Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Nearly all my complaints against this phone have disappeared by changing the network selection from Auto to GSM. (Phone Settings --> Services --> Band Selection)

Battery life is like 3X better: After a whole day I have lost only 9% of my battery life.

NO more dropped calls. It appears the phone drops calls as it switches between different band qualities.

Unless you live in a UTMS intensive area, my opinion is: set your email delivery (for daily usage) through GSM and just switch over when you're going on a trip or need more bandwith for a couple of days.

Just my opinion, YMMW
    I had changed this previous to seeing your post. Another big drain is having the autosync on for anytime because it will still query the server. I do it manually. Big difference
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    I just tried it- for the first time- and it works. So I'll be watching the connection and see if it improves.
    I dont have the high speed- just gprs or edge so the GSM settings will work great-
    (or it might not make a difference)
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    After going to GSM which band setting for GSM do I pick, GSM 900+1800 or 1900+850 or do I leave that setting on auto? Thanks
    You could leave that on auto. Don't that the bands matter much as the GSM/GPRS/EDGE versus UMTS/HSDPA network selection.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Where I live and where I work in NYC - I get serious 3G service so I would never
    switch it off. There was a reason I bought a 3G phone in the first place. I guess if you don't have UMTS by you this is cool, but otherwise I just don't understand it.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    I guess if you don't have UMTS by you this is cool, but otherwise I just don't understand it.
    Battery life, dude.....it's all about battery life. I can just about squeeze about a full day of minor use without charging during the day and that's with the Auto setting and spending much of my day in the city. I am fortunate enough to be able to charge my device at work. I guess some are not around a charging source.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    Where I live and where I work in NYC - I get serious 3G service so I would never
    switch it off. There was a reason I bought a 3G phone in the first place. I guess if you don't have UMTS by you this is cool, but otherwise I just don't understand it.
    I made the switch months ago and never looked back...trust me, even here it goes in and out all the time, and in places that it shouldn't
    I'll have to give this a shot. I've noticed at my apartment sometimes I'll be on a call and all of a sudden it drops it. I look at the screen and it has handed off from U to G, so the call got dropped during the hand off. The odd thing is that if I go into my living room, it will go back to U. At work it's really weird, I actually dropped a call while on U. It never changed to G and it sholdn't be an issue reception wise but when I looked at the screen, it was a little u with two arrows, one pointing to the right and one pointing to the left. Usually the u is capitalized with a block around it. Also, I can set the phone on my desk and watch the signal strength fluctuate without moving it. Kind of embarrasing though, I have this great phone but it drops calls randomly.
    Does AT&T have your IMEI in their system, do you have a 3G SIM, and is "UMTS Compatible" on your account's feature list? I'm not sure but I think the lack of one of these things can contribute to calls dropping between GSM and UMTS.

I have NEVER experienced a drop going between UMTS and GSM. But networks are different everywhere and it could just be that in my area the network is set up so that doesn't happen.

I personally never had much of a battery problem on my Treo. I end my day with plenty of battery left. But I don't use MS activesync push mail, I use Seven Mail (Beta) and uses hardly any battery all day.
    Taylorh, yes AT&T has my IMEI number and it's a 3G SIM. I purchased the phone at the local corp store from a friend who works there. He loaded everything including the SIM in the box right in front of me as he programed the phone. My battery life is fine, I don't have email set up to grab it every xx minutes, I figure if I want it, I'll download it. My battery is usually fine. I don't run heavy applications all day or anything, it's mainly a phone and calander device as far as my uses go. I do have slingplayer loaded on it but only check that out every few days, that is more of a novelty thing.

So, I'm not sure why I get the dropped calls. Now and then I will also get a silence period of about 4-5 seconds while on a call. They cannot hear me and I can't hear them, then the call comes back. Like I said, the odd thing is when I'm at work I will set the phone down on the desk and I can watch the signal for the U reception fluctuate without even touching the phone. I'm located in Bellevue Washington (Seattle area) about 1.5 miles down the road from Microsoft head quarters.
    is there a quick way to switch between the two modes?
    it takes many clicks as it is through "phone settings", is there any shortcut/app that will enable quick-switch?

thanks,
    Ix
    Ive switched a few days ago and haven't noticed any change so far... battery life seems the same
    I started doing this a few months back. You are right, there is an amazing battery improvement. The speed difference on e-mail isn't noticable. Web-browsing is, but is acceptable. The only thing I miss is simultaneous data & voice.

That said: I haven't used 3G in months.It's not worth the battery loss to me.

I wish there was an easy way to turn off 3G on my 8525.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  15. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Remember that with GSM, you can't do phone and data at the same time.
    This is hilarious. Yes, let's all get our hands on this beauty and enjoy HSDPA (thanks to someone's genius hack. You know who you are. ), only to take it down to GSM. My battery life is largely unaffected.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

I live in a stupid country with bad 3G... so the idea to make the band manual is great, i'm using that setting from the first time i bought 750v.

no more drop call ^^
    I'm guessing having an unlocked 750 on Tmobile would provide NO benefit from doing this right? ...since tmo doesn't have 3g and when they do, it won't be on the same frequency bands that the 750 is capable of.
    Wow! At my desk here at work I went from 1 bar to full reception. The phone ring delay went from 3 rings until the phone registers that someone is calling to almost real time. Have not had time to test battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    I'm guessing having an unlocked 750 on Tmobile would provide NO benefit from doing this right? ...since tmo doesn't have 3g and when they do, it won't be on the same frequency bands that the 750 is capable of.
    I would definitely do it then, in case it keeps looking for 3g connections
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast