1.    #1  
    OK all. I have done my due diligence searching. I have Googled for about 45 minutes and searched 5 or 6 of the bigger phone forums. And although I have seen this question posed several times I have never seen an answer. So that should tell me that it is not possible, but here it goes anyway.

Is there any way in WM5 to create a shortcut that will dial a phone number. I know there are ways to use Mortscript, tools from vijay and other apps. But I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. With all of the other things I have seen accomplished through shortcuts, this one seems possible. Any ideas?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Create a text file with this in it.

20#"\Windows\cprog.exe"-url tel: PutNumbersHere

Where "PutNumberHere" is the actual phone number.
    And "cprog.exe" is the phone program(I think it should be the same on most phone).

And save it.
    Then rename the extension from .txt to .lnk
    ( that's "L" in as in "L(i)nk" )
    Say, the text you created is QuikDial.txt rename it to QuikDial.lnk

Put the file on your phone and tap on it will open a prompt with the number, just press the call button will dial that number.

That's it. No extra software needed. Just put that .lnk file where ever easy for you to access(Today's screen, Start menu).

By the way, if you want to make it easier to create the link, install mortscript and create a script to create the link with your input for you.
    I've created one where when you run the script, it will ask you to input phone number & name.
    Then it will create the link file. You could then click on this link file to dial the number.

If you want that, I'll post it here.
    Last edited by CyberT777; 06/30/2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Extra Info.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberT777 View Post

Where "PutNumberHere" is the actual phone number.
    And "cprog.exe" is the phone program(I think it should be the same on most phone).

And save it.
    Then rename the extension from .txt to .lnk
    ( that's "L" in as in "L(i)nk" )
    Say, the text you created is QuikDial.txt rename it to QuikDial.lnk

Put the file on your phone and tap on it will open a prompt with the number, just press the call button will dial that number.

That's it. No extra software needed. Just put that .lnk file where ever easy for you to access(Today's screen, Start menu).

By the way, if you want to make it easier to create the link, install mortscript and create a script to create the link with your input for you.
    I've created one where when you run the script, it will ask you to input phone number & name.
    Then it will create the link file. You could then click on this link file to dial the number.

If you want that, I'll post it here.
    Major props for knowing WM so well. Do you work in the industry?

Surur
    Very nice CyberT777! I love how this area is growing in expertise.

Are there any other params that cprog supports?
  5.    #5  

Thanks for the detailed post. I really appreciate it. That works great.
    Last edited by conekkted; 06/30/2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  6.    #6  
    Then it will create the link file. You could then click on this link file to dial the number. If you want that, I'll post it here.
    Please post if you can. With your ideas I created a MortScript that calls the number without having to press the send button after cprog.exe is invoked. But your method of creating one for each number sounds better. For those interested here is the code (I have a WM 750)

Run("\Windows\cprog.exe", "-url tel: 404-555-1212")
    Sleep(500)
    SendLeftSoft

And some of you may be reading this and saying what is the point? Speed dial and several other dialing methods work just as well. Unfortunately Good's push mail totally screws up the phone features on my 750. It makes speed dial unreliable. So i am creating my own speed dials inside my SmallMenuPlus menu tree. This will allow me to launch all programs, IE favorites, control panel/settings, music and now phone numbers through my start menu.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    conekkted
    I did that with the mortscript too! just didn't put "Sleep(500)" in the code. It still works, may be my phone can do it fast enough(not much junk in there).

Anyway, for the code I mention, little to explain here:
    1. When you run the script, it will prompt you for Number & Name.
    2. Then it will create a script file with the phone number as file name.
    3. It will also create a link(.lnk) file with "Name" as file name.

I did that because I had been passing it along to my friends and some of them like to have "Name" as filename. Some like it with "Phone Number".

The script created will dial the number right away, no extra button to push(1 touch dialing).

Anyway, you could change it as you which. Just edit the line. Delete the line that create the link if you don't want to have both .mscr & .lnk since the link will call the mscr anyway.

4. I'm very new to this script thing myself. So I have to work around some problem to get it to work this way. Therefore it might look messy.
    if anyone can modify the code to make it more clean, please post it here for us too.

Here goes:

1. In order for this to work, you have to create 2 text file(very small), 2 Folders, and the script.
    1.1 The first text file can be empty. Name it "dial.txt"
    1.2 The second text file put this in it and name it "code.txt"

Run ( "\Windows\cprog.exe","-url tel: " )
    SendLeftSoft
    Exit

1.3 First Folder Name it "QuickDial" and place it in "Program Files" folder on your phone. Put the text files and the script in here.
    1.4 Second folder call it "Links" and put it inside the "QuickDial folder.
    This is where the link to dial phone will be kept.

2. For the script that we're going to use, here's the code:

I1 = Input("Enter Phone Number:", "Phone",1,0)
    I2 = Input("Enter Name:", "Name",0,0)

D = ReadFile("Program Files\QuickDial\code.txt")

S1 = SubStr( D, 1, 38 )
    S2 = SubStr( D, 39 )

WriteFile( "\Program Files\QuickDial\dial.txt", S1&I1&S2, 0 )
    Copy( "\Program Files\QuickDial\Dial.txt", "\Program Files\QuickDial\Links\"&I1&".mscr", 1)
    CreateShortcut("\Program Files\QuickDial\Links\"&I2&".lnk", "\Program Files\QuickDial\Links\"&I1&".mscr")

Exit

Save the script with any name you like but make sure it has ".mscr" as extension.

When you execute the code, "I1" is the "Input" for phone#
    "I2" is for "Name"

Next part is

D = ReadFile("Program Files\QuickDial\code.txt")
    S1 = SubStr( D, 1, 38 )
    S2 = SubStr( D, 39 )

Will read the file "Code.txt" from the folder "QuickDial" in "Program Files"
    "S1" will strip the first part of the needed code(from beginning to "tel: ")
    "S2" will strip the remain to the end.

Next,
    WriteFile( "\Program Files\QuickDial\dial.txt", S1&I1&S2, 0 )

-will write the code to "dial.txt" using variables "S1", "I1" & "S2"
    -it will then look like this:
    Run ( "\Windows\cprog.exe","-url tel: The#youInput" )
    SendLeftSoft
    Exit

-The last part will rename the "dial.txt" into ".mscr" and copy that to folder "Links" for easy access and differentiate.

Copy( "\Program Files\QuickDial\Dial.txt", "\Program Files\QuickDial\Links\"&I1&".mscr", 1)
    -Will use "I1"(Phone as file name) change to "I2" if you want to use "Name" instead.
    -Important: if you change this line you must change the "I1" on the next line as well.

Then it will create shortcut to the script. Delete this line if you dont need the shortcut.

CreateShortcut("\Program Files\QuickDial\Links\"&I2&".lnk", "\Program Files\QuickDial\Links\"&I1&".mscr")

-Will use "I2"(Name as "name.lnk") change to "I1" if you want to use "Phone" instead.

For those that are not into coding, go download it here:
    http://download.yousendit.com/506B869D024DBE12

Extract and put the QuickDial folder into your phone's "Program files" folder.
    Then run the "QDial.mscr"
    Nice work Cyber
  9.    #9  
    Wow. Excellent detail. Thanks for taking the time to write this. I will definitely give it a try.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT