Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    as for the above comment about using phone and data at the same time, this is correct.

also remember that on VZW & Sprint you can't do this even on 3G (EVDO)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  2. riy
    For those who changed your settings, I just bought a tre 750 from att 2 weeks ago. Battery life was good until a few days ago when I setup email to auto check every 60 minutes. With light usage, I'm down to 25% battery after 8-9hrs. where before email setup I had 1/2 battery left after 12-14hrs and maybe 60min. talk time. I also notice the phone switch from G full bars to U 1 or 2 bars in different areas.

Question is, if I leave auto sync alone- (check email every 60 min.) and change the auto network to gsm will there be a major battery life change or is the auto sync a battery killer regardless of the band. I have no issue with dropped calls etc. regardless of the band

Thanks.
    Edit: I am using Pocket Outlook to check my pop mail acccount every 60 min. Not Goodlink
    Last edited by riy; 07/13/2007 at 07:18 PM.
    When you get a weak 3G signal, force the phone to GSM. Otherwise, it will just ping pong back and forth and drop the call in the process. I've found that to be a good solution for the manual switch.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Hi,

Is there any way to enable 3G by script? So I'll switch it easily when needed to go faster?

Thanks!
    Before changing the band to GSM all the time I would have it on auto and email to check every 60 mins. I have three email account so it checks quite a bit. After I changed it to GSM all the time, I get about double the battery life. I didn't touch the email settins. So switching back and forth from GSM to UMTS is the real battery killer. How I just switch to UMTS whever I need the speed or have my palm plugged into a charger.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Since I got my 750 Monday I have been pissed off at the signal.. I work in Downtown Austin and I always had full signal with my Treo 680.. I did this here and put it to GSM only.. My antenna went straight to FULL!

THANK YOU so very much!
    It's kind of funny. Most of the time I'm locking my Treo to UMTS to keep it from falling back to GSM.
    I've just changed it from auto to manual. Up 'till now I could make it throught the day on one charge, let's see if this helps.

The other thing I'm curious about is the changing between gsm and umts, that sometimes (once a day) made my phone completely lose connection to the network. Had to perform a soft reset to get it connected again. hopefully that's also gone now.
    A range of models > Then came the Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Hey everyone ... I have been thinking about getting the 750. My wife has the Blackjack I. On her phone, I went into the explorer and placed a shortcut in her phone start menu. It is called bandsel.exe. When I go into that, the choices are AUTO, GSM 850, GSM 1900, WCDMA. This is good for when we go certain places where at&t is on 1900, and Centennial Wireless is on 850 and we get better coverage with Centennial. I leave her phone on GSM 850 and it stays on Centennial.

Is there a way to get this same menu on the 750? I know you can choose between GSM and UMTS ... but is there a way to get it to allow me to pick the actual band 850 or 1900 ... not just generic GSM?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/02/2008 at 02:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have manually had my phone set to umts for many months now. I live in NYC strong 3G area. But what i found was that sometimes it would be searching on automatic for upwards of 20-30 minutes before establishing a connection. by manually setting it to umts I have a more stable connection. Even more importantly in certain buildings where I go for meeting the connection would drop to 1 baron the treo... With automatic it starts searching and finds nothing.. With manual it stays at 3G one bar and this works for both data and phone... the only caveat is if you travel out of 3G area make sure to reset the phone to GSM(Edge)

Elihu
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    as for the above comment about using phone and data at the same time, this is correct.

also remember that on VZW & Sprint you can't do this even on 3G (EVDO)
    You can disable the EVDO on Motorola Phones with Verizon. Youchange the HDR setting from Auto to CDMA...
    see: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=688023
    And yes, people do it to extend battery life...

voice and data work at the same time under EVDO.
    don't get me started about how much faster EVDO is than AT&T 3G, and more wide spread (sorry at&t, more bars in more places, in the USA anyway).
    Last edited by mtiberio; 10/06/2008 at 08:09 AM.
    This thread has been helpful to me for the opposite reason.

Where I live here in the Santa Cruz, CA area there are 3G towers mixed with GPRS towers, and the signal from the latter is stronger. I get 1-2 bars from the 3G towers in the area, and a full 5 bars for GPRS (with EDGE) in most places.

The phone seems to prefer 3G even at lower signal strength (makes sense), so tends to lock on these. However, it's by no means consistent, and flips over to EDGE frequently.

Now, here's the rub: I get qiute good data performance (~500kbps) from the 3G towers even with 1 signal bar. With none (but still not searching -- connected) I get decent performance in the 100-200kbps range.

On EDGE, when the signal is 2 bars or less, I can't even get a successful DNS lookup in any reasonable amount of time ("Locating..." in PIE). At 5 bars, the best data rate I've ever seen on EDGE around here is around 120kbps.

I didn't know about the network selection feature. Went in and changed it from "Auto" to "UTMS". Now I don't ever leave the 3G lock all around the area, and my data connection is awesomely usable here now.

I'll charge the phone 1.023e+26 times a day to have an actually usable data connection. I can stream video now from my ORB server at home -- finally.
    dwallersv: Do you have True Push email all set up??
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    dwallersv: Do you have True Push email all set up??
    Don't know what that is.

I'm polling a POP server for my mail periodically. When my battery is an issue, I disable it temporarily.
    Push email is where you do NOT have to lift a finger to see if you have mail. The Blackberry's are the very best at this. When an email hits your inbox, it immediately shows up on the Blackberry as well.

mail2web and seven are supposedly two services worth looking at in order to have Push enabled on Windows Mobile as well. In fact, PUSH is advertised as a feature as part of the Treo Pro, and Windows Mobile devices in general.

I have yet to figure this out.

Am I doing something wrong or does Push email, when turned on, draw a LOT of power?? This is a fairly high-capacity battery, and I'm having to charge it once a day with, during the past two days, very light usage, but with Push ON!???

Ok, I tried it again. I switched this over to GSM only and then went to my favorite internet speed test (http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1). I tried the test with GSM, and I got 7K/sec., then 34K/sec., then 4k/sec.

Then I switched back to Auto, and tried the test again, a few times. I got 681k/sec., then 315k/sec., then 589k/sec., then 523k/sec.

So, really, it might save you battery life, but who cares if you cannot use the interweb? Or, my fault, maybe the person who posted this only uses their phone for phone and PDA and doesn't use it for interweb. In that case, it might be better for battery life, because slower speed means less power usage.

Hey, people, try the same test I did.
    What's interweb. Is the Internet finally passe? Is this like i2?

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    What's interweb. ..?
    Oh, some people on the internet/web have merged the words, and created a new word for it: interweb.

I'm just trying to be cool, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
    Oh, some people on the internet/web have merged the words, and created a new word for it: interweb.

I'm just trying to be cool, man.
    So they aren't content with the existing word "web" that they had to create a new slang?
    You know what the difference is between the Internet and the web?
    The internet is the infrastucture of the physical network. The web something you do on the Internet. So it's unnecessary to include "inter" in the description. It's kind of like saying the ineremail, or the intervoip, or the interIM.
    I'm not trying to be all nerdy and corrective here, it's no big deal. It's just funny how poeple create new words out of (ignorance) of the original words
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast