1.    #1  
    I am sure this is already known, but since I was impatiently searching for a SMS backup solution, I am quite happy to make accidently this find. I tried lot of s/w like PPCPimBackup, Jeyo SMS backup and SMSImport, but none was backing up my SMS's... they were all backing up only 1 SMS that I couldnt find in my messaging application anyway... But I found a file called "PalmMsgV001" under /windows folder. Its all SMS file. I copied it to my card and then did a hard reset on my device for some reason, and later copied it back and I have all my SMS like they were. So in case you cant find any s/w to do the SMS backup for you, at least there is one more option now,, just backup the PalmMsgV001 file...
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    NVBackup is free and it backs up the entire Treo.
    I can't remember if the 750 had threaded messaging by default. If so, I'm assuming that this backs up the threaded messages? I have a 700wx, but this is what I'm looking for if it backs up messages from the threaded SMS app.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    I can't remember if the 750 had threaded messaging by default. If so, I'm assuming that this backs up the threaded messages? I have a 700wx, but this is what I'm looking for if it backs up messages from the threaded SMS app.
    Threaded messages is just a setting under options. You can choose to display your SMS in threaded or non-threaded format...I have this disabled as I dont like threaded SMS much. This is the SMS file and after restoring it lets say after hard reset, you will see the SMS again in threaded format. I switched it off again and I had all the SMS back in non-threaded form....
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    OMG YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!

I have been searching for SO long on how to get my sms out of my Treo750 since I am an sms addict and tried so many software all of which never worked because I was advised that the messages are stored differently by the Treo compared to the other WinMbl5.0 phones..

I found my PalmMsgV001!!

Now a question, can i open this as text or csv to save and collect?

Does the NVBackup work on Treo750? I looked into the reviews on NVBackup and it all sounds good but does not mention it to be compatible with a Treo750...
    Last edited by jho51e; 07/25/2007 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    Threaded messages is just a setting under options. You can choose to display your SMS in threaded or non-threaded format...I have this disabled as I dont like threaded SMS much. This is the SMS file and after restoring it lets say after hard reset, you will see the SMS again in threaded format. I switched it off again and I had all the SMS back in non-threaded form....
    Where is this option?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    can someonne let me know also? I'd love to be able to get it in a csv file on my laptop from this PalmMsgV001 file or be able to do more with this PalmMsgV001 file.
    Oh, when will I find the perfect smartphone???
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Where is this option?
    Messaging -> Menu -> Options -> Chat
  9.    #9  
    I tried many different apps to backup SMS's but none of them worked. I dont remember using NVbackup... cant say if its compatible.

For the csv file question, I tried opening the PalmMsgV001 file with text pad, and result is lot of garbage. You can see your messages though. Maybe an advanced text editor like Textpad could open it better. Havent tried it yet,.. if someone does, please post the experience.
    Messaging -> Menu -> Options -> Chat
    Bummer. I was hoping it would revert to the standard WM5 message program so I could use my Outlook Extender for it.

Doing this just changes how the Palm chat program looks. Good to know though ... I did find a nice "privacy" option which will be nice. (I'm often projecting my palm onto an overhead and it's nice to not show my wife's text messages to the world.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I tried many different apps to backup SMS's but none of them worked. I dont remember using NVbackup... cant say if its compatible.

For the csv file question, I tried opening the PalmMsgV001 file with text pad, and result is lot of garbage. You can see your messages though. Maybe an advanced text editor like Textpad could open it better. Havent tried it yet,.. if someone does, please post the experience.
    These are binary files. Text editors aren't going to do much good. If we had the file format we could write something to read the data.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys: