Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Us Treo folks need to stop fooling ourselves. We are not Palm's customers! The cell carriers are. Period! Palm releases products that satisfy what wireless providers want to offer. If its not what we want, too bad. We're complaining about the wrong company. Its the carriers that are stuck in their ways. They don't care about our niche. We need to figure out how to get our voices heard by our carriers if we want truly innovative products.
    I agree 100%

If the carriers want a Treo with wifi and GPS, then bygolly they'll get one. Palm is a contracted company who makes devices to carrier specifications. They are allowed some wiggle room, but they cannot dictate features.

This is why the iPhone seems so "innovative", just look at the "deal" they got with AT&T--full control over every aspect of the device and release. I'm sure all Palm (and every other OEM) is envious of is the power they have over AT&T.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I second that agreement

if you need more proof of how much the us carriers control the market, consider this: how often can you purchase a phone directly from the manufacturer? The carriers are palm's customers.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by non_sequitur View Post
    I second that agreement

if you need more proof of how much the us carriers control the market, consider this: how often can you purchase a phone directly from the manufacturer? The carriers are palm's customers.
    Yea, I don't think that anyone can reasonably expect consumers directly to be Palm's customer, although Palm is one of the mfrs where you can buy direct from them. Of course, the big business comes from the carriers, and that's who the OEMs have to please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have to agree with everyone else here, how many ways can you reinvent the wheel?

Fact is, these are Treos. That form factor is pretty much their Trademark and if they were to "radically" change it (a) it would alienate just as many people (b) people would still b*tch that it's not the iPhone.

At the end of the day, it's the user experience that matters, including their 320x320 resolution and OS refinements (they still blow HTC out of the water as far as OS tweaking, that's a fact; also Palm's hardware is classier and more refined, imo).
    I agree here. There really isn't much more you can do to the Treo form factor, besides making it thinner. Smaller would just make the screen and/or keyboard smaller, which would suck. The only real area that has tons of potential is the SOFTWARE.

Software has always been the biggest factor in the user experience. The Palm OS's biggest advantage has been it's endless array of software available to it. And I think the hardkey buttons that let you jump to your most used contacts in an instant.

There just isn't that much more you can do formfactor wise to make it more one hand friendly.
    I think the form factor can be maintained while adding a slightly longer screen. Several mockups have been shown that try to accomplish this. Other than that, make it thinner and work on the internals and the software.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2007/0...s-to-yard.html

Would it every happen? Have un-locked phones? Pro-rated termination fees or none at all?
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    How about maybe a clam shell model or one with a partially exposed keyboard, but that slid down to reveal the entire keyboard.

With the current model, it may seem silly, but if there was a thin one, a folding one wouldn't be so thick. I'd have to see it first before I'll say I like it.

As for the slide out keyboard. I was thinking of something like the Sprint Mogul where with the keyboard hidden, you can do most of the stuff you need to do. Maybe even have an onscreen keypad to dial numbers or look up phone book entries. You can then slide out the keyboard if you need to send a text or type out an email or document. Of course, that may just look silly, and not very practical, but it's something I thought of while reading through this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    There really isn't a whole lot wrong with the form factor on the Treos.
    They just need to focus on adding power to the treos, add GPS and jiffy up the screen.

perfectly said. i have always loved the treo form factor. it is the weak palm os that has a strangle hold on palm. if you actually look at all of the devices out there, they are palm 650 wanna be's. the reason i left the palm camp is because the palm os just purely sucks, but the form factor is still number one in my eyes.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    It would be nice to get a multitouch screen system like the iPhone though. Flush glass instead of recessed beveled plastic screen would allow the device to be a bit thinner, or if not thinner (I don't really care about thin myself) hold a bigger battery. Give the thing a standard 3.5mm headphone jack too. On top preferably.
    The whole multi-touch thing is pretty bogus, especially on a small screen. On the iPhone its only really used for zooming in web pages and pictures, both of which could easily accomplished in another way, e.g. even on the iPhone you can zoom by double tapping the screen, which any touch sensitive phone can do.

iPhone multi-touch hysteria is tiring.

Surur
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The whole multi-touch thing is pretty bogus, especially on a small screen. On the iPhone its only really used for zooming in web pages and pictures, both of which could easily accomplished in another way, e.g. even on the iPhone you can zoom by double tapping the screen, which any touch sensitive phone can do.

Surur
    Correction....

iPhone hysteria is tiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Hehehe. One guesses that you are more than a bit tired, maybe having on the in the home contributes to this some

If the UI were designed that way, in how SUrur describes here, then mutli-touch is no more than a gimicky feature. Sure, it can come in handy for a few things, especialyl game playing and typing (and obviously more). However, a single/double/spatial tapping system can and should work on any touchschree. Screens would have to be large in order to take best advantage of this though.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12