1.    #1  
    Already searched the forums and couldn't find this exact topic. I'm getting ready to pop for GPS software for my Cingular 750. It already has a 1 gb mini SD card that is about 3/4 full of mp3s, photos, and a couple of games. (The photos and games could probably be moved to primary memory.) If I were to order the GPS software, say TomTom 6, and install it on a 2 gb mini SD card, approximately how much space would it take up? I'm planning to install the North America maps and the Europe maps. Would there be enough room left over on the card to restore the mp3s?

Thanks.
    You'd need 2Gb for both USA and Europe at the same time so no.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    You have to have a dedicated SD card for TomTom and one for the rest of the stuff.
    dude just go with TeleNav - no maps to buy or store or update. (or, for that matter, just use free Google Maps along with a GPS puck). Everything with TeleNav is on the fly and over the air in real time. Turn by turn, spoken directions - the whole thing.

I don't like the apps like Tom Tom and such that make you dedicate a card to maps - granted, that's just me, but if you roll with TeleNav you can use your cards for everything else you want - music, etc.

www.telenav.com - it's awesome.
    The main thing about TeleNav that I don't like is the monthly fee. I know it's only $10 a month but I'd rather pay $180 and be done with it and not have a charge each month.
    Another vote for TeleNav.

Really nice not to have to worry about keeping the right maps loaded on your card and the fact that the maps and POI's are always up to date is another big plus for me.

IMHO TeleNav is the way to go.

Keep in mind that you still have to pay for map upgrades with solutions like iGuidance and Tom Tom.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pederb View Post
    You have to have a dedicated SD card for TomTom and one for the rest of the stuff.
    As a UK user I have to disagree. I have the UK and the whole of Europe TomTom on my 2GB card, with plenty of spare space for other stuff (admittedly I don't have a lot of music on it, that's what iPods were invented for ). I have no problems with this set up.
    Is it car navigation that you want? Have you looked at Smart2go? Or off-road solutions like GPSTuner?
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I just installed TomTom 6 (USA and Canda only) and it took up about 950mbs. So if you get a 2gb card, you should be covered even with installing the Europe maps as well. I originally installed on a 1gb card, but didn't have room for anything else so I upgraded to 2gb.

As far as Telenav goes, I am a fan of Telenav. But, if you do not have phone service in an area, then Telenav can't do crap for you. If you have the maps loaded onto your phone, you can go out of service and still get navigated around (as long as you can communicate with the satellites). This is specifically why I switched to TomTom recently. I think they both work as nicely as the other, although there was a couple of things I liked about Telenav's menus better. But essentially they work the same.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The Western Europe maps take up 904Mb so if you had that and the US maps on the same 2Gb card it would leave around a couple of Mb's free, so not much

Question for the TeleNav users, what happens when you're in an area with no cellular signal?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    The Western Europe maps take up 904Mb so if you had that and the US maps on the same 2Gb card it would leave around a couple of Mb's free, so not much

Question for the TeleNav users, what happens when you're in an area with no cellular signal?
    I didn't realize the other maps were so large as well, I guess you will have to pick and choose what maps are loaded even for with a 2gb card.

As far as TeleNav goes, if you go out of cell service your GPS'ing is toast! I had this happen to me a couple of weekends ago when I went camping. I lost service and lost GPS. I just got back from camping today using TomTom and I also lost cell service, but with TomTom I was still able to map and track myself. It was awesome!
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I have been using iGuidance, and it works great. It allows you to only install the states that you need so you can save space on your card. I just sold my PPC and am selling my GPS and software if you're interested:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148768

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    I haven't used Telenav but I really like TomTom 6 on the Treo (even more so because I got it and the Palm BT GPS receiver free with the current, forever extending UK promotion). It is very quick to correct compared to my Navman and only tells me what I need to know (e.g. speed cameras that are on the other side of the road don't receive a warning). It's also really easy to use. There is only one occassion that I can fault it - asked if I wanted to go via a toll road to which I said yes and it still drove me around it - was trying to get rid of my mother in law, not extend the journey.