Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I did this on my 750. Here are the drawbacks at first glance (and they might be different on the 700s..

-- Green phone key from the today screen takes you to the dial pad, not to your recent call list

-- Red phone key while on a call doesn't do anything

-- icons on the in call screen can't be accessed via the 5 way, only by screen taps.

-- lose the cool voicemail navigation buttons when dialing voicemail

As has been said earlier, you can still lookup a contact from the today screen the same way so you don't lose that functionality...
    Honestly, the only thing I'd miss is the voicemail navigation buttons...
    I actually tried this last night and it bricked my device.

Obviously I'm probably the exception here but remember to do that backup beforehand

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I actually tried this last night and it bricked my device.

Obviously I'm probably the exception here but remember to do that backup beforehand
    you're not the only one that had problems...I already had issues with mine...and this just finished it off..lol. Now i'm just starting anew with the bare basics...
    Can anyone else confirm that this disables the red end button? I would do this, but I can't lose that. It would annoy me a lot to have to tap on the screen to end the call, particularly when I'm driving and don't want to look down at the phone to end the call. Also, sometimes my screen doesn't respond on the very first try, probably because I'm tapping it too fast or something, but it happens. So, even if I trained myself to tap the area of the screen where the button should be, if the screen doesn't respond, it's not good. I know the phone hangs up by itself if the other end hangs up, but I'm concerned about situations where the other line never picks up in the first place, and I don't feel like leaving a voicemail. Or, what if I accidentally tap the on-screen end call button while on the call? Sure, I could lock the screen during a call, but then how do I end calls that go to voicemail or something like that.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranman View Post
    you're not the only one that had problems...I already had issues with mine...and this just finished it off..lol. Now i'm just starting anew with the bare basics...
    Sorry to hear about the trouble but sometimes a fresh start is good for ya!

To address some questions... yes you can keep the Dial Lookup plugin to do a contact lookup from the today screen and yes the speakerphone works great, just select it from the Menu or push the button on the screen.

One thing you have to remember is while Palm made the phone hardware the custom stuff they did to WM5 is still considered third party software and IMHO it wasn't written very well and just slowed the thing down. The dial pad on the other hand is part of the OS and thus doesn't slow anything down. Some may like the plain white background of the Treo active call screen but I like the custom skinned dialer myself and the speed tradeoff makes up for the missing "ignore with text message" and voicemail buttons.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Can anyone else confirm that this disables the red end button? I would do this, but I can't lose that. It would annoy me a lot to have to tap on the screen to end the call, particularly when I'm driving and don't want to look down at the phone to end the call. Also, sometimes my screen doesn't respond on the very first try, probably because I'm tapping it too fast or something, but it happens. So, even if I trained myself to tap the area of the screen where the button should be, if the screen doesn't respond, it's not good. I know the phone hangs up by itself if the other end hangs up, but I'm concerned about situations where the other line never picks up in the first place, and I don't feel like leaving a voicemail. Or, what if I accidentally tap the on-screen end call button while on the call? Sure, I could lock the screen during a call, but then how do I end calls that go to voicemail or something like that.
    Works perfectly for me, push it once and it does the little beep sound and hangs up.
    Okay, cool. Guess it's just a 750 thing. I'll be trying this tonight, then.
  8.    #28  
    First problem found. Once this is done you can't change the ringtone in the Sounds & Notifications settings screen or you'll never hear a ring again! You can change custom per contact ringers without a problem. I'm guessing it has to do with the sounds settings screen being custom for the Treo. Going to check if the ringer can be changed in the registry without issue.

If this has already happened to you then just re-enable the two today plugin's and changed the "HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin" "Enabled" key back to 1 and soft reset, get a call so the phone will ring and then disable the plugin's and change the Enabled back to 0.

Will post again if I find a solution.

UPDATE:

To fix the silence ringer under "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0" change the Sound and Script keys to match the Sound and Script keys in "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\PlmORingTone1" after changing the global ringtone, this does not need to be done if you just changed a ringtone for a contact.
    Last edited by jcbarron; 07/18/2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Do you have to do that EVERY time you change ringtones? Or will that one thing fix the entire problem?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbarron View Post
    First problem found. Once this is done you can't change the ringtone in the Sounds & Notifications settings screen or you'll never hear a ring again! You can change custom per contact ringers without a problem. I'm guessing it has to do with the sounds settings screen being custom for the Treo. Going to check if the ringer can be changed in the registry without issue.

If this has already happened to you then just re-enable the two today plugin's and changed the "HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin" "Enabled" key back to 1 and soft reset, get a call so the phone will ring and then disable the plugin's and change the Enabled back to 0.

Will post again if I find a solution.

UPDATE:

To fix the silence ringer under "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0" change the Sound and Script keys to match the Sound and Script keys in "HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\PlmORingTone1" after changing the global ringtone, this does not need to be done if you just changed a ringtone for a contact.
    I had that exact problem. I switched back to the original dialer after I found that to be true. I also had issues with calls not showing on the screen until it had already rand 3 times on their end leaving me no time to get it before it rolled to VM. Dont know if it is related or not.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
    Do you have to do that EVERY time you change ringtones? Or will that one thing fix the entire problem?
    Every time until I find a new ringtone control panel app, all it needs to do is write the registry keys to the RingTone0 location. I have a MortScript running to flash the led for notifications that runs on a loop so was thinking I could put a check in where if the "Script" value = "a" inside "RingTone0" then copy both keys from the "PlmORingTone1" location to "RingTone0".

I'll look at it more tonight, I really want to keep this dialer so even if I have to write my own ringer cpl I'll get this fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbarron View Post
    Then using a registry editor go to "HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin" and change Enabled from 1 to 0 then go up one level to "HKLM\Security\Phone" and change Keymap to "ERTDFGXCVZUBO" and Charmap to "ertdfgxcvzubo"

Okay, so I made a full backup of my Treo before trying this mod, but I didn't write down what the Keymap and Charmap registry entries were before I changed them to what they were before.

Anyone know what the were?
    I don't have an issue with the silenced ringtones since i use Phonealarm to manage my ringtones.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Okay, so I made a full backup of my Treo before trying this mod, but I didn't write down what the Keymap and Charmap registry entries were before I changed them to what they were before.

Anyone know what the were?
    ERTDFGCVBYUIO
    ertdfgcvbyuio
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Wow! This looks too good to be true!

I am going to back up and try this after this post... however

The skin pack is nice and all, but will other dialer skins work as well?

I have seen some very snazzy dial pad skins out there, but being a palm user i didn't have access to any of them before this.

can anyone confirm if other dialer skins will work?
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    Wow! This looks too good to be true!

I am going to back up and try this after this post... however

The skin pack is nice and all, but will other dialer skins work as well?

I have seen some very snazzy dial pad skins out there, but being a palm user i didn't have access to any of them before this.

can anyone confirm if other dialer skins will work?
    Yes, I've gotten other dialer skins to work...but you gotta check to make sure its square screen compatible.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Yes, I've gotten other dialer skins to work...but you gotta check to make sure its square screen compatible.
    thanks for the info!

I'd like to know where you are finding these skins, I do a search online for sqvga dialers and get nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    thanks for the info!

I'd like to know where you are finding these skins, I do a search online for sqvga dialers and get nothing
    Look for some nice ones here - http://www.paulya.com/dialerskins.htm
    Hey jcbarron, I have a quick question...I'm not sure how "normal" WM5 devices are...but when I'm on the dialer screen and then type my number. I am not able to use the "Green" hardware button to initiate the call, I have to use the onscreen dialpad "Green" button to initiate..is that normal?
    Hey jcbarron, I have a quick question...I'm not sure how "normal" WM5 devices are...but when I'm on the dialer screen and then type my number. I am not able to use the "Green" hardware button to initiate the call, I have to use the onscreen dialpad "Green" button to initiate..is that normal?
    That sounds like something is wrong....Your green talk button should place the call just like normal on the dialer screen. Now, when searching from the home screen, the green talk button does not work, you have to use the middle OK button of the 5 way.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast