1.    #1  
    According to the list of changes in the newest update, we can now use our Treo's as wireless modems to access the net.

I've installed the update, paired my device with my bluetooth-enabled computer, and created a dial-up networking connection using the bluetooth modem device that was detected.

After a quick Google search, I found a few sites detailing the setup method for the dial-up networking connection, so I followed those. I've entered #777 as the phone number, with mynumber@vzw3g.com as my username and 'vzw' as my password.

Everything seems to work, but I'm getting an invalid username/password on the domain error when trying to connect. Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by banks29 View Post
    According to the list of changes in the newest update, we can now use our Treo's as wireless modems to access the net.

I've installed the update, paired my device with my bluetooth-enabled computer, and created a dial-up networking connection using the bluetooth modem device that was detected.

After a quick Google search, I found a few sites detailing the setup method for the dial-up networking connection, so I followed those. I've entered #777 as the phone number, with mynumber@vzw3g.com as my username and 'vzw' as my password.

Everything seems to work, but I'm getting an invalid username/password on the domain error when trying to connect. Any help?
    You should not have to create your own dial-up connection for BT DUN. The BT in your computer should create it for you. Delete the one you created, then go to your BT manager in your computer. Find the DUN service, right click on it and selct (something like) connect (can't remember exactly). That should auto-create a BT dial-up connection for you in the Network folder. Later, you can click on the auto-created dial-up connection just like any other dial-up connection. But I've found that you have to let the comptuer create it the first time using this method.

Perhaps some BT computer clients are different. But this is how I have learned to do it. When I tried to do it all manually, like you, I got the same error.

-Frank
    Same problem, and I created the Bluetooth DUN connection through my bluetooth software.
    I'm getting the same error when I use DUN via USB. There is some speculation that it is Verizon now requires a $15 "tethering plan" and has technical controls in place to enforce that.

I'm not convinced however, as the Mobile Stream USB Modem software works just like Modem Link and it never required a tethering plan before. I have a support request into them to investigate.

In the meantime, you might try downloading and installing that software (trial-ware) and see if that works. Mobile Stream support might be able to help.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Like I have said before. You have to have the tethering plan to tether without 3rd party software with VZW. Otherwise go with PDANet.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Do you need a "tethering plan" is you already have an unlimited data plan?
    Yes $15 add on
    I went with PDAnet awhile ago and I think everyone should also.

$15 a month vs. $34 one time.

no brainer.
    Does this work for us Sprint phone users or do we have to wait for them to come out with a sprint version???
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Does this work for us Sprint phone users or do we have to wait for them to come out with a sprint version???
    PDAnet doesn't care which carrier. You fill in the dial in number and username/password. Elsewhere on the forums you can find what you would need to fill in for Sprint.
    i meant the original update... i use pdanet now as well as the bt patch... just wondered if the original upgrade applies to sprint phones too..