1.    #1  
    Questions like the following have been asked hundreds of times on this board and others, but I've never seen one really answered.

I want to use a GPS application on my 700wx that works similarly to Google Maps, except I need to use it when I don't have cell connection (i.e., hiking where there is no coverage).

I've searched, downloaded and experimented for hours. I tried the Vito products, BackCountry Navigator, and others. They are all unreliable and difficult to set up and use.

I don't need all the functionality included in commercial packages like TomTom. I only need to see my location on a map and store my track coordinates to upload to something like Google maps later.

I don't want to have to download and calibrate images to use as maps. I just want basic GPS functionality with built-in maps.

Has anyone found anything that fits this bill????

Please help.
    Nope. However GPSTuner is pretty easy to use (more or less) and calibrating is really simple. Also the Map Calibrator software will download and calibrate Expedia maps automatically on the PC so you just have to capture the area you want and transfer the files to your Treo.
    There are also some programs that will automate making a large jpg of googlemaps by scrolling around a number of steps you specify. There's a bit more on this in www.gpspassion.com 's english forum
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Having used various incarnations of GPS software, such as Mapopolis and BackCountry Navigator, for the Pocket PC during the past several years, and also being someone that loves to get into the woods outside of cellular coverage, I've settled that the best solution (for me anyhow) is a ruggedized stand-alone GPS receiver with additional mapping software. (I dare you to try to write a longer sentence than that.)

Of course, you're looking at dropping a couple hundred $ on this and I don't know how you feel about that, but it is certainly a viable solution. Most of these receivers will allow you to upload waypoints and tracks directly into their mapping software or into other software such as Google Earth, sometimes with conversion needed for the latter.

I quit using it, but actually liked BackCountry Navigator. Only thing I didn't like so much was carrying the bluetooth GPS and Pocket PC and battery life, etc. The stand-alone receivers are substantially better on battery life and take standard AAs, and are way, way more durable. First time I got caught in the middle of nowhere in the rain with the Pocket PC was the deal killer. The topo details on BCN are much better than that in the mapping software for the stand alone receivers, though.

I have a high-end Lowrance Expedition "Plus" receiver that I use. The Treo does great with turn-by-turn navigation, but stays in the truck now. There are a number of quality receivers available from manufacturers such as Lowrance and Garmin.