1.    #1  
    What is up with Palm? No HSDPA for the 750. How many hits can Palm take as designer of smartphones and developer of software for the Palm OS and Linux platform beside tweaking the Win OS on the Treo. At this point they are Master of None. The Treo Linux has been delayed. rim and apple are out in front.
    It's really a moot point as this is already built-in and ready for the very simple task of adding the small program to tell the Treo to turn it on. Works flawlessly on mine.

See the sticky in this forum.
    Jer 23:29
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    What is up with Palm? No HSDPA for the 750. How many hits can Palm take as designer of smartphones and developer of software for the Palm OS and Linux platform beside tweaking the Win OS on the Treo. At this point they are Master of None. The Treo Linux has been delayed. rim and apple are out in front.
    Yep, the iPhone sure is out in front with the wonderful speedy EDGE

As the poster said above, HSDPA is built into the 750. You can download a tool to enable now or wait until Palm releases WM6 for the 750 which has HSDPA enabled.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    The aussie one is released with HSDPA enabled - and appears to work well - no way of telling unless you can get speeds >1mb.
    The 'U' character isn't replaced with an H when it's using HSDPA
    Quote Originally Posted by gsouth View Post
    The aussie one is released with HSDPA enabled - and appears to work well - no way of telling unless you can get speeds >1mb.
    The 'U' character isn't replaced with an H when it's using HSDPA
    That would mean that the software (OS) is different on the Aussie release than every other country in the world (aside from language). I highly doubt this is the case. Do you have proof that your statement is true?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    http://www.palm.com/au/products/smar...750/specs.html
    and
    http://www.imobile.com.au/PhoneRevie...reviewsapr0711
    About halfway down when they confirmed it with Palm Australia - oh I have also tested it on dslreport.com and get responses over 800K pretty consistently
    Quote Originally Posted by gsouth View Post
    http://www.palm.com/au/products/smar...750/specs.html
    and
    http://www.imobile.com.au/PhoneRevie...reviewsapr0711
    About halfway down when they confirmed it with Palm Australia - oh I have also tested it on dslreport.com and get responses over 800K pretty consistently
    Thanks for that info. Just more salt to pour on the wounds of Palm:

To get the official word on the Australian Treo 750, I spoke to Palm directly. They said that the Treo 750 sold here does support HSDPA. The U (UMTS) icon which appears in the task bar (indicating data transfer) is standard with Windows Mobile 5 there is no H (or equivalent) icon for HSDPA, but HSDPA is being used when the U icon is displayed.
    Why on earth would they sell a device that has HSDPA enabled for another country and leave the US out?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The explanation I have seen is that Cingular's testing uncovered flaws in the HSPDA support and they wanted a fix before enabling. This isn't official, of course. But Cingular/AT&T always said that HSPDA would come, though most expected it to be sooner rather than later.

Me, I'm still waiting for UMTS to come to my hometown. EDGE is all I get. UMTS is a tantalizing 10 miles away in the next state. So pardon me if I don't get all hot and bothered about HSPDA.
    The hack is so eaay to install I don't find it to be a big deal. Plus wm6 supports hsdpa natively, so once that update is rolled out it will not be an issue anymore. ATT, Cingular probably found the delay was too long, battery life was sub-standard, etc. At least we have the choice of enabling it, even though they didn't give us the choice themselves.