1.    #1  
    For POP accounts?

I have a 700W, and setup my gmail account last night. I have found the Wireless sync to be less than reliable with "push" enabled.

I can't seem to find definitive info, on how often Wireless Sync is supposed to notify me, on my phone, of new messages.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
    The interval for checking is email is whatever you set it to be.
  3.    #3  
    I have gone through the settings, various times, both on my phone and on the website, and there is nowhere to specify w/ "push", how often it will check, that is less than 20 minutes.

So, in other words, if I don't check the "intervals" box, and just have "push" checked, how often will it check?

It is all over the place. I have been emailing my gmail account, and sometimes it will come to my phone in 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 35 minutes, sometimes not at all.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Again, thanks in advance for any help!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    From what I understand, WS reaches out to your mail server every 15 minutes and that's not configurable on the user's end. So basically the most you should be waiting for emails is 15 minutes (although we all know it's very inconsistent).
  5.    #5  
    Alright, that makes a little more sense, that it's inconsistent.

I guess I should just setup my gmail as a manual pop account?

Has anyone had any issues doing this, if I have it check, like every 1 minute or so?

Again, thanks for the help!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanetrain View Post
    Alright, that makes a little more sense, that it's inconsistent.

I guess I should just setup my gmail as a manual pop account?

Has anyone had any issues doing this, if I have it check, like every 1 minute or so?

Again, thanks for the help!
    Setting it up that way will eat your battery up very quickly. If you do it every minute, that means your phone will have to make a data connection every minute just to check if there's any email. With WS, the WS client checks your mail server every 15 minutes and if there's any email there it grabs it and pushes it to your device. If WS doesn't find any new mail on your mail server, nothing gets pushed to your phone and no battery juice is burned up making a data connection.
    Last edited by psywzrd; 07/18/2007 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanetrain View Post
    I have gone through the settings, various times, both on my phone and on the website, and there is nowhere to specify w/ "push", how often it will check, that is less than 20 minutes.

POP mail doesn't "push" so that feature is not available with Gmail. You'll need to "pull" your mail from the server by scheduling a send and receive.
    forget Wireless Sync. Just go into Messaging and set up your Gmail account right on the device, just like you would set up POP access from your PC.

Here's how:

Go into the Pocket Outlook program on the device (part of 'Messaging'0. Use the following steps and processes:

Menu key
    Tools
    New Account

the setup wizard that follows should step you through the process, assuming you know your Gmail user name and password, etc. Note - see the below instructions for going to the Gmail app on your PC browser, and making a few settings there that need to be followed BEFORE setting up the Gmail account on your Treo.

From your PC browser:

Access your Google Mail account, then go into Settings (top right), Forwarding and POP tab,

- Disable forwarding

- Enable POP for all email

- Keep copy in Google Inbox

And do not revisit that tab because it redefaults any time accessed to no POP even if you do not make a change.

There is no need to enter the 'Domain' part on the device setup. 700wx wizard automatically configures all settings if the email address is correct before discovery.

Remember that if email address or password is somehow wrong, you may actually be prompted confusingly enough for domain, but it happens for sure if POP is not enabled.