Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First of all this is not for beginners, you could do damage to you phone and I take no responsibility if you do. Walking through these steps backwards might work to undo the changes but a hard reset would probably be easier. I've only been using my phone like this for one day so this is only for those who really like to tweak stuff. The phone feels much more responsive and I really do think it looks better too. I'm not a pro at writing guides so I'll just get right to it:

Install MemMaid and under "Today Plug-ins" disable the plugins "Dial Lookup" and "Active Call", the regular Today settings screen doesn't show you these two plugins.

Then using a registry editor go to "HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin" and change Enabled from 1 to 0 then go up one level to "HKLM\Security\Phone" and change Keymap to "ERTDFGXCVZUBO" and Charmap to "ertdfgxcvzubo"

Once done do a soft reset and your Treo 700wx should now function like a regular windows mobile device where the green send button will bring up a dialpad. It will take a little while to get accustom to the change but the only thing I miss is the ignore with a text message option. I never liked the name search today plugin, it was to easy to call someone by accident with it.

Other things you can now change are the right and left softkey options, I have my left go to SMS and my right going to Email. This is done in the registry by going to "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys" and adding a Key called "112" and "113". Inside of 112 change "Default" to "SMS" and add a string value called "Open" and makes it's value "\Windows\messaging.exe" this is for the threaded SMS, not sure what it would be for the regular one. Then in 113 change "Default" value to "Email" and add a string value called "Open" and make it's value ":MSINBOX".

When finished you can use one of the themes from Zombienexus.net's WM6 Basic dialpad skin pack (transparency-challenged edition) found here:

http://www.zombienexus.net/portal/GL...=3&EntryID=528

Yes the Treo is transparency challenged poor little guy

Some pics of the finished product:

These are using the Reptile Blue theme from Zombienexus.net.

Enjoy!!

John

UPDATE 07/18/07:

When pressing the backspace key you might hear a beep, it's annoying, slows things down, and its just not needed so fire up the registry editor and head on over to "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\DialPadCtlKey" and change the Script value from a "p" to blank and that's it! No more beep.

Now if you also want to speed up volume changes while in a call you can do the same inside "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\LoudestInCallVolume", "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\QuietestInCallVolume", and "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\StandardInCallVolume" change the Script key inside each from "p" to blank and then while changing volumes on a call you won't hear any feedback sounds and the volume change will happen much faster.

Next, to add a carrier logo to the dial pad just create a GIF file with a height of 21 pixels and transparent background and add whatever you want to it. Name the file "carrierlogo.gif" and drop it into the "Windows" folder on your Treo then do a soft reset. I'm not sure what the max width is so just play around with it to see how much will fit. I created one for Sprint that works pretty well.

Right click and save as "carrierlogo.gif" and drop in "Windows" folder

Last edited by jcbarron; 07/18/2007 at 06:41 PM.
    Not bad...any way I can get those tweaks without losing the name search plugin? I like the that the green button will go straight to dialpad when pressed from the Today screen, and I also like how the screen looks when you're on a call. Plus, the softkeys going directly to whatever you want is convenient.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Not bad...any way I can get those tweaks without losing the name search plugin? I like the that the green button will go straight to dialpad when pressed from the Today screen, and I also like how the screen looks when you're on a call. Plus, the softkeys going directly to whatever you want is convenient.
    Just re-enabled the Dial Lookup plugin from MemMaid, did a soft reset and it looks like it will work just fine if you just disable the active call plugin only. The menu on the left softkey is created from the Active Call plugin so there is no way to hide the lookup field but if you don't need it just disable or maybe you could turn on hiding before disabling the Active Call.
    I am really interested in this.....
    I HATE the Treo plugin for the dialer software...
    But....

Once I disable that, can I still dial phone numbers without going to the dialpad? Or do I lose all that functionality?

Thanks!

-Chris
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
    I am really interested in this.....
    I HATE the Treo plugin for the dialer software...
    But....

Once I disable that, can I still dial phone numbers without going to the dialpad? Or do I lose all that functionality?

Thanks!

-Chris
    Kinda, that's what the Charmap and Keymap being changed to "ertdfgxcvzubo" will do, you'll notice that the keys map up to e = 1 r = 2 t =3 d = 4 etc... on the keypad. So when on the today screen when hitting one of the number keys it will switch automatically to the dialpad with that number put in.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    But then you can't search for a contact by typing in a name?
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    This thread is funny to me, since I think the Palm changes to the Today screen are the BEST thing about how they implemented WinMo.

And then some want to get rid of all that. Funny how something that one person (me) likes is something another person wants to work really hard to get rid of. That's the way of the world.
    Damn...I really want this to work...but it freezes up on me upon soft reset...activesync screen comes on and it freezes...thankfully I backed it up before I tried this. I guess something is conflicting with this...maybe I'll try from a fresh hard reset.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I like the look of this but I have read that it also kills your speaker phone. That is something I can't have.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    I was curious if this killed the speakerphone too. When I had my 700wx, I installed a Treo hacks app that made this dialer show up. However, it messed up my speakerphone. The option for speakerphone would be greyed out and not selectable. It may have been the way that hacks program implemented it though.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I like the look of this but I have read that it also kills your speaker phone. That is something I can't have.
    Well, from the looks of this picture..."Speaker ON" should activate the speakerphone
    I am thinking about taking the plunge and trying this today.....

But someone mentioned a hack to get this to work...Any idea where I can find that?

I personally do not care about a speakerphone....

Another thing, will this enable the Treo to take custom dialer skins???
    By doing this, you will also not be able to start typing the name of a contact from the Today Screen right? I do like being able to start typing someone's name in without going into Contacts.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I applied this today. Not bad at all. I havent seen any draw backs for me yet. I like the skins that were on that site too. Thanks for the post!
    I kinda like the changes Palm made as well, but I would LOVE to change the look like you did (with the dialer skin) Is there a way to do that without any of the other changes?
    hi there..
    OK...
    well, I tried this, and WOW...
    I love it!!!

And for everyone wondering, my speakerphone DOES work! Gosh...This rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
    hi there..
    OK...
    well, I tried this, and WOW...
    I love it!!!

And for everyone wondering, my speakerphone DOES work! Gosh...This rocks!
    What about dialing a contact by typing their name in the Today screen?
    Hmmm, guess I'll just do a hard reset and start over...I honestly think it's worth it. I never liked the Palm implementation of the phone. The original WM5 seems to be better for me...
    Yup...
    I can dial contacts on the today screen....
    Just type the name, and then hit the OK button, and it works....swaps over to the dialer and off you go...

I honestly see a huge improvement in dialing speeds with this.
    I did this on my 750. Here are the drawbacks at first glance (and they might be different on the 700s..

-- Green phone key from the today screen takes you to the dial pad, not to your recent call list

-- Red phone key while on a call doesn't do anything

-- icons on the in call screen can't be accessed via the 5 way, only by screen taps.

-- lose the cool voicemail navigation buttons when dialing voicemail

As has been said earlier, you can still lookup a contact from the today screen the same way so you don't lose that functionality...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast