1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I can't write a lot about this now, but it was a real pain in the *****, and I thought for sure I had bricked the radio portion of this treo at one point. I've included a couple images, and a text file that contains the juicy parts of the ruucmd.exe output during the actual flashing. All of the files necesarry to do this are contained in the official 700wUpdater122.zip file.

So far I've done the 1.22 update on 2 treos, one a verizon 700w, and this sprint 700wx. The big problem I've had with both is that I can no longer see them with QPST in #*#DIAG mode. With both phones, I could see them in QPST before the update, but not afterward. I'm using the proper serial cable, which I've used on dozens of Treos without problems, and I've tested to work just fine with a 650 and 700p that I have sitting on my desk.

So, for the Treo owners that have serial cables, are you having problems seeing your phone in diag mode after the 1.22 update?

My goal for doing this was to use this Sprint 700wx on the cricket network with working 1x data connectivity. Cricket hasn't quite come out with evdo, so I have no idea if a Treo updated in this manner will still be able to do anything other than voice/text and 1x data. Honestly, I'm stil working on 1x data with cricket, and this QPST problem will be the trouble-spot, I'm predicting.

One good thing I learned through doing this, is how to use the CDMAFirmwareUpdater.exe file to selectively backup or restore the contents of the NVRam (phone parameters). So I guess if I cannot get QPST to see the phone, I'll have to get ahold of a 700W that I've put on cricket, and make a backup of its NVRam (which is saved to the root of the device in a file cann nvBackup.dat), and restore it to this phone....

Once I get this phone done, I'll go back and do a quickie writeup, although I think I probably did a lot of step that were unnecessary, and just plain wishful thinking at the time.

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    please do
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I'd just wait for Hannip to make a cab file for something like this. If you could follow OP then your better than I am.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  4.    #4  
    Hehe, don't hold your breath waiting for someone "to make a cab file for something like this."

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum, but I guess it's hard to believe nobody really commented on this accomplishment.

I suppose though that the Cricket forum at HowardForums.com may be the only substantial group of people using "flashed phones". That is, phones that have been reprogrammed to operate on a carrier other than the one they were originally intended to be used with.

This type of firmware conversion I did with this 700wx will probably certainly become more attractive in 2008 after Sprint begins (and Verizon resumes) allowing its customers to activate foreign ESNs. They will certainly not perform this conversion, nor support these foreign ESN phones, and it will be up to the customer to figure out how to make the thing work once the ESN is activated.

I've gotten 1x data (and mms) on hundreds of phones that I've reprogrammed to cricket, even though Cricket said it was not possible. I've even had EVDO working on my Mogul and PPC6700 for almost 2 months, and enjoy the same download speeds as Verizon and Sprint. Unlimited calls/data/text/evdo/tethering/mms/411 for ~$50/mo is of course the benefit of using Cricket. They may not compare with Sprint and Verizon on a lot of points, including handset cost and selection. I'm helping to make it known that any Verizon and Sprint handset can be used with Cricket, making handset cost and selection their best feature. Soon, Verizon and Sprint customers will be using each others handsets.

It's a good think us Cricket users have already done most of the hard work figuring out how to use all the features that your provider will say you can't use. You can find us in the Cricket forum on howardforums.com, we'll be expecting you...

And if you don't have any clue about what this thread is about, maybe read some more, instead of posting some more.
    Would have been helpful if you'd actually posted the link to where you actually did it. (Instead of posting that you'd done it with very little information.)

The link is http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1251770 if anyone is interested.
    Its difficult to post the howto because we get so excited when we did what no one else did.

Is there any way to flash the 700wx into a 700p via the ruu bootloader repair method? or repair bricked 700p's this way? I have not work with WM before so I am just guessing.

I would like to use the ruu program to flash a 700p bootloader etc back.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    please forgive my ignorance but why would one want to do this?
    :^/ I've learned how to get Cricket Internet (x1, NOT EVDO) working on my Sprint 755p. It may be similar for the Sprint 700wx. Adapting my directions to that phone will be best done by someone who actaully ones one.

As for why someone would want to flash a phone to Cricket, Cricket offers unlimited everything (just about) for $50.00 per month versus, for example, Verizon's recent offer of $99.99 per month for unlimited local and U.S. long distance calls. (There was no mention of 3-way calling, caller ID, call waiting, 411, etc. They may well be extra.)

The trade off is that Cricket's coverage areas are smaller. But if you don't get out of the city much, that isn't really a trouble, is it? The $70.00 you save every month can go a long way towards covering the rare roaming charge when you visit a city out of Cricket's coverage areas....

;^) Okay, now to business:

• On the Aplication launcher, go to your preferences tool and activate it.

• Once there, select the entry for "Network."

• Out of the box, the Sprint Tréo 755p (Sprint) has only one service, "Sprint Provisioning." This is locked in ROM, and cannot be edited without 3rd party tools. Cricket cannot change it, and Sprint won't, but that's okay because we don't have to remove it. We'll create another sevice to use instead.

Hit the menu key, then select "Service/New."

• Give the service the name "My Cricket," or whatever strikes your fancy.

• Set the connection to "High Speed Wireless." I haven't gotten the high speed part working yet, but do it anyway.

• Set the user name to [yourphonenumberwithoutspaces]@mycricket.com

• Set the password to "cricket", with no quotes.

• Click the "Details" button to access the next screen. Uncheck the "Mobile IP" box. Other data fields will disappear when you do this, but that's okay because we won't use them anyway.

• Click the "Advanced" button. The next screen will show checkboxes for "Automatic IP" and "Query DNS." They should both be checked already, which is what we want.

• Click the "Okay" button twice to return to the main screen.

• Click the "Connect" button. The Tréo should report that it's connecting to "My Cricket," or whatever fanciful name you selected earlier.

;^) That's half the battle done; now to reset our browser, Blazer.

• Fire up Blazer, then pick "Options/Perferences" from the menu.

• Set your home page to http://wap.cricket.motricity.com

• Click the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Set Proxy" button.

• On the new page, ensure the "Use Proxy" button is checked.

• Set the "Proxy Server" to: wap.mycricket.com

• Set the "Port" to: 8080

• Click "OK" twice to return to Blazer.

:^/ Annnnd, that's it! You should now be able to surf the Internet via Cricket's proxy, and x1 speed, which is oodles times faster than not connecting at all. I've yet to learn how to get EVDO working, though it's supposed to be available in Portland, and Cricket sell wireless modem cards for laptops. These support EVDO, so it's just a matter of learning which server, password and proxy to use, I think.

;^) Of course, you have to be subscribed to Cricket Internet; it won't work for free!

[Edit]
    :^/ Dang, there's a bit that I left out:

• While still in the Preferences/Network tool after creating our new service, select Options/View Log from the menu.

• Scroll to the bottom of the log and notice the cursor there. The log doubles as a CLI, see.

• Type "?" (without quotes) and hit the carriage return key. The CLI will return a list of valid commands. The one were interested in is "pdpset."

• Type "pdpset 1" (again without quotes) and hit return. This tells the Tréo to use the Network Service that we've just created.

NOW go to the browser and so on...
    Last edited by Mr._Pseudonym; 02/24/2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added more information
    So I did the exact thing thats posted above but now when I try to connect to the internet it tries to connect to "Sprint Provisioning" I check to make sure the Service is still "mycricket" and it is. Then I go to ##DATA# and check and everything there indicates that it should be connecting to cricket but it doesnt.
    that is what I get when I try to connect to the internet after following every step here below. No modem at number.. whe it dials #777 to connect to the internet using all cricket information. What next..

I still have no connection to cricket internet, using a treo 700w
    Please help me fix this... I have researched all the net and have yet to find out weather my sprint phone should be dialing #777 to connect to cricket wap internet??? or is there a diff number i should have there...???
    Thanks in advance...

[QUOTE=Mr._Pseudonym;1413640]:^/ I've learned how to get Cricket Internet (x1, NOT EVDO) working on my Sprint 755p. It may be similar for the Sprint 700wx. Adapting my directions to that phone will be best done by someone who actaully ones one.

As for why someone would want to flash a phone to Cricket, Cricket offers unlimited everything (just about) for $50.00 per month versus, for example, Verizon's recent offer of $99.99 per month for unlimited local and U.S. long distance calls. (There was no mention of 3-way calling, caller ID, call waiting, 411, etc. They may well be extra.)

The trade off is that Cricket's coverage areas are smaller. But if you don't get out of the city much, that isn't really a trouble, is it? The $70.00 you save every month can go a long way towards covering the rare roaming charge when you visit a city out of Cricket's coverage areas....

;^) Okay, now to business:

• On the Aplication launcher, go to your preferences tool and activate it.

• Once there, select the entry for "Network."

• Out of the box, the Sprint Tréo 755p (Sprint) has only one service, "Sprint Provisioning." This is locked in ROM, and cannot be edited without 3rd party tools. Cricket cannot change it, and Sprint won't, but that's okay because we don't have to remove it. We'll create another sevice to use instead.

Hit the menu key, then select "Service/New."

• Give the service the name "My Cricket," or whatever strikes your fancy.

• Set the connection to "High Speed Wireless." I haven't gotten the high speed part working yet, but do it anyway.

• Set the user name to [yourphonenumberwithoutspaces]@mycricket.com

• Set the password to "cricket", with no quotes.

• Click the "Details" button to access the next screen. Uncheck the "Mobile IP" box. Other data fields will disappear when you do this, but that's okay because we won't use them anyway.
    can someone please help me? i just did a verizen upgrade on my flashed to cricket palm treo 755p....and now my phone does not work .... i need to get it back to cricket.....is there anny way to undo the upgrade?......thank you in advance.....shyer
    :^/ The Verizon upgrade likely replaced your Cricket PRL with the latest Verizon one. You'll have to replace the Cricket PRL. If you're new to this, your best bet will likely be to return to the shop that flashed it to Cricket for you originally.