Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Has anybody had Windows Live Search do an update on their device yet? I just used it a while ago, and it asked me if I wanted to, I did, and it downloaded a CAB that I installed. I am not sure what improvements/changes have been made, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I checked their site, but didn't see anything. Here is the updated CAB if anyone is interested:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hmmm, haven't seen it yet, and I've been using it a lot lately. Have to take a look at it. Thanks for the heads-up. If I notice anything, I'll mention it.
    END OF LINE
    Live Search on my device suggested an update about a week ago or so, and I installed it. All good from what I can see (although still no 'My Location' working. meh.)
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I downloaded the update and it appears to have added an intermediate GPS driver so you can check your location? Kind of like Google Maps perhaps? I'm indoors though and haven't seen if it will work with the Treo and no GPS.
    They've had GPS support for quite some time. But it still requires an external BT GPS unit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Live Search on my device suggested an update about a week ago or so, and I installed it. All good from what I can see (although still no 'My Location' working. meh.)
    I think your thinking of the 'My Location' on Google Maps. Another great app I use. Who knows when (if) that will be enabled on Treo's, but it should be great if/when it does!!!

The GPS on Live looks cool as well, almost makes me wish I went the GPS on the PDA route before I purchased a stand-alone TomTom LOL!!!
    oops - I mixed up my apps. Yes, my reference to 'My Location' was indeed on Google Maps. But, nonetheless, Live Search did offer/require me that update last week.

And I'll say, as I stated in an earlier post on this same thread, that GPS on Live Search is WAY better, right now, than with Google Maps. Very nice.
    I think they tweaked the feedback screens a bit as well, I looked up a movie this weekend, and it had a tabed look on top that switched from theatres to movies/times....I don't remember that from before. I wish I had the GPS now, Live's maps look almost as snazzy as GoogleMaps....I may have to make a tough decision soon LOL!!!!! (NOT...Live works great on my memory card, and Google really doesn't take too much space, so I can deal with both!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    I think they tweaked the feedback screens a bit as well, I looked up a movie this weekend, and it had a tabed look on top that switched from theatres to movies/times....I don't remember that from before. I wish I had the GPS now, Live's maps look almost as snazzy as GoogleMaps....I may have to make a tough decision soon LOL!!!!! (NOT...Live works great on my memory card, and Google really doesn't take too much space, so I can deal with both!!!)

That tabbed movie interface was there from the 2.0 (?) version that included the Voice Search - at least I've seen it for a couple of months or so...

Yesssss....get a GPS unit - you'll really dig the app much better. www.buygpsnow.com and hunt up the Holux GPSlim (no I don't work for them) or get that little keychain one from the treocentral store..
    The December update just fixed a few bad bugs; there were no feature changes.

BTW I am doing some infrequent blogging. There are a few useful tips in the most recent entries. See http://geekraver.spaces.live.com/
    geek, I noticed your post on your blog about the Sprint phone cab file and the home screen (by that I assume you mean Today screen?) icon. My question to you is - I have a Verizon 700wx - will running that cab file do anything for me, and what exactly does that cab file do? (ok - that was two questions).

Thanks.
    Awesome app Zonku. I even got my dad, a bit of a techonophobe, hooked. The speech recognition makes it truly amazing. I still can't believe that a program taking up such a small footprint in my devices memory can be so powerful. Two questions: Why are search results limited to 25 listings. Is there a setting to expand the selection to show more? Also, the application seems to be built primarily for business listings - however, if I say a residential name and then go to the menu button and click off the business check mark, the residential listing I check for usually appears. Is there any way to have it default to a residential search instead of this backhanded way of getting to the residential listing (it is kind of difficult when you are driving). Thanks. Steven
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    geek, I noticed your post on your blog about the Sprint phone cab file and the home screen (by that I assume you mean Today screen?) icon. My question to you is - I have a Verizon 700wx - will running that cab file do anything for me, and what exactly does that cab file do? (ok - that was two questions).

Thanks.
    No, that CAB is only for Sprint phones that come out of the box with a Today screen shortcut to a pre-installed copy of Live Search. The shortcut points to a different location to where we currently install the app; the CAB adds a dummy app in the old location that can start the real app.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabr49 View Post
    Awesome app Zonku. I even got my dad, a bit of a techonophobe, hooked. The speech recognition makes it truly amazing. I still can't believe that a program taking up such a small footprint in my devices memory can be so powerful. Two questions: Why are search results limited to 25 listings. Is there a setting to expand the selection to show more? Also, the application seems to be built primarily for business listings - however, if I say a residential name and then go to the menu button and click off the business check mark, the residential listing I check for usually appears. Is there any way to have it default to a residential search instead of this backhanded way of getting to the residential listing (it is kind of difficult when you are driving). Thanks. Steven
    In the search results, if you click Menu - View you will see checkboxes that will allow you to filter by business/residential.
    Quote Originally Posted by zonku View Post
    No, that CAB is only for Sprint phones that come out of the box with a Today screen shortcut to a pre-installed copy of Live Search. The shortcut points to a different location to where we currently install the app; the CAB adds a dummy app in the old location that can start the real app.

Ok I get ya, but now my question becomes - is there any way a non-Sprint device could end up with a Today screen icon for Live Search? (yes I know, this seems a little dumb to ask this, and yes I have Live Search put into my Start menu, but hey) - I'm more curious than anything else to see what this would look like....

Hook us up brother man!
    Quote Originally Posted by zonku View Post
    In the search results, if you click Menu - View you will see checkboxes that will allow you to filter by business/residential.
    I understood that you can bring up the residential listings but my question is how do I have it default to only residential. Now you may say who cares if both are coming up you will find it in the results, ergo my first question, if you are only listing 25 results that seem to show business listings first (I tried searching with a bunch of residential names and the business listings always come up until the business check mark is unchecked) the residential will never come up until you click off the business check mark which makes it quite annoying and backhanded to get to.
    Wow, this is awesome. I've been using Live Search primarily for traffic, since it's far more accurate in Houston than Google Maps, and easier to read and update than the Houston Transtar website, but I just set it up to use my GPS receiver and it looks a lot better than Google Maps.
    Anyone know where to download the latest version? I cant seem to find a cab download on MS's site.
    does this not work? wls.live.com on your device browser....
    If only it worked for Canadian cities etc, that would be mint! lol Ah well.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345