1.    #1  
    I am a private tutor and many a times my students start playing with my phone. I dont want to really be mad at them, but also am afraid they might change some settings... Is there any app that could help me control what they can and cant access.. like block camera, media player and file explorer stuff///

thanks for sharing...
    Last edited by prabhg; 07/07/2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot to mention it was windows mobile OS..
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    I am a private tutor and many a times my students start playing with my phone. I dont want to really be mad at them, but also am afraid they might change some settings... Is there any app that could help me control what they can and cant access.. like block camera, media player and file explorer stuff///

thanks for sharing...
    applock is probably the best for this but you still need to think about how you want others to use your phone. the easiest scenario would be that you are only letting people use one app, then Apploc lets you lock down all other apps (with a passkey). You could then just quickly enable that pre-chosen set of apps before you hand over the phone.

but if you want people to be able to choose between a set of apps, then they need access to a launcher, and I dont know any launcher that lets you stop people from doing a whole lot of unwanted alterations (actually there's a market for a launcher like this!!)

what i do is permamently lock down all the apps that are capable of major alterations (security, uninstallmanager, backupman etc) and if im really worried do a quick back-up to my card. I do nightly automated backups as well, so if i havent done this quick-back-up, its not too serious anyway. Zlauncher however still lets people go to the card - so they could theoretically delete my backups, but luckily ive not come across anyone that industrious/malicious/stupid yet!

applock lets you set a button press passkey (i use 3 presses of the phone button) so its not a real hassle to open up this set of permamently locked downed apps

i guess another way/refinement to the above would be to use a Launcher that has profiles, and then create a profile that only shows the set of apps you want the people to access. Not a failsafe by any means, but it does create another hurdle

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 07/06/2007 at 05:06 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    applock is probably the best for this but you still need to think about how you want others to use your phone. the easiest scenario would be that you are only letting people use one app, then Apploc lets you lock down all other apps (with a passkey). You could then just quickly enable that pre-chosen set of apps before you hand over the phone.
    Thanks for the info TRgEOff. I am sorry I forgot to mention that I use Treo 750. The liked what applock can do, but I wish it had a WM5 counterpart.

Any other s/w??