Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to set up my wifes treo 700 wx with her system at work. I have no access to her office computer and her "IT" guy is away sick (hope nothing happens to their computers while he is away). Anyways I can get into her outlook at work and I have the domain name etc. How do I set this up? As a pop3 or imap??? Thanks in advance.
    You do not want to set it up through outlook, you have to do it through active synce...go to Menu, Configure Server...it will ask for the server address (exp...i work at cox and my server address is outlook.cx.com and its ssl encrypted.) hit next, it will ask you for the username, password and domain. this is what your wife uses to sign on the computer. Hit next and it should start to sync....Remember though you can not have a personal PC syncing outlook on the treo and the exchange service as well....
    you have to do it in Active Sync, not in Messaging/Outlook. Here's the process:

Launch the Active Sync app on the device - Start/Programs/Active Sync.

Hit the menu button and select 'Configure Server'. Then enter the following:

First screen:

Server Address: [the URL for her Outlook Web Access - OWA] without the http stuff

(do I check the SSL box?) YES

Next screen:

User Name: (her Windows NT User Name, just like you use on your laptop)

Password: her Windows NT password

Domain: her Windows Domain

(do I check 'Save Password' - ?) Yes, unless you want to enter each time you check mail

Do I need to do anything under the advanced tab? NO, don't go there, leave the defaults.

You can go into the next screen and modify the various settings for Email syncing, calendar, etc, if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
    Remember though you can not have a personal PC syncing outlook on the treo and the exchange service as well....
    not so - i do this all the time. The PC is smart enough to see that you have an Exchange relationship, and won't offer to sync the Exchange things (email, calendar, contacts, etc) but you can still use local PC Active Sync for things like file sync, and Notes, and any apps that use ActiveSync for their data connection - like PhatNotes, etc.

Both can be working on a device/PC relationship. I've found it works best to set up the Exchange side first, and then set up the PC partnership.
  5.    #5  
    ok....its taking a long time and the bar at the bootom is doing nothing. Oh...and thanks for the help everyone. Just to understand this further. I use her log in she uses to get onto the system at work correct? Not her name that shows up in outlook?
  6.    #6  
    It says syncronxzing folders under Exchange Server on active sync window.
  7.    #7  
    Can the domain name be differnt then the mail name? For instance server name is her-mail.her-server.com and domain name is www.her-company-name.com ?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    you have to do it in Active Sync, not in Messaging/Outlook. Here's the process:

Launch the Active Sync app on the device - Start/Programs/Active Sync.

Hit the menu button and select 'Configure Server'. Then enter the following:

First screen:

Server Address: [the URL for her Outlook Web Access - OWA] without the http stuff

(do I check the SSL box?) YES

Next screen:

User Name: (her Windows NT User Name, just like you use on your laptop)

Password: her Windows NT password

Domain: her Windows Domain << not sure what you mean here?

(do I check 'Save Password' - ?) Yes, unless you want to enter each time you check mail

Do I need to do anything under the advanced tab? NO, don't go there, leave the defaults.

You can go into the next screen and modify the various settings for Email syncing, calendar, etc, if you wish.
    This cant be this hard lol
    dude - it's the same things she uses to log on to her work PC. Sometimes called the 'NT logon credentials'.

Have her reboot her work PC, and watch as she enters her various passwords and logon info. It should really all be pretty simple.

Or this - have her access her OWA settings - Outlook Web Access. Everything she uses for that - assuming you and she know what that is - should be the same info that you'd need to put in the ActiveSync EAS settings.
  10.    #10  
    She doesnt have a clue. And she cant get any help at the office. I've tried everything and it doesnt sync. Oh well....no mail for her.
    I am also having difficulties logging onto my company's exchange server.

We do have OWA.

I get his message after I enter the server address, username, password, and domain, "No Microsoft Exchange was detected at the specified address. Click Retry to check the address again, or click Continue to configure your Pocket PC to synchronize with this server anyway."

Should I click "Continue?" I've tried and didn't get anywhere.

Shouldn't there be a place to enter my cell phone number?

My company supports Blueberries, but does not support any other PDA phones. After hours of trying different combinations, I'm beginning to believe they have exchange disabled for Smartphones.
    Many exchange servers also require a seperate certificate to gain access. Only your IT dept can supply this. It then needs to be installed on your device.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Here's a dumb question: My company has Exchange 2003 and supports OWA. I *assume* they also need to activate/install/whatever Exchange Active Sync if I want to use that with my Treo?? Or does simply having OWA available also mean that EAS is available?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    First and foremost. To the OP: Can you go to mail.yourdomain.com? Replace the yourdomain with the company's domain. If it comes up with HTTPS instead of HTTP then the IT department will have to give her a Certifcate for you device to access the Exchange. Also the company has to be runnign Exchange 2003 with SP2. Otherwise it will never work.

As for Minsc: Everything is installed if they have SP2 on their exchange. You need to find out if you are using SSL or not.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post

As for Minsc: Everything is installed if they have SP2 on their exchange. You need to find out if you are using SSL or not.
    Not sure about SP2, I can find out...

as far as SSL, I assume the answer is YES because when I access OWA, I need to use "https://".

I've tried configuring this in ActiveSync but it doesn't work. Based on your reply to the OP, I'm wondering if this is because I need a certificate from IT. Is that a big deal? I'm trying to anticipate what they might say if I ask them....
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    It can be a big deal only because you have to either create your own cert or obtain a cert for your domain. Hopefully your IT department already has this. If they do then it won't be a big deal. But this will also give them control over your phone's email. Possibly to the point of being able to wipe your phone for security purposes.
  17.    #17  
    Ok after hours of working on this here is whats up.

1. when I go to mail.her-company.com it comes up as not found. But in her Outlook thats the correct mail server.

2. Its a very small company and the IT person is gone. So they are screwed until they get a new one.

3. They have a web site www.her-company.com but that is the domain as well.

So I wait for a new IT person?
  18.    #18  
    so no oWA she is screwed?
    A co-worker of mine has the Treo 650p and is able to push email no problem. I can't get mine to work at all. My company has OWA but I can get Activesync to recognize the server address. My IT department will not share this information.

Are there settings for the Palm OS Treo that my co-worker friend could share with me to get mine to work? Or is he doing something you can only do with Palm desktop?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ar15 View Post
    A co-worker of mine has the Treo 650p and is able to push email no problem. I can't get mine to work at all. My company has OWA but I can get Activesync to recognize the server address. My IT department will not share this information.

Are there settings for the Palm OS Treo that my co-worker friend could share with me to get mine to work? Or is he doing something you can only do with Palm desktop?
    So let me get this straight. You have an OWA site but you can't get Active Sync to recognize the server name? Does your OWA use HTTPS or HTTP? See my post from earlier for explaination. Does the address of the OWA look like this: mail.yourdomain.com or mail.your-company.com? Make sure you don't put the HTTP or HTTPS in front of your mail servers address in Active Sync. Your friend might be using IMAP. That is a possibility. We need more info to help you on this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast