Try and hold in the appropriate key for a 2-3 seconds.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Yes, exactly....the 750 is quad band GSM and tri-band UMTS (3G). In a 3G area, when the phone shows 3G, you can simultaneously use voice and data. That means you can be in a call, open up internet explorer, and browse the web at the same speed as if you weren't in a call.

Now then, in a GSM only area, you cannot operate both simultaneously, however if you're using an active data session or using push email, what happens is that on an incoming call the phone's data session is suspended (the new WM6 ROM will actually show this in the data bubble when you tap the "E" icon with the arrows near it), and the incoming call is then allowed to ring through and be answered. Once it's finished the data session resumes. Clear?

Now with regards to why you'd want to disable the proxy, for me it was simply that DNS lookups and browsing to a site initially just took too long on 3G. I noticed a good improvement from the time you hit Go to the time it's actually downloading the page just by disabling the proxy. It puts you through to the raw internet, no compressions or anything.

Now I enable the proxy if, for instance, I'm in an EDGE area (for a prolonged period of time) and want it to go a little faster because the proxy will compress images on the fly and result in less data to transfer. In 3G, the thing goes so bloody fast that it really doesn't matter if it compresses images. It feels more like the proxy just gets in the way and sometimes slows you down. I will also enable the proxy when I want to get to the Medianet homepage or (in the future) Cingular Video.

The reason they put this in there, I'm sure, is for international roaming. When I was overseas and used another sim card, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why PocketIE wasn't working. Then I remembered the proxy that cingular uses and disabled it and BAM it works. I'm very happy they put this in, thank you Palm.
    Got it. Thank you very much, looks like I'm returning the 680 and going for the 750, then I can bug you guys to get me through this upgrade.
    Can someone post the file/link? I cannot download from the link on the first page.
    I have an Italian Vodafone branded 750V.
    I am really tempted to proceed with the upgrade.
    Just before going on, after the upgrade to I need to re-install all my software, or can I simply restore it with Sprite Backup?
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast