1.    #1  
    I love almost everything about my Treo.
    I can live the low res/quality screen but what the Treo absolutely, positively needs is "one touch voice notes".
    Having to go through a three step process to make a voice note is almost barbaric. Voice notes on a Treo is effectively rendered useless.
    Also, for the Treo and all Phone/PDA devices, they should make it capable of password protecting the PDA function, separate from the phone function. I am much more corned about someone gaining access to my personal information than I am about someone making calls on my lost device.
    I hope your listening Palm.
    Last edited by alejandroazgn; 07/01/2007 at 02:09 PM.
    Why don't you map the side button to Notes?

3.    #3  
    I did configure the side button for Notes, but after the Notes comes up, I still have to use the touch screen to click on New, and then on Options and then on View Recording Toolbar.
    Is there a shortcut through all of this?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alejandroazgn View Post
    I love almost everything about my Treo.
    I can live the low res/quality screen but what the Treo absolutely, positively needs is "one touch voice notes".
    Having to go through a three step process to make a voice note is almost barbaric. Voice notes on a Treo is effectively rendered useless.
    Also, for the Treo and all Phone/PDA devices, they should make it capable of password protecting the PDA function, separate from the phone function. I am much more corned about someone gaining access to my personal information than I am about someone making calls on my lost device.
    I hope your listening Palm.
    Yup, you can map it to the side button, and I think hannip posted a mortscript that will automatically start the recording, so it's essentially one-button to activate.

If you think the Treo is barbaric, try taking a voice memo on an iPhone, lol

(sorry couldn't resist )
  5.    #5  
    How can that be done?
    Thanks for your help.
  6.    #7  
    Thanks.
    So far, so good. I downloaded and installed it and now when I hold the side button, Notes comes up. But, I still have to hit New and then on the screen, touch the record button. Is there more to do so that I can have true one touch voice notes? Thanks.
    Did you assign the side button to "notes.exe" or to "record.mscr?"
  8.    #9  
    I don't see an option to assign the side button to either them.
    When I go into Settings/Button, the only viable option I see to assign to the side button is Notes. It sounds like I'm missing something here.
    Please advise. Thanks.
    I don't see an option to assign the side button to either them.
    When I go into Settings/Button, the only viable option I see to assign to the side button is Notes. It sounds like I'm missing something here.
    Please advise. Thanks.
    I just tried it, if you follow Hannips instructions exactly in that post it should work.

Did you copy the Record.mscr file into \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MortScript?

That control panel is a little awkward, but under:

"1:Select a button", make sure "Hold Side" is highlighted

and under:

"2:Assign a program", make sure "Record" is selected.

Also make sure MortScript is installed.
  10.    #11  
    You're talking about windows/startmenu/programs/mortscript on my Smartphone drive and not on the C: drive.
    On my Treo, in Programs, i see the MortScript Folder, and then when I click on it I see file that says record. When I click on that I get a message that tells me there is no application associated with it and that I should open it first, then open the file from within. But, how do I open the file first.
    Thanks.
    You're talking about windows/startmenu/programs/mortscript on my Smartphone drive and not on the C: drive.
    On my Treo, in Programs, i see the MortScript Folder, and then when I click on it I see file that says record. When I click on that I get a message that tells me there is no application associated with it and that I should open it first, then open the file from within. But, how do I open the file first.
    Thanks.
    Yes, that path is on your Treo, not your PC.

If you are getting "no application associated", you probably didn't install MortScript, download here:

http://mort.sto-helit.de/index.php?m...st&category=17
  12.    #13  
    OK. Now my unit shows MortScript as installed, but when I go to Button Assignment, there is no Recorder.
  13.    #14  
    Also, should I be installing the PNA, PPC or SP version
    Also, should I be installing the PNA, PPC or SP version
    Should be PPC.
  15.    #16  
    Got it. Finally.
    Had to drag the "record" file from my C: drive down into MortScript.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    Too bad Treo doesn't make such things obvious. Its like pulling teeth.
    Now if they could just allow us to password protect the PPC data rather than the entire phone.
    Got it. Finally.
    Had to drag the "record" file from my C: drive down into MortScript.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    Too bad Treo doesn't make such things obvious. Its like pulling teeth.
    Agreed, it would be nice if it was built-in functionality.
    I think if you had followed the instructions *exactly*, it would've worked first time, but live and learn

Now if they could just allow us to password protect the PPC data rather than the entire phone.
    Do some searching, I'm sure there is something out there that does what you want...
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    the awesome thing about the treo 700 series is that it turns posts like this from a 'why can't i' into a 'how to'