1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I am looking to tether my 700w to my laptop. In the past I have used PDANet (spotty) and USB Modem (requires manually killing activesync processes).

Now that I have the 1.22 update, I thought I'd give ModemLink a try. First I tried just enabling ModemLink and using the dial-up connection I had previously established with USB Modem.

I got a bad username or password error.

Then I tried creating a new dial-up connection. Same error.

Then I uninstalled USB Modem and PDANet from both my laptop, and my phone, installed the Palm modem drivers, and created a new dial-up connection using the following settings:

Connection Name: [[whatever name you want]]
    Number To Dial: #777
    Username: [[your phone #]]@vzw3g.com. Example: 2125551234@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

I still get bad username or password. The frustrating thing is that I have recently (in the last few months) used this username and password to initiate dial-up connection via my phone (using USB Modem). Why doesn't it work now?
    My password is all "starred out" ***, but there are 16 characters.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I've got that too if I look at the properties for the connection in my phone. Most likely it always displays 16 *'s in order to obscure the true number of characters in the password.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    Hello All,

I am looking to tether my 700w to my laptop.
    Have you purchased the VZW tethering plan?

-Frank
  5.    #5  
    I have not (to the best of my knowledge).

I have considered the possibility that my lack of "tethering plan" is related, but I need more information before I come to that conclusion.

1) The Mobile Steam USB Modem software works the same way as a dial-up connection via Modem Link. This didn't require a "tethering plan", technically speaking. Has this changed? If so, when?

2) Users of other Verizon phones (such as the Q) are able to tether using various (non-PDANet) techniques. Why can't we?

What it all comes down to is, has the creation of the "tethering plan" resulted in a technical barrier to using DUN connections like Modem Link or USB Modem, or is it just a Verizon policy to require a plan?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    The only way to tether using VZW is to get their tethering plan otherwise you have to get PDANet to tether.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  7.    #7  
    It didn't used to be that way. When did it change? How is it enforced?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I have no clue. But I have asked that question many times and have never gotten an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    The only way to tether using VZW is to get their tethering plan otherwise you have to get PDANet to tether.
    I have no idea whether that is true on the Treo or not. But I can tether on my LG VX8300 now without a data plan (there is none for the 8300).

I used to use the 8300 all the time for tethering before I bought the Treo (and tethering plan). I have successfully tethered my 8300 since buying the Treo. Although there is really no need for that anymore. It was just a test.

-Frank
  10.    #10  
    Hi Frank,

What do you use for the connection settings on your PC?

Have you tried it since Verizon released 1.22?
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    Hi Frank,

What do you use for the connection settings on your PC?

Have you tried it since Verizon released 1.22?
    Connection settings same as you posted in your first post.

Yeah, I've used it before and after the upgrade to 1.22. Both USB and Bluetooth DUN.

I might suggest removing everything and starting over. Although, I imagine you've done that by now.

Edit: No, now I see that you have already done this. Make sure your dialup connection is not specifying a "windows logon domain". That should be blank. Some folks mistakently think vzw3g.com should go in there.

I have never used PDAnet on this device. In fact, it has never been loaded on this device. I am a registered PDAnet user. I loaded it on a previos 700wx that I exchanged for the one I'm using now. But I never loaded PDAnet on this Treo. It just worked right out of the box.

Also, worthy of note: I did have to "hack" my 8300 to work. The 8300 has a firmware domain of "dun.vzw3g.com". I had to hack it to read "vzw3g.com" before it would work. Maybe these new Treos have that imbedded into them before you reprogram them (i.e. *228 option 1) after you have a tethering plan. Not sure.

-Frank
    Last edited by Frankxs; 07/24/2007 at 09:51 PM.
    I almost gave up, but got it done. Basically, the steps are all there, however, it seems the laptop and phone are both sending passwords. The answer is to send NO password or account in the windows connection. Your phone provides the account and password. I hope that was clear, this message box is tiny!
    John
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Folks, I too have asked this information several times, precisely, how does one use the 700W, with the USB connection to my laptop, to use it as a tether? I do NOT have Verizon's tethering plan. Is it possible to tether, without the Verizon tethering plan? Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by rfdillon; 07/30/2007 at 11:40 AM.
    maharashii, have you tried using Verizon's own software? (http://www.vzam.net/Download/Default.aspx)

I've used their VZAccess Manager for a couple of months now and it works great for me. Switching to bluetooth connection was a bit of a pain at first but got through it.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcullum View Post
    maharashii, have you tried using Verizon's own software? (http://www.vzam.net/Download/Default.aspx)

I've used their VZAccess Manager for a couple of months now and it works great for me. Switching to bluetooth connection was a bit of a pain at first but got through it.
    Did you have their tethering plan? I tryed their software but it required the VZW tethering plan? And are you using the 700w or the 700wx?
    I have the 700wx and an unlimited data plan. I wasn't aware of any tethering plan. And sorry, I didn't realize it went through cell phone number check for a download. Don't know why. It's a simple enough program.

You can try it - had to create a rapidshare link though (10mb file)

http://rapidshare.com/files/46039297...-Palm700wx.zip

**Dimitri, I just re-read your post and now see that you've already used this. I can't remember setting up this software or what it asked of me. But to clarify, I only subscribe to the $49.95 data plan.
    Last edited by tcullum; 07/30/2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: adding on postscript
    Having similar problems... updated to the new software, have unlimited data plan, but when I establish the bluetooth connection and then try to connect to the Bluetooth DUN connection it asks for a username and password - no matter what I do it eventually gives me an error. I used to successfully use PDANet but from what I understand with this update I shouldn't need to...