Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else see this in Morningpaper?

http://morningpaper.typepad.com/morn...le-pic-of.html

Looks a bit thick, doesn't it?

Surur
    Another re-warmed Treo/RIMM wannabe? Geez, so good of Ed and co to innovate their way to the top.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    Another re-warmed Treo/RIMM wannabe? Geez, so good of Ed and co to innovate their way to the top.
    How many ways can you put keyboard on a PDA while keeping it always ready to use?
    Just 1. The treo form factor. No matter what they do to it, its not going to be innovative. make it thinner make it wider make it a HTC device its still the Treo form factor.
    For palm to be innovate they need to change the way people use their treo by moving the keyboard (hence the foleo) and doing in so they are going to p*ss a lot of treo users off. I for one love meaning able to pick up my treo and start typing or hold coffee in one hand and send a text in the other.
    As long as they slim it down and pack in as much stuff as possible I'm happy.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    There really isn't a whole lot wrong with the form factor on the Treos.
    They just need to focus on adding power to the treos, add GPS and jiffy up the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    I have to agree with everyone else here, how many ways can you reinvent the wheel?

Fact is, these are Treos. That form factor is pretty much their Trademark and if they were to "radically" change it (a) it would alienate just as many people (b) people would still b*tch that it's not the iPhone.

At the end of the day, it's the user experience that matters, including their 320x320 resolution and OS refinements (they still blow HTC out of the water as far as OS tweaking, that's a fact; also Palm's hardware is classier and more refined, imo).

Black is a nice touch.

As far as "thick" we still have to get actual measurements, but I'd gladly take a somewhat thicker device for longer battery life.

The are no WM Professional devices so far that can pull off "super thin" and long battery life. I'd rather compromise on the former, but that's me. The rest can stick with a Q, etc.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I think people who are concerned for the health of Palm wish they made more salable devices, so they company does not go under. Of course we also want power-user devices to satisfy our requirements. Its a bit of impossible line to run with only one device line, but hopefully as the product line differentiates they will be able to satisfy all comers.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think people who are concerned for the health of Palm wish they made more salable devices, so they company does not go under. Of course we also want power-user devices to satisfy our requirements. Its a bit of impossible line to run with only one device line, but hopefully as the product line differentiates they will be able to satisfy all comers.

Surur
    Exactly, I think with a low-end smartphone line and a high end PPC line, they should be able to gain some of that market.

It'll all come down in the end to how much they can differentiate themselves from the competition. That task gets harder and harder with each new "clone" device. Hopefully they have more GUI tweaks like the HTC Touch to offers...that goes a long way.

We cannot say that this is the final product, but Sprint has it marked "HIGH" which we can only assume means they are putting a lot of importance on this one.
    I'll take one I also hope the specs will match what we've heard so far.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I definitely agree that I would rather have a bigger device with great battery life.
    looks good as long as battery life isn't sacrficed too much & i hope they ATLEAST include builtin wifi this time
    People, take a chill pill...there is no dimension specs from what I see. This think might actualy be a little thinner. Not as thin as some would like but I found the 755p to feel good in my hands compared to the 700 and if this is even scaled down a little more than 755 I would be happy. We are looking at battery life, loads of goodies and touchscreen, so how thin can they get it without sacrifice. IMHO, if the pics are anything like the final product I think this is a nice looking device holding its Palm form factor. I don't want the Treo to look like an HTC device...I want it to still look like a Treo. I would just be more interested in an 800p. I know I always speak on this forum of jumping ship when my contracts up but if Palm can surprise me and do something before that time I may not.
    at&t iPhone3G
  13.    #13  
    It looks a bit thinner to me, and I think it looks great. I agree with most people that you really can't change the Treo form factor because it really beats out everything else right now IMO. GPS, wifi, 2-3mp camera, 128mb/256mb RAM/ROM, miniSD, ~18mm thick body, 320x320, and of course, WM6 Pro would catapult the treo to the head of the smartphone pack again.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    It looks a bit thinner to me, and I think it looks great. I agree with most people that you really can't change the Treo form factor because it really beats out everything else right now IMO. GPS, wifi, 2-3mp camera, 128mb/256mb RAM/ROM, miniSD, ~18mm thick body, 320x320, and of course, WM6 Pro would catapult the treo to the head of the smartphone pack again.
    I've been wrong before, but I don't think those are unreasonable or unrealistic requests. The GPS and 3MP camera are really the only items that are not yet standard on flagship devices. 320x320 allows for efficiencies by making all Treos use the exact same hardware.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I've been wrong before, but I don't think those are unreasonable or unrealistic requests. The GPS and 3MP camera are really the only items that are not yet standard on flagship devices. 320x320 allows for efficiencies by making all Treos use the exact same hardware.
    It seems like GPS is something that is just exploding in popularity right now, and considering that top Nokia and HTC models have that and 3mp cameras, I feel like palm really has no choice anymore and really needs to get on the ball. Wifi, GPS, 3G and BT 2.0 are all possible with WM6 and so Palm should focus on bringing all of the wireless technologies together to really get a superstar product out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    It seems like GPS is something that is just exploding in popularity right now, and considering that top Nokia and HTC models have that and 3mp cameras, I feel like palm really has no choice anymore and really needs to get on the ball. Wifi, GPS, 3G and BT 2.0 are all possible with WM6 and so Palm should focus on bringing all of the wireless technologies together to really get a superstar product out.
    I agree about GPS and about Wifi, but...

Enter the carriers...

In the case of Sprint, the only "smartphone" device with GPS enabled is the BB and that is by choice, that is Sprint intends for it to be the only smartphone with GPS (at least that is what tech said and it jives with their offerings). Had they wanted it in the 6800 it most definitely could have been done, very easily.

Same with Wifi: 6700 --> 6800, that's it.

Maybe Sprint will change this but I have a feeling some of these OEMs do want to offer more but are requested not to do so.

I sure hope this changes as it is unfair to OEMs who want to put those in but can't b/c the carriers want you to use TeleNav and charge you $10/month instead or use their data.

As far as camera, it's more about lens and auto-focus than just MP. So if they can put in a high quality camera lens and leave it at 2MP I'd be happy (the Kaiser seems to be the first impressive HTC camera).

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I personally predict Palm is going to try and squeeze THREE separate models out of this formfactor.

I think they will go with an 800p & 800w with similar but not identical specs. EVDO Rev.A, 2mp or 3mp camera and wi-fi on the WM6 Pro version. The FrankenGarnet version will make do with EVDO Rev.0, 1.3mp camera, and no wi-fi. Both versions will feature integrated GPS. I would expect both to be CDMA-based, at least intially (much like the 700w/700p led into the 750/680 for GSM).

Then I think Palm will go with a scaled-down version of this formfactor for a cut-rate WM Smartphone/Standard CDMA device. Probably a lesser camera, no wi-fi, maybe no Rev. A. No touchscreen, and a Q-sized 320x240 screen of course.

So Palm's Treo line will start with a $200 WM Smartphone version of the Gandolf, then the traditional Treo stylings of the carryover 680, 750 (refreshed with Wm6), and 755p models, with the 800p up next and the 800as the flagship model (the "Mercedes" Treo Colligan hinted at a while back).

I also wouldn't rule out a mild refresh for midrange CDMA WM models later this summer or early fall, with a 755w with identical specs to the 755p other than A2DP and WM6 Pro.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Both versions will feature integrated GPS.
    How many times are we going to have this conversation....? There will be N.O. GPS in the coming Treos. Period! You can't expect features from Palm only because the competition offers them, otherwise Palm would have offered Wifi years ago.

And don't make me repeat myself again regarding this matter
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm did offer wi-fi "years" ago....in 2003 in the T|C then again in 2005 with the LifeDrive and TX. And now they'll offer it again in 2007 with the Fooleo.

:-)

Seriously, I do NOT see them adding a 320x480 screen to the Treo line in any way, shape or form. Palm has grown SO attached to320x320 and now that WM6 supports it they will stick to it like glue. Palm never really even supported their large-screened PDAs enthusiastically and devlopers had a bear dealing with the T3/T5/LD/TX transition. Just look how few PDAs Palm ever released with that screen before retreating to the safety of Small Square Screens (SSS).

But between wi-fi, GPS, a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack and a large screen, I still think GPS is the most likely candidate for Palm to integrate into future Treos because it could be easily integrated into the existing formfactors without requiring retooling and Palm has (relatively) some history of GPS products. And it would make sense for Palm and/or the carriers to begin looking toward LBS offerings in the future (by way of our friends at Google of course).

It might now (probably won't) happen this calendar year but I still maintain that we'll see a Treo (or a Fooleo spinoff) with integrated GPS by fall '08.
    Us Treo folks need to stop fooling ourselves. We are not Palm's customers! The cell carriers are. Period! Palm releases products that satisfy what wireless providers want to offer. If its not what we want, too bad. We're complaining about the wrong company. Its the carriers that are stuck in their ways. They don't care about our niche. We need to figure out how to get our voices heard by our carriers if we want truly innovative products.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast