Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ahh where to start..where to start.

I suppose you've never seen some of the things Dopod (now owned by HTC), HTC, and even Orange(the carrier) do with regards to customization - some of it is phenominal. They hook pretty deep into the OS via standard APIs and kludgy but effective means. Yes, other device manufacturers have strong engineering relationships with MS. HTC has an exchange program (as do other OEMs, of varying degree) that often has HTC engineers onsite at MS for months at a time. HTC manufactures the Palm devices btw, based on Palm's specifications. I'd be interested in what you believe Palm does with their OS that other OEMs do not.

Oh yeah - HTC has already started their WM6 rollout for existing devices. It's staggered over 2 weeks or so to lessen the impact on various support organizations. Here's the link on the HTC Asia site with more information:
    http://www.asia.htc.com/asia/event/WM6/download.html

Anyway, I'm not here trying to start a debate...merely making informed observations. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    My counter-argument is as follows:

(1)
    HTC and Samsung have both not released updates either. Motorola is just out of the picture in this regard. So it seems unfair to just slam one OEM and not the others. Plus you leave "other motivations" undefined which makes a vacuous argument.

(2)
    Palm goes a lot deeper than just slapping an OS with standard APIs and device drivers, especially in comparison to the previous OEMs. In turn, it is not surprisng for them to take a bit longer since they do much more e.g.

From Greg Shirai (Palm) & John Traynor (MS) - link

- link

That's a key difference here: Palm's engineers work with MS's engineers and even have input in the OS development, does any other OEM do that?

Furthermore, the 700w project took 2 years from start-to-finish, granted a lot of that was a lot of paperwork, etc, but these things take time.
    Quote Originally Posted by summiter View Post
    Ahh where to start..where to start.

I suppose you've never seen some of the things Dopod (now owned by HTC), HTC, and even Orange(the carrier) do with regards to customization - some of it is phenominal. HTC manufactures the Palm devices btw, based on Palm's specifications. I'd be interested in what you believe Palm does with their OS that other OEMs do not.
    Yeah, I know about HTC but I also think Invatec may be involved as well. Either way, HTC has no input on the design or materials, they just assemble them.

I've seen and used the O2 add on programs and they help, but I find them "kludgy". The OEM customization thing is certainly growing as HTC has shown with TouchFLO which obviously have MS's fingerprints all over it. I don't mean to imply Palm is the only group that does such mods, but I think they are better at it for the following reasons:

- Palm's ease-of-use philosophy: They ported a lot of the great PalmOS mods over such as dial from today screen, google search, soft-button customization (last called numbers, contacts, etc.). Threaded SMS is huge. Single button speed dialing. Basically, they made WM5 more phone friendly. More importantly, they don't feel like they are just 3rd part programs but a part of the actual OS.
    - Speed. The Treo 700wx only has a 312mhz processor, yet is simply much, much more efficient and faster than many devices w/416mhz processors. It's quite odd but I would think most would agree with this assessment. They did something with memory and resource allocation that makes WM5 a lot less sluggish. Heck, watch the vid of a 750 with a beta WM6.
    - RAM: After a soft-reset, the Treo 700wx has 47mb of RAM available with 10 mb "in use", which is rare for WM devices (unless others can share their experiences?)

This is what I mean, they just don't "add" little battery programs or some half-a*ssed task managers, but actually change the way the OS feels and operates. At least here in the U.S. I have completely failed to see any WM device that comes close to the "Palm WM experience".

Anyone care to contradict, maybe I missed something?
    Quote Originally Posted by summiter View Post
    Anyway, I'm not here trying to start a debate...merely making informed observations. =)
    Fair enough and this is nothing personal or flamming
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/11/2007 at 04:47 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    That would make sense if they were releasing new products, but not for an update.

True.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12