1.    #1  
    I'm re-posting this here from ppcgeeks because of a request and maybe others will like it...
    --Mal

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    So this is no way is meant to take away from the great TreoAlerts program/development project which does much more than this little guy.

But I was looking for something simple to just blink the LED for email, SMS, Voicemail, etc. This app is <50kb, so it's very tiny and to-the-point.

Basically it just checks every 10 seconds for a message and then blinks the LED (Green). If notification is "dismissed" by the user, it stops blinking.

There is no UI. You just drop the .exe in \Windows\Startup and that's it. No Mortscript.

Comes from the XDA/750 forum and was developed by acowx (<-- click for more information).

Directions:

1) Download and put SdkCerts.cab on device and run/install
    2) Drop msgled.exe into \Windows\Startup
    3) Reset
    Attached Files Attached Files

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    By having it check for new messages every 10 seconds, does it use more battery than TreoAlerts? I'm not sure, maybe TreoAlerts does the same thing.
  3.    #3  
    I would think all of these alert programs behave in the same way, more or less.

As far as battery life, I sure never noticed any changes between using this and not using it.

Sweet Mal..

Works as advertised. Thanks!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Sweet Mal..

Works as advertised. Thanks!!!
    np, glad it works.

Just out of curiosity, I ran the new MemMaid 2.0 for CPU cycles on MsgLed.exe:

Results: About every 10 seconds it consumes 1/10 of 1% CPU

That should alleviate any fears about battery consumption

Malatesa, what was the consumption before MsgLed.exe?
    Seems to work good so far, thanks Mal!!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    Malatesa, what was the consumption before MsgLed.exe?
    It's 0%. What I mean is, this is like the task manager in WinXP: it shows CPU usage for each program individually.

Actually, I just ran the CPU cycles again and it holds steady at 0% the whole time, I haven't even seen it jump to 0.10% like before. Maybe others can do some more tests. Either way, this is really a moot point as it won't have any discernible effects on battery consumption, it's too low level and quick.

Hey Mal...

Any way to alter it so the LED to stops blinking when activesync syncs with the exchange server and notices that all emails that were un-read on the phone are now read on the server?

Know what I mean?

Just curious...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Hey Mal...

Any way to alter it so the LED to stops blinking when activesync syncs with the exchange server and notices that all emails that were un-read on the phone are now read on the server?

Know what I mean?

Just curious...
    dunno, you'd have to contact the developer (I linked to his thread at XDA in the OP). I kind of doubt it as this is just a simple call to the OS for "active notifications" and there is no configuration. But he could give you a better answer...