1.    #1  
    I went from my Treo 750 to the Blackberry Curve but had to switch back to the 750 recently. When I had the Curve, my Gmail email was pushed to the device immediately without my phone having to poll the gmail server. How come this doesnt work with the 750? I didn't have to forward the email to my blackberry email account either it just worked perfectly. Is there anything that prevents Windows Mobile from being able to get pushed email?
  2.    #2  
    Not ONE person knows why the Blackberry is able to implement push while the Treo can't? Anyone!?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    GMail uses POP and there's no way of getting push email directly from a POP mail server. Either your Blackberry was polling the GMail servers or the BES was checking your GMail account and forwarding the messages on.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    GMail uses POP and there's no way of getting push email directly from a POP mail server. Either your Blackberry was polling the GMail servers or the BES was checking your GMail account and forwarding the messages on.
    No you are wrong. I did not have GMail forwarding to my BIS email address I only had my work email doing that. GMail (and Yahoo btw) were set up the exact same way (using POP) as it is with the Treo but the email was pushed instantly. I got my email on my blackberry before I got it on gmail.com. It was incredible. Nobody else knows why?

“Enhancements for Google Gmail subscribers—You are no longer required to enable POP (Post Office Protocol) before integrating your Gmail account. And you now get virtual real-time (instead of poll-based) delivery of Gmail messages.”
    http://www.wireless.att.com/business...is-upgrade.jsp

“BIS 2.3 will apparently offer improved syncing with Yahoo! Mail and Gmail. How improved? We’re talking full on real-time push email for both, ladies and gents.”
    http://www.blackberrycool.com/2007/04/13/004104/

I want my GMail to be pushed on my Treo and I miss that feature a LOT now!!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Both those links you've posted are about a feature where your carriers BIS server is checking the GMail account and then forwarding mail to your Blackberry or Blackberry connect device. Have you checked the settings via your carriers website?
    Have it check every 5 minutes.

On an unrelated note, have you ever yelled at a microwave, "C'mon!! I don't have all minute!"
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Both those links you've posted are about a feature where your carriers BIS server is checking the GMail account and then forwarding mail to your Blackberry or Blackberry connect device. Have you checked the settings via your carriers website?
    Why can't they do something similar with the Treo?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84 View Post
    Why can't they do something similar with the Treo?

You can if you have Blackberry Connect for the Treo or you have your mail directed to an MS Exchange server and use Activesync. Another solution would be to use Flexmail instead of Pocket Outlook and an IMAP mail server which supports the idle command
    is there anyway to set up gmail on the treo so that if i delete a message on the treo it will sync with gmail? nothing i do on my phone ever correlates back to gmail
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Optimo...

I haven't seen anything that will let you sync Gmail on your Treo back to the website, mainly because it uses a POP3 interface...

And yes, I know you could do this on a Blackberry, but so far I haven't seen anything comparable. One thing I miss about my Blackberry... that and battery life...

mG
    try community.seven.com
    Quote Originally Posted by optimo View Post
    is there anyway to set up gmail on the treo so that if i delete a message on the treo it will sync with gmail? nothing i do on my phone ever correlates back to gmail
    You can use Blazer and directly access the gmail server, using the HTML version of gmail. I find this by far the best way to read gmail on the Treo.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84 View Post
    Not ONE person knows why the Blackberry is able to implement push while the Treo can't? Anyone!?
    I have an answer for you.
    While GMail is POP3, so it can't push. Email providers CAN implement push notification.

Seven Mail (beta), as mentioned by ehan above, has push mail for GMail. They use some proprietary method with GMail so that when you get new email, it notifies Seven's Server, and Seven's server thus instantly pushes it to your device.

Seven Mail beta is here at http://preview.seven.com/ This is the company that makes Sprint business direct mail and AT&T Xpress Mail (Seven mail V. 6). This new beta is Seven Mail V7 Beta.

The new beta is a total redesign and uses real data channel push (vs. this old SMS based method.)
    I recommend giving it a shot. It's a very efficient push mail system and uses a rather low amount of battery power. Certainly less than polling your POP3 account every 15-25 min.

It's a simple application that sits between your built in Pocket Outlook email and the Seven server, pushing mail in to Pocket Oulook. For that matter it works very much like Blackberry BIS in this case.

Seven has confirmed it's push mail on Gmail and I even confirmed it myself by testing it out.

Blackberry could do the same thing with GMail if they haven't.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I have an answer for you.
    While GMail is POP3, so it can't push. Email providers CAN implement push notification.

Seven Mail (beta), as mentioned by ehan above, has push mail for GMail. They use some proprietary method with GMail so that when you get new email, it notifies Seven's Server, and Seven's server thus instantly pushes it to your device.

Seven Mail beta is here at http://preview.seven.com/ This is the company that makes Sprint business direct mail and AT&T Xpress Mail (Seven mail V. 6). This new beta is Seven Mail V7 Beta.

The new beta is a total redesign and uses real data channel push (vs. this old SMS based method.)
    I recommend giving it a shot. It's a very efficient push mail system and uses a rather low amount of battery power. Certainly less than polling your POP3 account every 15-25 min.

It's a simple application that sits between your built in Pocket Outlook email and the Seven server, pushing mail in to Pocket Oulook. For that matter it works very much like Blackberry BIS in this case.

Seven has confirmed it's push mail on Gmail and I even confirmed it myself by testing it out.

Blackberry could do the same thing with GMail if they haven't.
    This program is VERY promising but unfortunately I cannot get it to push my email. It downloaded all my GMail emails but none of my new ones are being pushed anywhere close to real time. Checking every 15 minutes was even faster than this! Any suggestions?
    Hmm that's odd. It was pushing for me when I last tried it a few weeks ago.
    All I can do is suggest you post on the Seven Beta forum. They're very much monitoring the forum for bug reports and should be able to answer your question.

http://community.seven.com/ click on forum.

Bummer it's not working out. It's supposed to unless something changed that I wasn't aware of.
    Why not just foward your gmail account to a free MS Exchange mail server like mail2web.com?
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    Why not just foward your gmail account to a free MS Exchange mail server like mail2web.com?
    That works too. And if you pay $2/month, you can reply your email with your gmail.com email address now rather than reply with your mail2web.com email address.
    They now have a method where you can change the default sender address in the reply, but only in the $2/month version.

The only down side I found to using mail2web via activesync push, is that activesync push seems to use more battery power than Seven mail does.
    Seven mail is impressively efficient battery power, so if you get no new mail you'll use very little battery. But for some reason Acivesync will use a lot more over a period of time. Not that it's bad or broken necessarily, but not as efficient as far as my experience goes.
    But the down side to Seven is that it's beta though works pretty reliably, and Activesync push is not beta and works rather flawlessly.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    If you're using a Blackberry, the email account information you provide (Gmail, Comcast, Yahoo, whatever) is stored on RIM's servers. Their servers actually poll and pull mail from your account and push the messages to your handheld. That's why service costs are usually higher for any blackberry device with most carriers. Your job's BES may be handling your work account but RIM certainly have their hand your use of the other accounts as well. That's why their outages affect so many people.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .