1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have had the 700w & now the 700wx from Verizon. I have to admit, I am surprised at how slow it takes fixes to get out from Palm (or maybe VZW). Is the 700w/wx series just not an important phone or does it really just take forever for updates to get out?

The 6800 & all the mods for it (or mods that will be coming out) make it very tempting. I think I am spoiled by the Treo's one handedness but the small screen & the lack of any type of support really bother me.

I almost feel like their version of new software is a whole new Treo (Treo 800). Maybe its the complete lack of communication, or the bumbling of the 700p updates.

Am I alone? (Sorry for the rant).

Rich
    They're slow because they would rather you buy a new phone than issue an update. Sad but true.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I would think that they are also not as swift as they once were when they only had one model. Additionally, each update they make usually have to be re-certified by each carrier to confirm that it does not conflict with their own software or network. Then a carrier specific update is released. It's really a protracted process for any manufacturer. They just may not have enough horses to pull that wagon.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Well I had the Treo 700w when it first came out and there was an update within 6 months from it's release. Since then VZW hasn't put an update out for the Treo 700w or the wx.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    I would think that they are also not as swift as they once were when they only had one model. Additionally, each update they make usually have to be re-certified by each carrier to confirm that it does not conflict with their own software or network. Then a carrier specific update is released. It's really a protracted process for any manufacturer. They just may not have enough horses to pull that wagon.
    I agree with this 100%.

Palm is a small company and they do have a lot going on now (including getting WM6 done for the 750, which has a larger market than the 700w/x). Carriers are a huge factor in this, actually they are the biggest factor.

Palm could want to give us tons of updates, WM6 even, but if the carriers see no need for, don't request it or reject it, Palm cannot do anything for us. Furthermore, Palm is even forbidden to speak to us about any potential updates as they are not in the position to "announce" anything to the customer without the carrier's approval.

As far as how to the compare to other companies and in frequency: I'd say no better, no worse (though the 700p update was pretty mangled). Most devices get one product update in their life-cycle. The 700p even go theirs post-EOL/1+ year after release.

Hopefully with WM6, some of this will be alleviated as MS will be able to proved some updates via the built in WM Updater program, which doesn't even require a hard-reset. Though even that will have limitations of which I do not know specifically.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter