Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Hi, hope this hasn't been answered before...

    I just bought a 700wx without a data plan. Yes, I know, I am insane...everyone has already told me this. I basically needed a PDA to help manage my schedule and contacts but don't really care about email or web on the phone. I just want to synch it to my work and home PCs and the verizon data plans are way more than I'm willing to pay to goof around on the web.

    In any case, a friend sent me a picture via MMS and now the phone seems to be wanting to dial up for broadband access to get it. I used to get pix messages on my e815 without any data plan...is this not possible on the treo? It would be a pretty big disappointment if that was the case.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by endus View Post
    Hi, hope this hasn't been answered before...
    Yes many times, but ok we will do it again

    Quote Originally Posted by endus View Post
    I just bought a 700wx without a data plan. Yes, I know, I am insane...everyone has already told me this.
    I agree whoever said that was insane


    Quote Originally Posted by endus View Post
    is this not possible on the treo? It would be a pretty big disappointment if that was the case.
    This is the case. MMS will use data. We tried to warn you, but alas, you are still dissapointed.

    Sorry you are learning after the fact, but the information is all over this board. What are you going to do now? I would also check your account through CS to see if you Treo has been connecting when you are not looking and you are about to get a $700 bill!!
  3. #3  
    Don't know your carrier, but, with VZW, MMS uses data on a PDA device. Does not use data on a regular phone. No way to change that.

    If you don't want to get excessive data charges (pay as you go per KB), I'd put a "block" on data. However that will also prevent MMS messaging.

    -Frank
  4.    #4  
    Didn't search thoroughly enough I guess...sorry for the dupe question. I was burning up the internet searching for info on this thing before I bought it...found out about bluetooth dialing and all that garbage but I guess I missed this one. I thought I had found everything. Oh well.

    Treo hasn't been connecting....I know better than that though I did just delete the connection now to be sure. That's pretty stupid that it works that way...just like a regular phone except worse in at least two important ways. Might as well have just bought the blackberry without the camera now.

    At least I can still text. I'll keep the phone...I still need the scheduling and its not worth returning to get something that will have similar problems for me. Maybe I'll get a data plan if the prices get more reasonable.

    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by endus; 07/09/2007 at 09:12 PM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by endus View Post
    At least I can still text. I'll keep the phone...I still need the scheduling and its not worth returning to get something that will have similar problems for me. Maybe I'll get a data plan if the prices get more reasonable.
    I wouldn't count on that.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pakman View Post
    I wouldn't count on that.
    Actually, I think it is very likely. In the future. All the calling plans are cheaper (per minutes) now than they were 5 years ago. The data plans actually have already come down since their first introduction ($89.99/mo for an aircard - now $59.99/mo). It'll come down. The question is when.... 6 months? A year? Two?

    -Frank
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by endus View Post
    That's pretty stupid that it works that way...just like a regular phone except worse in at least two important ways.
    The biggest mistake non-initiated people make when purchasing a PDA phone is assuming it is just like a regular phone except more. It's not! In fact, it's not a phone... not in the traditional cell phone sense. It's a computer that is running a phone application, among other apps. The plans are structured totally different than regular phone.

    Examples: PDAs have no WAP, no Get-it-now, no Backup Assistant, no VCAST, no TV (or whatever they're calling it). They just are not regular phone with add-ons. They are their own animal.

    My very first post after I got my Treo was "This is not a phone". Previously, I was suffering under most of the same misconceptions that I mentioned above. You gotta get out-a the "cell-phone" mentality when dealing with Treo's and other PDA-phones.

    Hence, most folks will say to newbies... they require a data plan. Get used to the idea.

    Personally, I feel your pain. My main use is for the PDA functionality combined with a phone. All the Internet connectivity is secondary for me and I wouldn't pay for it if I didn't have to. Now tethering is another matter. I do want that. Of course, you can't have that without the data plan (catch 22).

    -Frank
  8. #8  
    Hey Endus,

    I wrote my initial reply in an airport and now that I am home and re-reading, I really came down on you hard. Sorry about that. You seem like a reasonable guy/gal and at least tried to get information, which is a lot more than most people. It is a big surprise when getting a Smartphone compared to a regular cell phone as Frankxs mentioned. Unlike him though, I find the data connectivity of a smartphone its strongest point and feel without it it severely impacts its power. I also realize I am no longer a student and well established so I can afford the Verizon data plans. In my younger days, I would be choking on those prices too.

    So that had me thinking of your MMS predicament and came up with this solution. It is not free, but at least it only entails an initial start up and no ongoing costs. Get a WiFi card that fits in the SD slot and use it to connect to free hotspots and at home. You can then email your MMS pictures and videos to people's MMS email address, for example with Verizon it is 10digitphonenumber@vzpix.com . You can then have people MMS pictures and video to an email address that you can then check when you are in WiFi. You do lose immediate notification though, but if you tell them to text first, that is a possible workaround (but not elegant and it could get old trying to explain it to people over and over). I have never done this, but it is a possible solution.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Actually, I think it is very likely. In the future. All the calling plans are cheaper (per minutes) now than they were 5 years ago. The data plans actually have already come down since their first introduction ($89.99/mo for an aircard - now $59.99/mo). It'll come down. The question is when.... 6 months? A year? Two?

    -Frank
    Yea, I'm definitely not counting on it coming down but I think you're right. The rates for data are outrageous right now...the plan they offered me was as much as I pay for broadband at home.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Examples: PDAs have no WAP, no Get-it-now, no Backup Assistant, no VCAST, no TV (or whatever they're calling it). They just are not regular phone with add-ons. They are their own animal.
    You're 100% right. I was really prepared for almost everything. I could give a crap about VCAST and TV and all that garbage. My gaming needs are basic and there's plenty for Windows mobile. I was ready to deal with the no-bluetooth-voice dialing thing even though that might be the most ridiculous lack of a feature that I've ever heard of....I just didnt quite catch this one. You're right though...it's just another symptom of the same issue...that it's not a regular phone...it's a computer with a phone app.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by weth View Post
    Hey Endus,

    I wrote my initial reply in an airport and now that I am home and re-reading, I really came down on you hard. Sorry about that. You seem like a reasonable guy/gal and at least tried to get information, which is a lot more than most people. It is a big surprise when getting a Smartphone compared to a regular cell phone as Frankxs mentioned. Unlike him though, I find the data connectivity of a smartphone its strongest point and feel without it it severely impacts its power. I also realize I am no longer a student and well established so I can afford the Verizon data plans. In my younger days, I would be choking on those prices too.

    So that had me thinking of your MMS predicament and came up with this solution. It is not free, but at least it only entails an initial start up and no ongoing costs. Get a WiFi card that fits in the SD slot and use it to connect to free hotspots and at home. You can then email your MMS pictures and videos to people's MMS email address, for example with Verizon it is 10digitphonenumber@vzpix.com . You can then have people MMS pictures and video to an email address that you can then check when you are in WiFi. You do lose immediate notification though, but if you tell them to text first, that is a possible workaround (but not elegant and it could get old trying to explain it to people over and over). I have never done this, but it is a possible solution.
    Dude noooo problem at all. I have been posting to forums for a REAL long time and have "come down" on many a person in my time. I didn't even see it as you coming down on me at all...I appreciated you responding to what was a question that has obviously been asked before. It's totally my fault for not searching better. Even if you had hammered me...trust me...I can take it.

    Your suggestion re: wireless was something I was thinking about anyway just to be able to surf the web in random places. Unfortunately what I wanted the camera for was to send people pictures from really odd places. I am a photographer and explore abandoned buildings and sometimes I just like to shoot pictures to people of strange places I'm in. So, the wireless won't help with that but it's a good idea in general anyway.

    The data plans...I could afford it if I wanted to (mercifully I'm a few years out of college) but for the prices they charge it's not worth it. I'm on a shared plan with my girlfriend and it was going to cost as much as broadband for my house to get it. One thing I definitely DO NOT want is to have my work be able to email me anywhere and everywhere, so it would be mostly for goofing around, surfing the web, and checking my gmail and domain mail accounts which aren't that busy anyway. the one really nice part would be google maps, which I just found out about....but still...it's just not worth the huge monthly cost to me.

    Thanks for the response mang!
  12. #12  
    are you on vzw? cause if you are... that's your number 1 problem. I think sprint data plans start at $29 for unlimited data. and if you're on a sero plan like most of us then you'll pay $29 for your voice plan with unlimited data included. the plans are amazingly cheap. however if you are with vzw then the wifi card is a better solution. you can find a list of carrier domains here...

    http://www.hiptools.net/sms/

    it has a listing of all carriers and you send it in your regular email. I use it all the time to send picture messages. works like a charm!
  13. D-Bo's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #13  
    I still think you made the right decision Endus. PPC> Crackberry.

    I also found some unexpected differences when I got my Treo, but the benefits far outweigh them and I found the Treo community had come up with a number of work arounds that helped me tailor my Treo to my specific uses.



    On a side note, I really like the Calender+ plugin for the today screen it allows you more control of the calender formatting: http://www.freewareppc.com/clock/calendar.shtml
  14. JM12345's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    #14  
    Endus I am in the same boat you are. I have had a lot of PPC phones like the xv6700, the xv6600, and now the Treo 700w. All of them I did not get the data package, I use it mainly for scheduling, tasks and notes. Like weth said, being a college kid (which I am) it is really hard for me to afford those prices.

Posting Permissions