Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    so if I read zonku right - as long as I specify the bluetooth gps com port in my settings, I'll be able to use an external bluetooth gps?

I might just go to buygpsnow and get a cheapo $30 receiver....

This is why I HATE browsing treocentral - everytime I visit, I freaking find so many cool things, making me want to buy other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by stupenal View Post
    so if I read zonku right - as long as I specify the bluetooth gps com port in my settings, I'll be able to use an external bluetooth gps?
    I've been doing this for months - works really well.
    END OF LINE
    I've got a strange issue that seems to somehow be related to LiveSearch. On my Treo750 running WM6, I have Live Search installed to my miniSD. If I open up LiveSearch and leave it on until the screen turns itself off after two minutes, when I press any of the hard buttons to turn the screen on, the backlight on the keyboard comes on but the screen does not, and the only thing I can do is soft reset. My keyguard auto engages 5 seconds after the screen goes off. This doesn't seem to occur with any other app in the same fashion..anyone else seen this?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    and if anyone is using Live Search witout a GPS, thinking 'hey this is cool enough without hooking up to a GPS receiver; I can roll without one' - think again my friends. Here's why:

I'd been using Google Maps with my little tiny Holux GPSlim unit, and I thought that was a pretty good solution - no, not as good as Tom Tom or Garmin or even TeleNav, but it did what I wanted. Would give me directions and route location, using my GPS unit. I <thought> (note the past tense) that was as good as it would get, with a free app. I'd tested Live Search in the past and didn't really like it as well as Google Maps.

So once MS released the new version, I grabbed it and while yes, the Voice Input is cool, I actually don't think that's the best part. It's a good part, but I think their GPS interaction is better than Google Maps. Here are the two reasons why:

1. Live Search will show a decrementing distance to your next turn - which is HUGE. Very much like those paid GPS apps (yes I know it's not AS good as those, but it's close), you can see how far until your next turn. Google Maps didn't do that - yes they'll probably add it - and not having that 'next turn' indication messed me up once or twice.
    2. The little moving arrow/location indicator with Live Search is MUCH better than the little blue dot that Google Maps gives. You can really tell which direction you're going, which makes a difference for someone who travels a lot, which I do.

So having voice input was really just icing on the cake for me.

I just bet that MS and Google will continue to innovate and improve, which makes us the consumer the ultimate winner!
    I totally agree. The app just keeps getting better and better... I'm totally digging it.
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    I totally agree. The app just keeps getting better and better... I'm totally digging it.
    I agree. I'm just wondering why it's free. Are popup ads or their equivalent coming?
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I've got a strange issue that seems to somehow be related to LiveSearch. On my Treo750 running WM6, I have Live Search installed to my miniSD. If I open up LiveSearch and leave it on until the screen turns itself off after two minutes, when I press any of the hard buttons to turn the screen on, the backlight on the keyboard comes on but the screen does not, and the only thing I can do is soft reset. My keyguard auto engages 5 seconds after the screen goes off. This doesn't seem to occur with any other app in the same fashion..anyone else seen this?
    Try turning off speech in the settings. We've heard some reports of problems with resuming from sleep when speech is enabled on some devices that have SD cards installed. We're trying to identify the cause of this, but for now I recommend turning it off (and let us know if that fixes the problem!).
    Quote Originally Posted by zonku View Post
    Try turning off speech in the settings. We've heard some reports of problems with resuming from sleep when speech is enabled on some devices that have SD cards installed. We're trying to identify the cause of this, but for now I recommend turning it off (and let us know if that fixes the problem!).
    Trying it out..first test looks like that helps..will keep you posted and thanks for the tip!

If installed to main memory does the problem persist or no? Guess I could try that too but don't have much room left

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Trying it out..first test looks like that helps..will keep you posted and thanks for the tip!

If installed to main memory does the problem persist or no? Guess I could try that too but don't have much room left
    Yes, it will still happen, unfortunately.
    C'mon Zonku - surely you guys won't let Google get the best of you when it comes to contact integration with this app.

You know, I'm sure, that Google Maps adds a cool little contact plug in into the Menu function in contacts - when I'm looking at a contact record, I can hit Menu and the plug in that Google adds shows 'Locate in Google Maps'.

If they can do it, I have to to bet you can do it even better. Yes?

Yes I know I can lookup a contact from within the WLS app, but still - theirs seems, I don't know - cooler.

I'm hoping that's on the list of things being worked on....
    Google based their contact integration code on a sample app in the WM SDK. That app had a bug in which Google replicated, which prevented other contacts add-ins from playing nicely if they were installed alongside (basically if you installed us after GMM, selecting "Map with Google" from the contacts menu would invoke *our* app - you can imagine the kind of press we would have got about that!). We discovered this issue when we built contacts integration ourselves, because we too initially added the same bug. Because Google had already shipped, we decided to pull this feature from our client and inform Google about the bug and what they needed to do to fix it. They have since shipped a fix, and so in our next release we'll finally ship contacts integration too.
    cool - thanks. Of course the next question is - any hints on a timeframe for that next release??

Appreciate the info.
    keyboard shortcuts for zoom in/out would be nice too among others. having to click the center button then choose to zoom in or out is a little more cumbersome.

I too would like 'I' for Zoom in, and 'O' for Zoom out - but, there is one nice thing about the Center Zoom thing. Two actually.

When you click the Center 5-way to start the Zoom process, you don't actually have to select the Zoom In/Out soft key. You can hit the center button again, the zoom in will happen on its own (this only works for the In part, unfortunately).

One other thing - when you frame the map with the Center button, you can also reposition the Zoom area with the 5-way - move the little blue frame around if you want. Not all that useful really, but it's something to know.

But yes as a general rule I'd prefer the I for in, and O for out - or something similar.
    Zonku and the others - I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me out! I received my bluetooth gps receiver ($30 shipped +/- from www.buygpsnow.com) and paired it with MS Live search while driving to work. I was expecting voice turn by turn for some reason, so I was a bit dissapointed when I heard nothing.

However, the turn by turn directions is WAY better than google maps. I also enjoy the countdown of distance until the next turn, very helpful. For a free app, i have absolutely NO complaints.

Only complaints have already been echoed by others - slow load time. Also, I prefer google maps traffic indicators - it's a bit more clear and easy to see. Since I live in LA, traffic is so crucial to me that I may just end up using both programs (although not simultaneously).

Thanks again for creating such a wonderful app and answering questions!
    Zonku - one question about reroute, that I've noticed.

Took off an a route today, using my GPS. I went off route on purpose, and it did give me the 'do you want to reroute from here?' thing, which was good. But - the route it redid was mostly based on my old route (it wanted me to u-turn & just head back on that original route. That by itself was not a big deal, but this was - the reroute didn't seem to 'sense' that I was heading AWAY from that route. Rather than re-doing the route again, it just shwed me how far away I was (incrementing, rather than decrementing) the distance to the first turn. So I guess the reroute process needs to be improved to reflect actual & updated location. Just telling me I'm farther away from the rerouted start point doesn't really do much good. And - the reroute was only offered once. (I guess the reroute couldn't sense which WAY I was going & thus didn't compensate for my actual location).

Any changes there would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    Yes, the rerouter does need more work. Right now it is fairly basic; if the distance off the route exceeds some threshhold we will prompt. We then reroute point-to-point (we can't use current direction as the back-end doesn't support that; we're using a back end that was really designed for fixed point routing in desktop browsers). We then won't prompt again unless you converge with the route and once again diverge.

Things will get better as we refine the algorithms on the client and as the back-end capabilities improve.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Awesome!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stupenal View Post
    Zonku and the others - I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me out! I received my bluetooth gps receiver ($30 shipped +/- from www.buygpsnow.com) and paired it with MS Live search while driving to work.

For 30 bucks I wouldnt mind having a BT GPS to play with. I cant seem to find that on the site. Do you have a model number? Or link?
    I have been using Live Search with the voice recognition for a while, and am amazed how well it works. To me. it's a killer app for WM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast