Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using Palm products on and off since the Pilot. I purchased the 750v thinking the WM6 upgrade will be just around the corner. Come July and still nothing. I mean Nokia and Sony Ericsson has way better firmware support, I also own the Nokia N80 and Sony Ericsson P990i. I mean even Microsoft have more updates then Palm. Seriously, there so call enhancements for the 750 should take that much resources. I mean do they have like 1 programmer working or something? I seen hacked ROMs over the xda developers with way more features than the 750 and they release new version every month. I am only using the 750 because the Blackberry service in China is way too expensive and not widely available.

This will be the last Palm product I will ever buy. They deserve to go bankrupt with such poor support.
    according to some sources, the WM6 will be released soon. I don't know when but it will be out soon. Just check out their website for updates.
    750 is a WM5 device, never buy a device in hopes of an upgrade to an entirely new OS. Im still surprised were going to see an upgrade at all from Palm.

I do agree Palm should have at least released a "Service Pack" fixing some of the issues with the software/hardware, but not upset a WM6 upgrade isnt out.

When WM6 is released for the Treo 750, it best fix some of the issues or you DO have something to write about!
    I mean do they have like 1 programmer working or something?
    Yes, and he/she just got finished with the Folio. Before that, he/she finished patching the POS!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Yes, and he/she just got finished with the Folio. Before that, he/she finished patching the POS!
    Exactly... Now that lonely programer is working on the new Treo 8xx. The Treo 750 is so "old School" now
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    There are lots of Palm Treo 750's and everyone I know loves theirs. There are very few complaints about the phone except for some minor annoyances. Just because Palm doesn't release patches as fast as Microsoft doesn't mean it's a problematic phone. I haven't had a single problem with mine, and I've been through two of them (the first was stolen.) Every few weeks someone comes on this board and makes a comment like "Treo 750 sucks, or Windows Mobile Sucks" yet you read what they issues are and they have nothing to do with either. Sorry you are not happy with Palm but I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason that they have not released WM 6 yet, and frankly I would rather wait until it's rock solid then Palm releasing something that they will have more complaints about.
    P.S. I do not work for Palm but I do love my Treo 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmah View Post
    I've been using Palm products on and off since the Pilot. I purchased the 750v thinking the WM6 upgrade will be just around the corner. Come July and still nothing.
    Motorola is skipping on the Sprint/Verizon Q for upgrades despite the Dash/Blackjack getting them.

Speaking of, Samsung Blackjack hasn't had it's update yet.

HTC just announced delays for it's WM6 upgrade program.

Why not slam them too? Were you given a firm date by Palm?

The 700wx has never been mentioned to get an update despite being slightly older than the 750, but mostly the same.

So all I can say is "boo hoo". You didn't even mention why you want/need WM6 and I'm thinking you are anticipating drastic changes when most reviews suggest moderate changes and that it's not really a big deal.

If you knew about Palm's treatment of WM you'd notice they engineer the OS much deeper than anyone at HTC does and therefore it takes more time. Try an HTC device an be amazingly underwhelmed at their "customizations" and optimizations (there are none for the latter).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Seriously, Palm has never been known to push out updates fast, the 8525 and blackjack were announced TOGETHER with the 750 to get wm6 updates, and none of the three have them yet. The only phones to get them so far,actually, are t-mobile devices, which Msft announced would get them first. No one officially gave a time table either.

This is what happens when you show things at conferences that won't be out for a while. People get antsy. I don't blame the op, I blame palm and ms for showing off blackjacks and treos with wm6 on them 3 months ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    I blame palm and ms for showing off blackjacks and treos with wm6 on them 3 months ago
    Any pics of the 750 with WM6 were not official pictures. All Palm did was release a press release in conjunction with the WM6 official release stating their intention to update the 750 "this year" with WM6, that's all.

I do blame people for being antsy since they usually obfuscate all the details like the time it takes to adapt to OEM specifications, customization and finally carrier approval. Do people think this is conspiracy? That Palm has no interest in rolling this out?

I guess it's easy to b*tch when you don't have to do anything but wait and get a free update.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I went into an at&t store today with my gf to get her a new phone and i was asking one of the sales people about wm6 and when its going to be released for the 750 and the guy said around the end of the year. Thats all... just wanted to throw that out there. And remember this isnt me saying this, its one of the sales people.
    Quote Originally Posted by kr3st View Post
    I went into an at&t store today with my gf to get her a new phone and i was asking one of the sales people about wm6 and when its going to be released for the 750 and the guy said around the end of the year. Thats all... just wanted to throw that out there. And remember this isnt me saying this, its one of the sales people.
    And sales people, especially the ones at the ATT stores, are known for how much accurate information they really know.

Seriously, peruse the forums here or at howardforums for a week or two and you'll know 10x more than any sales person....except the select few to peruse those forums too.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    oh i know i was just saying what i heard i never said i believed him or trusted him 100%... just relaying what i heard, thats all.
    Carrier testing taking some time, I can understand, especially knowing that the bulk of ATTs engineering folks were obsessed on making the iPhone launch.

However, having built many many many a customized WM5/6 ROM, I can tell you it doesn't take a whole lot of time to customize, and that's without MS-provided tools. Regression testing is mostly automated, so that doesn't take long either.

No, I think there are other motivations at work here...none with the customer in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Any pics of the 750 with WM6 were not official pictures. All Palm did was release a press release in conjunction with the WM6 official release stating their intention to update the 750 "this year" with WM6, that's all.

I do blame people for being antsy since they usually obfuscate all the details like the time it takes to adapt to OEM specifications, customization and finally carrier approval. Do people think this is conspiracy? That Palm has no interest in rolling this out?

I guess it's easy to b*tch when you don't have to do anything but wait and get a free update.
    Quote Originally Posted by summiter View Post
    Carrier testing taking some time, I can understand, especially knowing that the bulk of ATTs engineering folks were obsessed on making the iPhone launch.

However, having built many many many a customized WM5/6 ROM, I can tell you it doesn't take a whole lot of time to customize, and that's without MS-provided tools. Regression testing is mostly automated, so that doesn't take long either.

No, I think there are other motivations at work here...none with the customer in mind.
    My counter-argument is as follows:

(1)
    HTC and Samsung have both not released updates either. Motorola is just out of the picture in this regard. So it seems unfair to just slam one OEM and not the others. Plus you leave "other motivations" undefined which makes a vacuous argument.

(2)
    Palm goes a lot deeper than just slapping an OS with standard APIs and device drivers, especially in comparison to the previous OEMs. In turn, it is not surprisng for them to take a bit longer since they do much more e.g.

From Greg Shirai (Palm) & John Traynor (MS) - link
    "We asked to be able to differentiate on this platform," said Shirai, who added that Palm was exposed to Windows Mobile 5.0 early on and that Microsoft engineers added API calls at Palm's request to help it add Palm-style features on top of Windows. Palm, he said, figured that "if we can add our special sauce [to Windows Mobile], we can light up the smartphone market even faster."
    Gates said that Palm's engineers provided valuable inputs that influenced some of the features of Windows Mobile 5.0. "The engineers got together immediately and said, "let's create a great product," Colligan added.
    - link

That's a key difference here: Palm's engineers work with MS's engineers and even have input in the OS development, does any other OEM do that?

Furthermore, the 700w project took 2 years from start-to-finish, granted a lot of that was a lot of paperwork, etc, but these things take time.

Not true about wm6. I can't remember the name of it right now, but there was a digital conference a few months back in which ms participated in. Their area showcased wm6, and on display was a blackjack, and I believe a treo 750 and an 8525 as well. Sorry for the lack of info but that's all I can remember right now.
    Another point is that the BJ, and the 8525 has cooked WM 6 ROMS. I think most people would at least be happy with those. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    Another point is that the BJ, and the 8525 has cooked WM 6 ROMS. I think most people would at least be happy with those. I know I would.
    Cooked ROMs on beta releases of the OS are foolish.

And the BJ leaked WM6 is hardly stable. It's a lot better for the final release to come then playing with fire.

The 8525 and Blackjack were released in what, November? The treo was released in Jan/Feb? That being said, I don't think Palm is doing any worse than either HTC or Samsung with upgrades yet. I feel like AT&T is the reason why we're delayed on getting WM6 on all 3 devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The 8525 and Blackjack were released in what, November? The treo was released in Jan/Feb? That being said, I don't think Palm is doing any worse than either HTC or Samsung with upgrades yet. I feel like AT&T is the reason why we're delayed on getting WM6 on all 3 devices.
    Maybe the companies knew they couldn't compete with the hype of the iphone and are waiting until the dust settles.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Maybe the companies knew they couldn't compete with the hype of the iphone and are waiting until the dust settles.
    That would make sense if they were releasing new products, but not for an update.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast