1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I am currently a Blackjack user and a Project Manager. I love my Blackjack, and (with the exception of dropped calls on 3G networks) am very happy with it. I've recently been missing the stylus, though.... I want to select, cut, copy and paste. I want to run a couple of applications that won't run on WM5 Smartphone Edition (Blackjack). When I travel, I want to edit an Excel document or two (rarely). I also find the Blackjack keyboard somewhat unresponsive.

As a result, I ordered a new Treo 750 today from my business premier site.

Will I be disappointed? I do like the sleek, pocketable feel of the Blackjack. However, I'm still keeping it around and will probably pop my SIM out and put it in the BJ on the weekend and while I'm on vacation. Still, I find that I like being able to pocket my Blackjack and keep it out of the dust when I go on a construction site. I saw an article the other day that said that the #1 concern of professionals these days is a lack of e-mail on the road... that said, will I see a decrease in battery life that could lead to that?

Have I made a mistake? Opinions here seem mixed.
    Last edited by CorpITGuy; 07/17/2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
    Hello All,

I am currently a Blackjack user and a Project Manager. I love my Blackjack, and (with the exception of dropped calls on 3G networks) am very happy with it. I've recently been missing the stylus, though.... I want to select, cut, copy and paste. I want to run a couple of applications that won't run on WM5 Smartphone Edition (Blackjack). When I travel, I want to edit an Excel document or two (rarely). I also find the Blackjack keyboard somewhat unresponsive.

As a result, I ordered a new Treo 750 today from my business premier site.

Will I be disappointed? I do like the sleek, pocketable feel of the Blackjack. However, I'm still keeping it around and will probably pop my SIM out and put it in the BJ on the weekend and while I'm on vacation. Still, I find that I like being able to pocket my Blackjack and keep it out of the dust when I go on a construction site. I saw an article the other day that said that the #1 concern of professionals these days is a lack of e-mail on the road... that said, will I see a decrease in battery life that could lead to that?

Have I made a mistake? Opinions here seem mixed.
    You will LOVE it.. I had a 650 for the past 2 years.. my buddies just got a Blackjack..after trying it... I hated using it.. I kept wanting to reach for a stylus.. Felt totally useless to me..

I picked up my new 750 last week and wished I had done it sooner!!! By the way.. my buddies need to keep 2 batteries for their BJ cause they die halfway through the day.. My new 750 will at least make it through the day with my manually checking email.

The battery is slimmer than the 650 which accounts for the shorter life..

Oh and the Office tools are perfect... my buddy sent me a power point with hot chicks on it.. Opened perfectly!!! and I paged through it.. Good enough to save as.... "TAIL" on my 2gb card...

WIth the 650 and Docs to Go... I never bothered opening any Powerpoint.. Only showed text.. so I usually deleted them..
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette View Post
    You will LOVE it.. I had a 650 for the past 2 years.. my buddies just got a Blackjack..after trying it... I hated using it.. I kept wanting to reach for a stylus.. Felt totally useless to me..
    When I switched from a Cingular 8125 to the Blackjack, I felt the same way. Over time, I only missed my stylus when I wanted to cut/copy/paste (which isn't even an option on the BJ) or when I wanted to scroll around a web page horizontally. My urge to grab the stylus eventually died for basic tasks such as e-mail, tasks and calendar functions.

I picked up my new 750 last week and wished I had done it sooner!!! By the way.. my buddies need to keep 2 batteries for their BJ cause they die halfway through the day.. My new 750 will at least make it through the day with my manually checking email.
    I use ActiveSync with push e-mail. Many people here say 6-8 hours using it.
    I do not want to get away from push e-mail synchronization, as I've 'programmed' my co-workers to expect better service from me out of e-mail than via telephone (I prefer it that way). I've been stalking this forum for a few months (spooky, eh?) and I'm worried I won't get the full 10-12 hours I get out of my Blackjack with heavy call and data usage.

Oh and the Office tools are perfect... my buddy sent me a power point with hot chicks on it.. Opened perfectly!!! and I paged through it.. Good enough to save as.... "TAIL" on my 2gb card...
    That is perhaps the greatest feature... ever.

Thanks for replying!
  4.    #4  
    Yesterday I got about 14 hours out of it before it died.
    Today I unplugged it at 5:45 A.M. and as of 2:43 P.M. it is at 81% with only 20 minutes on the charger during lunch today.
    Not bad at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
    Yesterday I got about 14 hours out of it before it died.
    Today I unplugged it at 5:45 A.M. and as of 2:43 P.M. it is at 81% with only 20 minutes on the charger during lunch today.
    Not bad at all!
    Must not be using it much.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Must not be using it much.

13 calls since 6:00 A.M. this morning (3 or 4 calls below average for me). Two were 20-30 minute calls, most of the others were fairly short.

• 5 or 6 contact changes synced via ActiveSync.
    • 19 e-mails received via ActiveSync.
    • 10 e-mails sent via ActiveSync.
    • 2 calendar items updated via ActiveSync.
    • 8 text messages sent.
    • 5 text messages received.
    • UMTS/3G coverage.

I don't know, really. Is that above or below average? This is also a brand new battery - maybe I'll lose some life as time goes on. Sure hope not.

Edit: It's a slow, hot, sleepy Friday in the South. Monday may be different for me.
    Lithium ion batteries need time to break in. The Treo battery like the Blackjack and every other PDA phone these days will have TERRIBLE battery life for the first frew charge cycles. With daily re-charging you won't see maximum battery life until about 21 days. After about 3-4 days you should see a dramatic improvement from the first few days with each successive day getting a little better.

Give it time. Don't judge it until about 3 weeks.

First day with the Treo and I got maybe 4 hours before it was dead. After 1 month it was going 12-18 hours with at least 20% left.

Active sync push is inefficient and sucks the battery a bit. Not so sure scheduled delivery is that bad though. I switched to Seven Mail Beta and my battery life has been pretty stellar as it's very efficient. But Seven requires you to run a redirector on an always-on PC, something that's not an option for a lot of people.
    EMoze doesn't require a PC, but I don't know much about it.
    (Just suggestions)
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Lithium ion batteries need time to break in. The Treo battery like the Blackjack and every other PDA phone these days will have TERRIBLE battery life for the first frew charge cycles. With daily re-charging you won't see maximum battery life until about 21 days. After about 3-4 days you should see a dramatic improvement from the first few days with each successive day getting a little better.

Give it time. Don't judge it until about 3 weeks.

First day with the Treo and I got maybe 4 hours before it was dead. After 1 month it was going 12-18 hours with at least 20% left.

Active sync push is inefficient and sucks the battery a bit. Not so sure scheduled delivery is that bad though. I switched to Seven Mail Beta and my battery life has been pretty stellar as it's very efficient. But Seven requires you to run a redirector on an always-on PC, something that's not an option for a lot of people.
    EMoze doesn't require a PC, but I don't know much about it.
    (Just suggestions)

Exactly... my treo died real fast the 1st night... It's getting much longer now.. I am sure I will never get the life my 650 had but then I am certain the 650 had like a 2000ma battery..

For the record... I love my 750 1000 times better than my 650 which I thought was great.. PALM OS aka POS is just that... a Piece Of SCHIT. When I compare the 2 side by side I realize I can do so much more with the 750 and it's like a real windows device, not some cheap little toy..
    Last edited by blackvette; 07/20/2007 at 11:11 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Wow! I knew a battery had to be conditioned; I had no idea it could take weeks.

I'm happy with the battery life already. It's about the same as my Blackjack. If anything it might be a bit better.

Of course, the Blackjack is still smaller with an EXTENDED battery. My only complaint so far is the size of the Treo. I've found three functions that are huge to me that I can do on the Treo but not on the Blackjack, though: invite attendees to meetings, type in the first few letters of a name to search e-mail addresses in a new e-mail, and auto-formatting in Outlook.
    It takes about 5 days, or 5 full charge cycles to see a majority of the improvement, maybe 85-90% life if I had to guess. But another 2 weeks or so to get it from 85-90% up to 100%.

1 full charge cycle = 2 1/2 charge cycles. So if you charged it 2 times when it was at 50%, then that's one full charge cycle.
    Also with a Lithium ion batteries, it's better to charge them frequently. It's not as good to run them down to empty before you recharge them.