1.    #1  
    I have searched previous threads and spent hours on this. I cannot get my Cingular Treo 750 to sync with the desktop. Can anyone at least tell me what is supposed to happen when this works? I.E. if when you connect the cable does the Mobile Device Center just pop up and show the device connected? Or do you have to push the sync button on the cable?

I un-installed the version that came with the PC and installed the latest version 6.1. I also tried connecting via Bluetooth and couldn't get that to work. Not sure what else to do. I have un-installed and re-installed the application numerous times. Sometimes when I plug the phone in Vista sees it and starts to install a Treo 750 driver. Other times it installs a Smart Phone driver. Neither works. Every time you plug the cable in you can hear Vista make the connection sound and then nothing happens.

I have gone into the device manager and deleted both these items, per Microsoft instructions, and then replugged the device in. It still does not work.

In the past I have had problems with the cable connection on different PC's using XP. Generally I use Bluetooth for this reason.
    I give up!

Any new ideas/wisdom would be appreciated. What I have read in previous threads has not helped.

- CK

PS: I have not performed a hard reset on my device. I would highly prefer not to do this. I have already spent 1.5 days configuring my new PC and don't need to have the same pleasure with my phone.
    Last edited by ckole; 07/19/2007 at 05:24 PM.
    Treo 750 with:
    Wisbar Advance
    SBSH PocketWeather
    Resco Pocket Explorer
    Pocket Informant
    HSDPA Hack
    Logbook Pro APDL

Owned lots of others including Original Palm, IBM Palm, Handspring, Treo 650... on an on...
    Start- settings- connections- USB- check and uncheck that box, and try to sync under both conditions.

Shut all firewall programs on the pc. Most issues are from this, and it takes people weeks to figure it out. Just make sure you check this.

When you plug the phone into the USB port, you do not have to press the sync button. You should hear the pc make a noise confirming connection. If not try my first step, and if that doesn't work then its a USB issue. Make sure to soft reset your phone also, just to be safe.
    As stupid as it may sound, but I also experienced the same problems with Vista. eventually I left my Treo connected with the computer, and started doing some other things.

When I looked at it half an hour later, it was fully synchronized. And the synchronisations after that all went flawlessly, within a couple of minutes.

So my advice, leave it connected and see what happens.
    A range of models > Then came the Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750
    Have you created the partnership first? Thats the first thing you have to do. Then to choose what data you want synced. I use WMDC for a while now on Vista and no problems at all.

At this stage, I would suggest terminating any partnerships you have within WMDC and start over.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Start- settings- connections- USB- check and uncheck that box, and try to sync under both conditions.

Shut all firewall programs on the pc. Most issues are from this, and it takes people weeks to figure it out. Just make sure you check this.
    I have no firewall running. Windows Defender is running and that is it. I have also tried the box uncheck on the phone. No luck.

Maybe someone can tell me what driver is on their PC. I can only get the SmartPhone USB Synch to appear when the phone is connected. However, the actual program does nothing. I am referring to Start -- Run - devmgmt.msc on your PC. What shows up when your device is connected under Mobile Devices?
    Treo 750 with:
    Wisbar Advance
    SBSH PocketWeather
    Resco Pocket Explorer
    Pocket Informant
    HSDPA Hack
    Logbook Pro APDL

Owned lots of others including Original Palm, IBM Palm, Handspring, Treo 650... on an on...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    Have you created the partnership first? Thats the first thing you have to do. Then to choose what data you want synced. I use WMDC for a while now on Vista and no problems at all.

At this stage, I would suggest terminating any partnerships you have within WMDC and start over.
    How can you create a partnership when WMDC shows no connection? I just get the generic green screen.

Thanks
    Treo 750 with:
    Wisbar Advance
    SBSH PocketWeather
    Resco Pocket Explorer
    Pocket Informant
    HSDPA Hack
    Logbook Pro APDL

I had this same problem. Go to START, COMPUTER, SYSTEM PROPERTIES, DEVICE MANAGER, and check under PORTABLE DEVICES. Make sure the TREO (Pocket PC) has been loaded properly. If there is a yellow "Yield Sign" with a question mark, right-click and choose UPDATE. The update takes a few minutes. My syncing has worked perfectly ever since. I actually had this problem solved by Palm's online technical chat support.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nycboybj View Post
    I had this same problem. Go to START, COMPUTER, SYSTEM PROPERTIES, DEVICE MANAGER, and check under PORTABLE DEVICES. Make sure the TREO (Pocket PC) has been loaded properly. If there is a yellow "Yield Sign" with a question mark, right-click and choose UPDATE. The update takes a few minutes. My syncing has worked perfectly ever since. I actually had this problem solved by Palm's online technical chat support.
    When it detects the device it starts out as an Other Device - Palm Treo and then completes the driver install as a USB Smart Phone. There is no driver installed in the Portabel Devices Category.

I also think my cable from Palm may be faulty. I tried syncing on my laptop and was unsuccessful. I have ordered a cradle and pray this resolves the issue. I do have a Vista Bluetooth dongle. Anyone know a trick to get WMDC to see the device without first connecting via the cable?

Thanks
    Treo 750 with:
    Wisbar Advance
    SBSH PocketWeather
    Resco Pocket Explorer
    Pocket Informant
    HSDPA Hack
    Logbook Pro APDL

Well at least I'm not the only one having this problem! I almost returned my new Vista computer because of it, but figured that it will eventually work out. I have an XP bluetooth dongle so I'm not going to try that thing until a firmware update comes out for it (which I'm hoping will happen but no guarantees I'm sure). When I connect via cable (which worked just fine for XP) Vista tells me that the "USB device is unrecognized". I tried the "leaving it plugged in until the dern thing wakes up and realizes that my phone is attached" technique for about an hour or so with no luck, too. I'm gonna try nycboybj's tip when I get home, haven't tried that yet, but if that doesn't work I don't know what to try next. I'm wondering if one of the updates Vista downloads by itself mysteriously in the night will take care of it, or if the update for the 750 to WM6 will do the trick when that comes out (this month, right?). Is anybody else out there having the same problem with the 750 (or another WM Treo) & Vista? Did anybody else come up with some nifty solutions? I promise I'll share when I finally figure mine out, or if any of these tips work for me. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckole View Post
    When it detects the device it starts out as an Other Device - Palm Treo and then completes the driver install as a USB Smart Phone. There is no driver installed in the Portabel Devices Category.

I also think my cable from Palm may be faulty. I tried syncing on my laptop and was unsuccessful. I have ordered a cradle and pray this resolves the issue. I do have a Vista Bluetooth dongle. Anyone know a trick to get WMDC to see the device without first connecting via the cable?

Thanks
    I have the exact same problem.This is what I have listed in Control Panel /system/device manager/mobile devices/smartphone usb sync.

A new USB cable was tested, but no partnership developed.
    nycboybj's tip worked for me! Hooray!
    Nope, whoops, nope sorry, I got mixed up; I didn't even try nycboybj's tip before I tried Pattycert's first tip about the USB box--THAT's what worked for me!
  13.    #13  
    Ok I still haven't gotten USB to work and may never will. I even bought a new usb cradle to no avail.

Here's what I did to make it work:

1) I bought a new USB Bluetooth Dongle that was Vista Compatible from ebay
    Here's which one:
    USB BlueTooth Wireless Adapter Dongle V2.0 EDR XP Vista $6.99 from Seller
    NSIOulet

Example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-BlueTooth-Wi...QQcmdZViewItem

2) After installing the default drivers I updated them to this one:
    http://www.bluesoleil.com/download/index.asp
    BlueSoleil VoIP (Vista Compatible) Version Evaluation 3.2.2.8 English Only 8.95M

3) After the new drivers were installed I was able to connect the device via Bluetooth but still not via WMCD. Try adding a new connection with the phone and BlueSoleil will show you what Serial Port it is using to connect to the device. Mine happens to be Com7 on my laptop it is Com8. In other words BlueSoleil could see the device but Vista could do nothing with it.

4) Once you know the port open WMDC and under the connections tab choose the serial port which BlueSoleil says it is connecting to the phone with. Again in my instance this is Com7.

This is under: Allow Connections to one of the following:
    Com7
    Do not choose Bluetooth!

5) Choose connect via Bluetooth on your Treo 750 under the ActiveSync program. If everything works it should see your PC and then create a new connection with the Activesync Box available vs Serial Port.

Everything now works for me. I am not sure why so many people have so many problems with the dang USB cable.

Also finally when you look at the device manager I can see a Windows Mobile-based device in the Portable Devices category. There is no longer anything under SmartPhones usb device.

I hope my 8+ hours of messing with this will help someone.
    Treo 750 with:
    Wisbar Advance
    SBSH PocketWeather
    Resco Pocket Explorer
    Pocket Informant
    HSDPA Hack
    Logbook Pro APDL

i too was only able to get this thing set up via bluetooth. Tried on two different vista pc's. How dumb is that?!
    I believe the problem is on the Treo itself. I did a restore from a 4 week old backup and it synced up ok. Then I restored from 1 week ago and vista did not connect. Hope this helps.